The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
enokox Feb 6, 2014 @ 6:08pm
creation kit and recoloring textures
I have problem with something probably very obvious since can't find it in any tutorial
I want to make new clothes recolor ( from existing file just change color) I am very new in modding but have some experiences with photoshop.

So far I managed to find item I want to use in cration kit duplicate the object in object window rename it and save my project as ESP file. but it creates only this file. so I am searching for export textures.

when I search for tutorials they speaks about BSA file which I don't have at this stage. and not sure if I need it for personal use only. ( some tutorials says it's not possible to export textures from creation kit)

so I tried create archive in creation kit. it doesn't make any BSA file ( as for anyone in tutorials)

so I search for tutorial how to create BSA file. but these tutorials requires already having exported possibly needed textures, meshes etc.

I even have program to extract from BSA file.

all tutorials i am finding doesn't seems to include this little bit I need to know. they mostly only changes stats of items and save it as ESP

or they recolor directly textures in skyrim textures BSA file

I will be searching further, but probably it's something obvious for those with english as native language
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
zeromaveric 5 Feb 6, 2014 @ 9:57pm 
the BSA files are in your skyrim/data folder. you'll see a bunch of files labeled Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Interface.bsa, Meshes.bsa, etc. just open up the Textures.bsa file using something like BSAopt[www.nexusmods.com] and search for the .dds file that corresponds to the armor you wish to edit
enokox Feb 7, 2014 @ 2:42am 
so you say I can take texture from skyrim pack ? I don't want replace original texture. so when I put it to mymod.BSA with... archive.exe ( ESP file and texture) how do I need to name that texture ( same asmy mod name ?or is enough to name folder same ?)or what do I need to do, so game will know this texture use mesh of original but replace texture with mine ?
zeromaveric 5 Feb 7, 2014 @ 4:27am 
it's really simple. in your Data folder, simply create a textures directory, working your way down the same path as the texture you're replacing. for example if you're making an ebony weapon texture, you create a 'textures/weapons/ebony/weaponname.dds' for your texture location, and the game will read that texture automatically w/o any replacement or archiving necessary
enokox Feb 7, 2014 @ 11:14am 
sounds simple :3 still couldn't make my new item work but this time seems problems elsewhere. when I place item to skyrim to be bale pick it up in game and want to save it. it won't allowe me to same file and say it's in use even when closed all other aplications. and when I save as new file it won't show in game either.
Cyrax 4 Feb 8, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
Ok, buddy, let's take it slow and 1 thing at a time.
1). Do you want to retexture an existing item (replace the texture) or do you want to make a copy of the item with a new texture? As an example, lets take pink steel armor. Do you want:
1a). All steel armors in the game will be pink
or
1b). There will be just ONE set of pink steel armor in the game and the rest will just stay the same.
enokox Feb 13, 2014 @ 2:04pm 
option 1b) :)
Cyrax 4 Feb 14, 2014 @ 12:54pm 
Alright. The short version:
1. First of all, you need to find the orignial textures in the bsa file and extract them.
2. You will need to create new folder under textures where you will place your changed textures.
3. -(edit the textures the way you want them to be)-
4. In CK, you will need to create copies of the armor you want to edit. This goes for both Armor cathegory and ArmorAddon as well. Also, bind the new ArmorAddons to the new Armor entries.
5. You will need to create new TextureSets for your new armors. For normal map, just use the path for the regular normal map location. Even if you do not have it extracted, the CK will be able to spot it inside the bsa archive.
6. Now, go to the mesh view for your ArmorAddons and Armors and simply bind your new texture sets to the meshes.
7. Create a recipe for your new armors so you can craft them in-game or place them somewhere in the world!

I understand that this may seem complicated (especially step 5 and 6), but I hope you will manage to figure it out.
If not... If you fail.. but have tried countless times over and over again to no avail... I might think about making a picture tutorial. (Or even video, if I find good screencap software).

Best of luck!
Brandybuck 18 Feb 14, 2014 @ 2:18pm 
enokox Feb 15, 2014 @ 4:36am 
thank you both :) I managed to change texture before so now need to figure out that binding option.
Armor Addons? I found some article about that one. if I understnad it right "Addons" means something new added whihc is not replacing existing item ?

by set of textures you mean .. texture for body model and texture for world model ? or is there another one as well ? Are both needed or when I don't create on it will use original texture ?
that option 5 really seems confusing for me.

by bind mesh you mean to pick model from list? or I will need to extract mesh from skyrim bsa file and place it in data/ meshes file and then set path to model ?

got bit busy with work now but after that I definitely will try :D
Cyrax 4 Feb 15, 2014 @ 6:33am 
ArmorAddon is the category in CK. Those are basically meshes that will be equipped on the character. They are referenced to from the Armor entry. (In the CK, if you have, let's say... iron helmet, the armor entry will be called something like ArmorIronHelmet and the ArmorAddon will be called IronHelmetAA). The armor entry contains properties like armor values, price, enchantment, armor type, which slots the armor take, how to looks like on the ground, etc. The ArmorAddon contains the meshes of how the armor looks like when it is worn as well as which slots it is worn on.

TextureSets is another category in CK. A wonderful thing that allows you to change the texture on a model without editing the NIF model itself or even extracting it.

Let me try and visualize the different connections for you.

http://i.imgur.com/Rc3Z2k8.jpg

Is this any help?
enokox Feb 17, 2014 @ 5:02pm 
I finaly got tiem to try it. didn't manage texture work but keep trying...but there is another problem. when I test it in game seems I am unable to revrite ESP file and unable to save it. evne uncheck in launcher/data but still.
Last edited by enokox; Feb 17, 2014 @ 5:18pm
Cyrax 4 Feb 17, 2014 @ 11:08pm 
Glad to know it worked out for you!
enokox Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:00am 
:) tho I didn't find how to change also pants color. maybe I wasn't looking long enough :D I found pants texture but now need to find where to bind it :)
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 6, 2014 @ 6:08pm