The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
ArcticTrance Feb 4 @ 6:32pm
Anyone else not use followers or horses?
I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that never use followers or horses?

The reason I ask is because I see tons of mods for followers and horses, yet when I play with a follower they tend to jump in front of me while I perform a spell or shoot an arrow. The followers also tend to do more dmg in the begining, and take the kills.. making skilling up harder. Granted they are a nice starting pets to assist you.. but later they always seem like the third wheel that hinders you.

Now when it comes to horses, I tend to have to go 5 feet and get off for herbs.. I installed the whistle mod and speed to horse mod; which still makes them feel a bit useless. Well, unless you want to blitz to a mission area.

Am I the only one in this boat? or is there others that don't really like the Followers or Horses?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Bhaene Sidhe Feb 4 @ 6:41pm 
I do not use followers or horses either, followers just get themselves killed. I played around a little bit with horses but meh, I can do without them. I would rather hire followers to guard my houses, not go on adventures with me.
ArcticTrance Feb 4 @ 6:43pm 
Glad I am not the only one in this boat. I keep watching vids of players using followers that seem to really do all the work for them; leaving them there to shoot an arrow or throw an iceball at them.. zzzzZzzz :)
PotatoMan Feb 4 @ 7:25pm 
As much as I want to respect the idea of followers, I don't consider Skyrim's AI to be good enough for followers to be justified.

Also, I've noticed that I run faster than all NPCs. So when leading a follower around the pattern is (1) move forward a bit, (2) wait several seconds for follower to catch up, (3) repeat. And that's when the follower bothers to move forward at all; I've seen followers pause for no visible reason more times than I want to remember.
jjb-54 1 Feb 4 @ 8:30pm 
There is one (1) companion that I recommend - Inigo - Check him out on Nexus.

I found Followers - Dogs - Horses to be a serious bother. I HATE THE DOGS of Skyrim! They Bark and Bark and Bark, more than real dogs do. When you are on/in Stealth Mod - there is nothing that breaks the "spirit" of the moment - then when Gruphy - Fido - Mut decides it's time to BARK!!

Horses - except for 1 - Shadowmere, I just love that horse - is the only one that I actually keep and use more than not!

I usually send NPC (Humanoids) home packing very quickly - for 1 their limited repeat - over and over dialog ... ( INIGO does NOT do this! In fact when you are in crouch / stealth mode - he actually whispers and even suggests you SHUT UP! ;) I have now had him full time and have yet to send him packing ... his dialog is great! There are certain dialogs that are event specific - Like at the Bards College he sings - and NO not those dry repeats of Skyrim songs ... he has his own songs!!
Sweet Jesus Tender Bunz 22 Feb 4 @ 9:21pm 
1. Followers dont know what "Let me do the 1st move" Is
2. They end up attacking me after I accidently hit them once
3. They always sound like they hate you
4. Horses are lame
5. Horses would be good if the riding system was like mount and blade
ArcticTrance Feb 5 @ 6:02am 
Hah! Very happy to see I am not the only one that hates followers & horses. Also, I have to agree that the dogs barking is very annoying.. If the follower wasn't an attacker and just sat back and supported with buffs + heals, I could definitely enjoy them more; hell, even the arrow shooting ones can be annoying that they kill something before you get to it.

As far as Inigo. I did watch a youtube vid on that guy. Although more dialog and smarter comments when attacking something, it still has the issue of running ahead and killing things first. :\

So far I definitely agree with all the comments. Just cant understand why every vid i see of Lets Plays have to have the follower come along to do the work.. XD
Taleonas Feb 5 @ 11:19am 
Ugg... followers. They just reveal you when your in stealth and get left behind. Seriously, once I was near some slopes by a river and my follower just wandered off. I just thought that when I get to a town I'll fast travel to that town and my follower will teleport to me. But just before the town, I saw a body by the river. It was my follower, who had managed to get killed somehow and got washed downstream by the river.

But I do love Inigo. I mostly just have him for when I'm resting in an inn. I just so good to have someone to talk to.
Last edited by Taleonas; Feb 5 @ 11:36am
pug3190 Feb 5 @ 7:38pm 
I too do not like followers or horses. The dogs are annoying also. I never get kids either, or get married.
mpd1958 Feb 6 @ 12:41am 
"Yeah, thoe I walk through the valleys of Skyrim, I fear NO evil, fore I am Dragonborn and I am the meanest SOB in this valley."

Followers only if the quest forces them on me, and horses never after the first time.
ArcticTrance Feb 6 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by pug3190:
I too do not like followers or horses. The dogs are annoying also. I never get kids either, or get married.

I definitely agree with the kids thing! Hearthfire, for me at least, has been a waste of cash; even though I got it on a Steam sale. The adoption thing was not as cool as I was lead to believe and the houses are so far from civilization that I just have zero interest in them.

I usually end up finding a good mod house, or taking a good one and changing the door location. I just need to be near a city to trade with, and when I collect goods to sell, I usually exceed the weight limit.. so its slow truckin to get close to merchants. :|
enokox Feb 6 @ 6:43pm 
M'aiq the Liar is right when he says: Some like taking friends on adventures. M'aiq thinks being alone is better. Less arguing about splitting treasure.

yeah followers can be really pain in ♥♥♥.(dogs mostly as they always got in the way)
they are overpowered or too weak. for beginner woudl be best some real tank - almost no damage but high defence so they last long before you train some killing skills on enemies.

At beginning I did well with sneaking and archery so didn't need tank. and now when I want learn other skills I need some bait for enemies in bigger and more difficult dungeons.

I used horse once I got shadowmere- only horse that can make powerful tank for dragon.
Horses are useles for mages since they can't perform any attack. and obviously for alchemists.

I got mode for shadowmere to be bit faster so I had fun to go hunting mammoths and giants ....... naked and with lames bow and arrows but ridding this shadowmere :D ... well i needed some archer skills tho, like slow down time.

but now when I play character to focus on alchemy horse I don't really use horse...

Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 4 @ 6:32pm