The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
vaughn_aubrey Feb 6 @ 11:21am
Noob in need of help
trying to get the textures i unpacked from skyrim data into the ck texture sets. i have tried following the tutorials but still end up with invalid directory errors and such. this program is making me feel really stupid. ive never had problems like this with blender. any help would be greatly appreciated
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
zeromaveric 5 Feb 6 @ 12:46pm 
if you're using blender, it sounds like you're after meshes (3d models) rather than textures (2d images). either way, if you're after either one of those, you're better off using BSAopt and extracting the meshes/textures.bsa from your data directory

Edit: though after re-reading your post, it sounds like you're forgetting to use nifskope. you need to use that to open up your .nif files you extracted from the .bsa and look for the NiTriShape>BSLightingShaderProperty>BSShaderTextureSet value, and edit the dds files to your textures

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ewicf7.png
Last edited by zeromaveric; Feb 6 @ 12:56pm
vaughn_aubrey Feb 11 @ 8:28am 
thanks for the advice... and unless im jus completely misinterpreted the program right now im jus trying to retexture the meshes to look like its made with a different material (i was trying to make daedric armor textured like clear glass, dragon bone, etc.. jus to get a feel for moving textures around) i can retexture the stuff using the currently available texture sets in ck but thats a very limited list. i ve gotten as far as changing the BSShaderTextureSet value, but how do i get the ck to load the edited files? it always says "invalid directory" where am i supposed to put the files? every tutorial ive read says it cant be loaded from the my computer/c/program files (x86)......skyrim/data/.... so i hav the files in a folder on my desktop... ive tried placing a texture folder in the skyrim/data area to. but no luck.. and yes i eventually want to use blender to change meshes but right now im jus trying to figure out how to use available textures on available meshes to get an idea of what im doing before i start trying to edit or add meshes (im ill that i cant figure out how to access the stuff already available to the game my computer wld prolly be smashed if i took the time to make sumthing from scratch and cldnt get it in the program). and can i ask y bethesda made this so difficult.. if ur gonna open a creation program why should more programs need to b installed jus to be able to access the materials the ck should already have available for use...
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 12:48pm 
you have to start by creating the texture directories under data. the locations in nifskope will always read 'textures/(weapons or armor)/material used/weapontype.dds' for example, if i wanted to retexture steel armor, i'd have to make the directory 'textures/armor/steel' and place my armor files there
vaughn_aubrey Feb 11 @ 3:29pm 
i dont understand... this is making me feel so stupid. where do i put the new texture directory? under c/program files (86)....skyrim/data?? i have a daedric ivory armor saved in nifskope the textures are all changed to c:\users\home\desktop\skyrim textures etc\textures\dlc01\armor\ivoryarmor\cuirassivory.dds, \ivoryarmor\cuirassivory_n.dds, \ivoryarmor\cuirassivory_m.dds... is that wrong?? and if not now what?? sorry dude i'm just confused didnt expect it to be so difficult to just retexture an armor..
zeromaveric 5 Feb 11 @ 5:41pm 
yeah, that's not gonna work at all. when the models are loaded in-game, they have to search for a directory every computer would read. since the game reads the skyrim data directory by default, it's just a matter of pointing it to the exact path within data your files are supposed to be stored. as an example, here's an image of my data/textures directory, as well as the /armor, and you can get an idea of how it should be comprised

http://i61.tinypic.com/28l6qvt.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u70hab.png

so basically, you want your texture to be in Skyrim/Data/textures/dlc01/armor/ivoryarmor folder, as the original is. there's no need to mess with any nifs to point to it, since they know where to look by default, and if they detect a folder, it will override the contents of the bsa/bsp so long as they're there

Edit: though if you're doing the same thing i did and retexture base armor, but making a new set from the vanilla batch, then you would have to edit the nifs and drop them into the meshes folder, as i have
Last edited by zeromaveric; Feb 11 @ 5:54pm
vaughn_aubrey Feb 13 @ 5:22pm 
ok... so thanks to u i finally have the textures...lol.. but.... they arent lining up right. (like they are sideways on the mesh)?? any tips??
zeromaveric 5 Feb 13 @ 8:06pm 
i wouldn't know. i've never run into that issue before, and got no clue how that's possible
vaughn_aubrey Feb 13 @ 8:11pm 
crap..lol thanks for helpin. yea when i rotate the texture files they become incompatible.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 6 @ 11:21am