Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 6 @ 10:37am
【Help】How to use hammer to add a finishing touch to the map created?
Well I got a problem.I made a map by the ingame tool,and then I tried to edit it in the hammer.First I can't find it's vmf.I published the map then (only visible to me) and find its vmf in portal 2/sdk_content/maps.I opened the vmf in hammer and edit it,you know changing some of the texture,moving things more accurately,creating small solids,doing things that the ingame editor can't do.After that I click "run map" in hammer and all the things just go right except the elevators are in the wrong place and the machines (buttons,laser,tractor beam,gels) doesn't work.Finally I find the bsp file and paste it in portal 2/portal 2/maps/puzzlemakers/(a bunch of numbers).I opened the ingame editor and find that everything hadn't changed.The map is just as sams as what it was before I used hammer.I also canceled the publish and the order but the map is just the same.Did I put the files in wrong places or..?Anyone tell me what to do?I'm so close now..
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
TeamSpen210 12 Feb 6 @ 12:57pm 
The best way to do this is to open the map in the puzzlemaker, then type "puzzlemaker_export name" which will save the puzzle as name.vmf in sdk_content/maps/. Once you've done editing and compiled it, run the program "p2_map_publish.exe" in portal 2/bin/. This lets you select a .bsp to upload with description, a screenshot etc.
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 6 @ 1:02pm 
oh wow thank you~!
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 6 @ 11:39pm 
Now I'm editing it in hammer again and I find that the elevators are in the wrong places.Must I put them in the right places and make all the things work,all just open the p2map_publish.exe and publish it?
Gemarakup 18 Feb 7 @ 12:00am 
No, because they use world portals. You should go to the start lift instance and set the no_player_start value to 0 I think. Otherwise, the player will start at the door. I'd also recommend a full compile to make it look good. Otherwise, the lighting will be quite poor.
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 12:05am 
Sorry but I got a new problem.Yes I directly publish it and everything goes well.But now when I compile the map,there appears a lot of errors.Some kind of gpu_level...couldn't load prt...How to deal with this?
sedo sends strong signals Feb 7 @ 4:23am 
Copy your entire compile log. Make sure it's a full compile.
Upload it to pastebin.com, puu.sh, etc.
Giving vague (though I think I know what it is) hints to what the error said as opposed to just copy/pasting is silly and will get you no help :^)
Gemarakup 18 Feb 7 @ 6:15am 
Originally posted by Freeman|TR:
Sorry but I got a new problem.Yes I directly publish it and everything goes well.But now when I compile the map,there appears a lot of errors.Some kind of gpu_level...couldn't load prt...How to deal with this?
It means you have a leak. The gpu_level is nothing to worry about though, but the prt file is.
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:17am 
Much thanks to you!In fact now I'm at the final step!
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:18am 
Yes there is a leak indeed.I fix it.And I publish the map privately.But I have some problems downloading it...The speed is only 1kb/s...I still need to check if there's anything wrong.
Gemarakup 18 Feb 7 @ 6:21am 
Yes there is a leak indeed.I fix it.And I publish the map privately.But I have some problems downloading it...The speed is only 1kb/s...I still need to check if there's anything wrong.
No, that should be because of your speed. Steam is probably having temporary problems.
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:29am 
NoNo it's all OK to download other maps..
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:29am 
Would you please do me a favor..?Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225324319
I'm even having FPS problems now...
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:41am 
OK,well..Finally I'm able to download my own map(rediculous).I run through the map and find no bug at all...And the hammer stuff works too...The only problem is that some texture seems rather weird.It's kind of ..brighter,with weird reflection...I remembered to turn the HDR on when I compile the map with hammer in RAD.Do you know what cause this?(You may try my map)
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:42am 
Originally posted by Gemarakup:
No, that should be because of your speed. Steam is probably having temporary problems.
Freeman|TR 17 Feb 7 @ 6:53am 
Thank you for your help and here's the link of the map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225324319&searchtext=
Originally posted by TeamSpen210:
The best way to do this is to open the map in the puzzlemaker, then type "puzzlemaker_export name" which will save the puzzle as name.vmf in sdk_content/maps/. Once you've done editing and compiled it, run the program "p2_map_publish.exe" in portal 2/bin/. This lets you select a .bsp to upload with description, a screenshot etc.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 6 @ 10:37am