Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:07am
Question about copyrights?
So I was wondering about the use of copyrighted objects in greenlight. Let's say I make a game with a bunch of copyrighted characters. How would I prove I have the rights to use said characters?
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:08am 
In the credit have the thing saying you could use those characters. I would advise NOT to use premade characters.
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:20am 
That's it? You don't have to show proof first? That sounds very easily exploited.
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:21am 
Originally posted by CUBE Mad Scientist Geoutlit:
That's it? You don't have to show proof first? That sounds very easily exploited.
You do. In the credits at the start saying: "This belongs to *INSERT SOURCE*
If you don't...expect a lawsuit.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:24am 
It's not really up to you to prove that. The way Valve has set this up copyright violations are supposed to be reported by the copyright holder.

Assuring greenlight users that you have permission to use copyrighhted characters in the description (and mentioning who owns the copyrighted material) is probably the best (but still insufficient) way to avoid people screaming about use of copyright material.
People are going to find it unlikely that indie devs have gotten permission to use copyrighted characters so there will allways be people whining is you use such characters.
Greenlight users are very unforgiving about using copyrighterd material. Do not expect to be able to exploit it.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:26am
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:29am 
Ok. Well what if the person says they have the rights to said character, but there is no way they could get the rights to said character like let's just say Goku from DBZ. What then?
Sir Dirge of Cykaland Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:30am 
Don't use him. Simple.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:35am 
Ok. Well what if the person says they have the rights to said character, but there is no way they could get the rights to said character like let's just say Goku from DBZ. What then?
You can post an angry comment expressing your disbelif that he has permission to use the characters and not press the "yes" button. (you could report the project but I'm not sure how much good that would do)

If you want to go a step further you can also contact Shonen jump or Shueisha and inform them about the violation so that they can take action.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:35am
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:45am 
Ok cool, thanks for your help.
Flotilla Feb 11, 2014 @ 1:53am 
IIRC, Valve waives responsibility for copyright violations in third party Steam games as the distribution contract given to devs/publishers holds THEM responsible for any copyright violations in their game, at the expense of Steam delisting and possibly legal action by the copyright claimants.

Beyond that, Valve assumes good faith, which means they don't meticulously comb through any and every game for copyright violations... which is why some games got onto Steam that had blaring copyright violations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxMajqcff10
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:32am 
Ah nice thanks for the info.
LightDarkSoy Feb 12, 2014 @ 3:13am 
It seems the game in question, if I'm thinking correctly, has a very aggressive censoring author who is trying to hide the truth that is this person is, in fact, copyright infringing. He even removed my discussion questioning about the content.
Just because you found popular characters on the internet, it doesn't give you the right to use them. Especially to use them to make money for yourself and not give the original copyright holders a single cent. There has to be legal documents proving that you are allowed to use the characters this way. Like an official email, or a printed document. Not just you saying "this character belongs to this person" without even asking.
Weedn!s Feb 12, 2014 @ 3:23am 
yes right
Nunchucks McFlintlock Feb 13, 2014 @ 12:04pm 
Originally posted by LightDarkSoy:
It seems the game in question, if I'm thinking correctly, has a very aggressive censoring author who is trying to hide the truth that is this person is, in fact, copyright infringing. He even removed my discussion questioning about the content.
Just because you found popular characters on the internet, it doesn't give you the right to use them. Especially to use them to make money for yourself and not give the original copyright holders a single cent. There has to be legal documents proving that you are allowed to use the characters this way. Like an official email, or a printed document. Not just you saying "this character belongs to this person" without even asking.

WINNER!!!
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 11, 2014 @ 12:07am