Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
{LB}DarkBabylon Feb 17 @ 11:20am
A "evolution" game
Hello, and first of let me tell you something...
By "evolution" I mean "growing" but the general public as of current accepts "evolution" to be more recognized when it comes to physical changes to a living thing(Thank you The Pokemon Company)

I have two ideas for a game, but it is still in a blueprint stage, it's only a general idea, and still think what key milestones do I need to reach to make the game(Such as key features, graphic design AND PLATFORM[yeah, that early, can barely call it a development atm])

As of current I have these two ideas actually, but take on the same theme.
The first one, a co-op sort of thing with several creatures which can upgrade themselves throughout the game, basically RPG but taking on a little bit into survival, by that the NPCs are not the only enemy, but also the enviroment. (though some of you might note that I might have taken it from starbound, and I am not going to make excuses, I'll just ignore those comments for an obvious reason) The co-op here is more into puzzles, but have beat'em'ups with a rather advanced combat system.(Combos are op lolz)

The second one, less relevant to greenlight, though I wanted to make something under THAT category, however as of current want to make either. Less complicated, and more towards children and tablets, basically make a virtual pet, and yes this is inspired by tamagochis, however more into the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2(I believe also in Sonic Advance?) as in not having one pet but to have several with interractions with one another, while also giving the player a good amount of interaction. If I remember one thing I've spent about almost a year, even more, just because of the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure, however here is why it won't be related to greenlight: It's problematic to make a tamagochi game on a PC. Generally it's a pick and play, and major flaw with this is the PC is not made for that.(unless somehow you lost internet connection for the weekend and can't play with your guild in WoW) And thing is, I really want there to be a game like this, but for the past few months I've been thinking "maybe I'll make it?" and in the way I think would make it a great virtual pet!

The latter as you can see is pretty much planned out with the direction of how it would operate and without too much info, I would say I even have in my mind how the end result would be.
The first idea I also have a general direction, and some key features, however, it is a complex idea and may take years before I could make a decent early beta as I have little to no experience with coding games outside Game Maker platform all by myself.

Here is the question I would like to discuss:
The first idea would definetly be made on the PC and be viewed in Greenlight if I'll manage to make a tech-demo at the very least. The other idea would be made into an Android but will be very different but to me would be interesting and not too complex, as android software development time expectencey is at least 5 months.
My question is: Which game would you be interested in playing? A co-op grow'em'up with a slight touch from terraria's and/or Starbound's world generation or a pet garden in your pocket?
Last edited by {LB}DarkBabylon; Feb 17 @ 11:27am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 17 @ 12:35pm 
There is a game called "evolva" on gog.com if you are interested in an evolution based game.

Originally posted by {LB}DarkBabylon:
Hello, and first of let me tell you something...
By "evolution" I mean "growing" but the general public as of current accepts "evolution" to be more recognized when it comes to physical changes to a living thing(Thank you The Pokemon Company)
I'm not sure I understand this paragraph. Are you talking about simply linearly leveling up in the standard RPG way and becoming stronger as opposed to changeing into something else? (pokemons evolution is pretty linear as well, is it not?)

As of current I have these two ideas actually, but take on the same theme.
The first one, a co-op sort of thing with several creatures which can upgrade themselves throughout the game, basically RPG but taking on a little bit into survival, by that the NPCs are not the only enemy, but also the enviroment. (though some of you might note that I might have taken it from starbound, and I am not going to make excuses, I'll just ignore those comments for an obvious reason) The co-op here is more into puzzles, but have beat'em'ups with a rather advanced combat system.(Combos are op lolz)
sounds like you can draw some inspiration from evolva imo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolva

The second one, less relevant to greenlight, though I wanted to make something under THAT category, however as of current want to make either. Less complicated, and more towards children and tablets, basically make a virtual pet, and yes this is inspired by tamagochis, however more into the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2(I believe also in Sonic Advance?) as in not having one pet but to have several with interractions with one another, while also giving the player a good amount of interaction. If I remember one thing I've spent about almost a year, even more, just because of the Chao Garden in Sonic Adventure, however here is why it won't be related to greenlight: It's problematic to make a tamagochi game on a PC. Generally it's a pick and play, and major flaw with this is the PC is not made for that.(unless somehow you lost internet connection for the weekend and can't play with your guild in WoW) And thing is, I really want there to be a game like this, but for the past few months I've been thinking "maybe I'll make it?" and in the way I think would make it a great virtual pet!
Does it need to be running in real time (even when you're not playing)? If you don't need that you can just up the pace (so the player has something to do and there's no long periods of downtime) when the game is acctually open and running. Kind of give it a themehospital or harvestmoon kind of feel to it.

