The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
Pinkie Pie Feb 10 @ 2:20pm
Invisible Helmet. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am trying to make some dark orcish armor. So I extracted the meshes and textures to the normal locations in the data folder. I changed the names. I used gimp make textures darker, I used nifskope to set the textures to the mesh. I opened creation kit copied and duplicated the "Armororcishhelmet" and the OrcishhelmetAA" I set the female and male meches in the AA and set the 'helmetgo" mesh in the "male world model" spot. i preiview and everything looks fine. I open the game and the helmet will either not show up or it will not show up wilst cutting off the top of my hair. So can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? I have been trying to figure this out for days now....
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Pinkie Pie Feb 10 @ 5:37pm 
hmm...i just noticed that every helmet in the game is invisible and cuts of my hair. If I try it out on another character it is only my helmet that doesnt work....
Cyrax 4 Feb 11 @ 1:31am 
As far as I remember, the "go" models are for "ground objects". You might have bound a wrong mesh.
Last edited by Cyrax; Feb 11 @ 1:31am
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 5:51pm 
Nope. the "go" mesh is where its supposed to be. I put it in the same spot as the "go" mesh in the un-edited version of the helmet. And i can see the helmet in my inventory. it is just when I put it on.
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 6:04pm 
the go mesh is just as cyrax said, only pointing to how the objects look on the ground, or in your inventory. the actual helmet.nif (and helmetf.nif if there's a female variant) are what your player wears when it's equipped, and that also needs to be linked to your textures
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 6:21pm 
Yes. I used all three meshes "helmetf", "helmetm" and "helmetgo". I applied the appropriate textures to each mesh. I then placed the "helmetf" and helmetm" in the AA and the Wrold model spot (not sure hwtqa to call it) and neither worked. I looked at an un-touched "ArmorOrcishHelmet" and set mine up exactly the same.
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 6:30pm 
first off, is this purely a texture edit, or do you plan on adding a separate 'dark version' of the helmet in the game different from the vanilla version?

also, have you tested the textures against the base meshes beforehand? one step i took in my mod was placing the new texture in the same folder it was originally to test how it looked in-game before i messed with the meshes
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 6:45pm 
I plan on making a separate helmet. And if by test it you mean veiwing the texture on the object in nifskope? The textures show on the mesh in nifskope. but the male and female meshes dont show up when previewed in CK. but neither does the vanilla.
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 6:51pm 
not in nifskope, i mean making the same folder path as where you got the dds file from BSAopt or whichever you used. here's an example of what i meant with one of my textures
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222423900
i placed the dds files in the same folder path of the armor i retextured, and it showed up in-game how i imagined

if the vanilla meshes aren't showing up, it almost sounds like the nif files got deleted from the game's data files, which sounds impossible, unless they're searching for a dds file that is invisible
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 9:32pm 
Ok. they appeared in my inventory like that with the diferent textures, Just not when equiped. And I fixed all the other helmets by deleting .esp and starting over. its back to only being my helmet.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227139640
This one doesnt have the edited texture but it is still invisible.
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 10:18pm 
So, you got me thinking. And I moved the nif files to a diferent location and it worked. Thanks!
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 10:23pm 
you're welcome :)

and yeah, i figured that if the vanilla meshes were coming up invisible, that probably meant you placed new meshes in the correct spot, linking them to your dds files, and the 'new' meshes were overwriting the ones in the game's data, which caused them to be invisible. next time, rename the meshes do something like 'orcish_helmet_male_dark.nif' before placing it in the folder, so you don't get it overwriting the vanilla helmet
Last edited by zeromaveric; Feb 11 @ 10:26pm
Pinkie Pie Feb 11 @ 11:05pm 
Ok! thanks alot! i never would've figured that out. I got the whole set done now!
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 10 @ 2:20pm