Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
Discover And Share User Maps
Download new user maps and extend you game experience. Create your own maps and share it with friends and community. Click here to learn more about sharing your content.
soopytwist 1 Feb 4 @ 9:29am
[Build] Reaching the memory limits
Once upon a time reaching the memory limits of Build would crash it and if you hadn't saved recently you'd loose hours of work. This does not seem to be the case now though. I've reached and surpased the default limits of Sectors, Walls and Sprites and Build (actually Mapster32) has just doubled the new maximums for me.

Is this actually a problem? If I were to attempt to run this map on a 486 then maybe, but on a modern PC?

I'd like the updating of my maps to work in both Classic and Megaton and have just about finished updating my Funhouse map but now that I've gone past those initial maximums I'm worried something bad is about to happen - so are my worries unfounded?

To put this into context I just went over the default Wall limit of 8192 and this has now jumped to 16384, along with the maximums for Sectors and Sprites. So do I carry on as normal and make this map even more epic? Will it have an effect on Classic mode? And what happens if I go over the new 16384 limit? That is very, very unlikely though.

Some clarification would be helpful.

The only "old" problem that has returned is some kind of bizzare sector corruption. I made a video and I think I posted a thread on here actually.
Last edited by Lunick; Feb 7 @ 9:44pm
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Micky C 3 Feb 4 @ 5:05pm 
The new expanded limits you see are the absolute maximum. Mapster litterally won't allow you to add any more, so don't worry about crashes. Now that the limits have jumped, it's saved in a newer map format that's compatible with Megaton, eduke32, and some of the other minor source ports.

However keep in mind that now the map will NOT work in the original dos executable. Is there even any reason to play it in the dos version? If you want the classic renderer, just use eduke32.
soopytwist 1 Feb 5 @ 9:07am 
Thanks for clearing that up. I can pretty much create two versions now, the one for DOS within the original limits and one more advanced for Megaton and EDuke.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50