Here is the question I would like to discuss:
The first idea would definetly be made on the PC and be viewed in Greenlight if I'll manage to make a tech-demo at the very least. The other idea would be made into an Android but will be very different but to me would be interesting and not too complex, as android software development time expectencey is at least 5 months.
My question is: Which game would you be interested in playing? A co-op grow'em'up with a slight touch from terraria's and/or Starbound's world generation or a pet garden in your pocket?
Too little information really. Your explanations are somewhat vague and I can't get a clear grasp of what the end result looks like.
Apart from that camera angle, aesthetics and music is pretty important for me and you are unable to convey that through just text. I'm not sure what aspects you want to take from terraria and starbound but apart from that (im not interested in them at all) the coop game sounds kind of interesting... But there just isn't enough information to tell. The end result can be such a wide range of things.
Taciturn Cactus Feb 17 @ 2:51pm 
Not to nit-pick, but you said that "By ''evolution" I mean "growing" but the general public as of current accepts "evolution" to be more recognized when it comes to physical changes to a living thing(Thank you The Pokemon Company)." Are you saying that the definition of evolution is growing, or are you just using in the context that its being used in the game, because evolution in fact is the physical changes to a living thing over the course of millions of years, though growth can also be one of those physical changes. Though Pokemon is a bit exagerated in the evolution of their characters, that is basically what the basic idea of evolution is.
Sera Feb 17 @ 3:45pm 
Pokemon, Digimon, etc have the best evolution kind of things. If you are looking for something else, don't use the word evolution. lol...
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 17 @ 5:52pm 
Originally posted by Sera:
Pokemon, Digimon, etc have the best evolution kind of things. If you are looking for something else, don't use the word evolution. lol...
What pokemon does is not evolution. it's more akin to a butterfly changeing from larvae to chryssalis to butterfly than actual evolution. Pokemon is a horrible example of evolution.
Sera Feb 17 @ 7:09pm 
Maybe so but it's still that. Not like gaming has many more kind of evolution. Barely anyone know about anything else but Pokemon when it comes to evolution. Evolution game search on google = many pokemon-like games and even a reference to digimon. Everyone knows how pet evolution games work, should it be pokemon, digimon or monster rancher like. My first line was mostly my own preference and opinion anyway and you won't change that.

If you want real evolution, check EVO for snes... Enough said, I guess.

{LB}DarkBabylon Feb 18 @ 7:04am 
Just read 5 of the comments and you guys really gave me some places to look for ideas, which may prove to be very useful. For that, thanks.

Someone mentioned a question about linear upgrades, and no it won't be linear like from a simple jump, suddenly a wing and then gliding without any seperating branches.
What I plan out for a skill tree is to have branches coming out of several categories. Sometimes the branches may lead or interact with a different branch of skills.

Also explaining that first paragraph I made in the thread, I was getting more technical minded for the really technical minded. True if we tlak about Evolution game, the better example would be Spore, which is a horrible game beyond stage 2. Pokemon however demonstrates "growth spurt" and "metamorphosis" which are not evolutions, but rather growth. I am not going to force the player into battles in order to "grow" I wanted to take it a little into how Skyrim's Leveling system works, not by mere EXP, but rather usage and training of certain features in the game, but when say you master up smithing skill, you won't be able to suddenly know how to crit with a dagger when stealthed.
Also certain skills could inhibit certain other skills, so making a suitable character could become a puzzle.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 18 @ 8:10am 
Originally posted by {LB}DarkBabylon:
Also explaining that first paragraph I made in the thread, I was getting more technical minded for the really technical minded.
You weren't being technical as much as you were being vague (and possibly a bit contradictive) :p
{LB}DarkBabylon Feb 18 @ 11:38am 
yeah true, I am a confusing person when it comes to speaking with others I guess...
Also yeah I know I am very vague here, I am kind of trying to be careful not to spill an entire concept, but Iguess it ultimately backfired. :p
Besides again I am saying that these two ideas are literally in their diapers. I have several goals for them but when I look at what planned out, things are still missing to even make a tech demo.
Last edited by {LB}DarkBabylon; Feb 18 @ 11:46am
>mZq< Feb 27 @ 4:25am 
Nice
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 17 @ 11:20am