The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
ArcticTrance Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:32pm
Anyone else not use followers or horses?
I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there that never use followers or horses?

The reason I ask is because I see tons of mods for followers and horses, yet when I play with a follower they tend to jump in front of me while I perform a spell or shoot an arrow. The followers also tend to do more dmg in the begining, and take the kills.. making skilling up harder. Granted they are a nice starting pets to assist you.. but later they always seem like the third wheel that hinders you.

Now when it comes to horses, I tend to have to go 5 feet and get off for herbs.. I installed the whistle mod and speed to horse mod; which still makes them feel a bit useless. Well, unless you want to blitz to a mission area.

Am I the only one in this boat? or is there others that don't really like the Followers or Horses?
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Bhaene Sidhe Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:41pm 
I do not use followers or horses either, followers just get themselves killed. I played around a little bit with horses but meh, I can do without them. I would rather hire followers to guard my houses, not go on adventures with me.
ArcticTrance Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:43pm 
Glad I am not the only one in this boat. I keep watching vids of players using followers that seem to really do all the work for them; leaving them there to shoot an arrow or throw an iceball at them.. zzzzZzzz :)
PotatoMan Feb 4, 2014 @ 7:25pm 
As much as I want to respect the idea of followers, I don't consider Skyrim's AI to be good enough for followers to be justified.

Also, I've noticed that I run faster than all NPCs. So when leading a follower around the pattern is (1) move forward a bit, (2) wait several seconds for follower to catch up, (3) repeat. And that's when the follower bothers to move forward at all; I've seen followers pause for no visible reason more times than I want to remember.
jjb-54 1 Feb 4, 2014 @ 8:30pm 
There is one (1) companion that I recommend - Inigo - Check him out on Nexus.

I found Followers - Dogs - Horses to be a serious bother. I HATE THE DOGS of Skyrim! They Bark and Bark and Bark, more than real dogs do. When you are on/in Stealth Mod - there is nothing that breaks the "spirit" of the moment - then when Gruphy - Fido - Mut decides it's time to BARK!!

Horses - except for 1 - Shadowmere, I just love that horse - is the only one that I actually keep and use more than not!

I usually send NPC (Humanoids) home packing very quickly - for 1 their limited repeat - over and over dialog ... ( INIGO does NOT do this! In fact when you are in crouch / stealth mode - he actually whispers and even suggests you SHUT UP! ;) I have now had him full time and have yet to send him packing ... his dialog is great! There are certain dialogs that are event specific - Like at the Bards College he sings - and NO not those dry repeats of Skyrim songs ... he has his own songs!!
ArcticTrance Feb 5, 2014 @ 6:02am 
Hah! Very happy to see I am not the only one that hates followers & horses. Also, I have to agree that the dogs barking is very annoying.. If the follower wasn't an attacker and just sat back and supported with buffs + heals, I could definitely enjoy them more; hell, even the arrow shooting ones can be annoying that they kill something before you get to it.

As far as Inigo. I did watch a youtube vid on that guy. Although more dialog and smarter comments when attacking something, it still has the issue of running ahead and killing things first. :\

So far I definitely agree with all the comments. Just cant understand why every vid i see of Lets Plays have to have the follower come along to do the work.. XD
Taleonas Feb 5, 2014 @ 11:19am 
Ugg... followers. They just reveal you when your in stealth and get left behind. Seriously, once I was near some slopes by a river and my follower just wandered off. I just thought that when I get to a town I'll fast travel to that town and my follower will teleport to me. But just before the town, I saw a body by the river. It was my follower, who had managed to get killed somehow and got washed downstream by the river.

But I do love Inigo. I mostly just have him for when I'm resting in an inn. I just so good to have someone to talk to.
Last edited by Taleonas; Feb 5, 2014 @ 11:36am
pug3190 Feb 5, 2014 @ 7:38pm 
I too do not like followers or horses. The dogs are annoying also. I never get kids either, or get married.
mpd1958 Feb 6, 2014 @ 12:41am 
"Yeah, thoe I walk through the valleys of Skyrim, I fear NO evil, fore I am Dragonborn and I am the meanest SOB in this valley."

Followers only if the quest forces them on me, and horses never after the first time.
ArcticTrance Feb 6, 2014 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by pug3190:
I too do not like followers or horses. The dogs are annoying also. I never get kids either, or get married.

I definitely agree with the kids thing! Hearthfire, for me at least, has been a waste of cash; even though I got it on a Steam sale. The adoption thing was not as cool as I was lead to believe and the houses are so far from civilization that I just have zero interest in them.

I usually end up finding a good mod house, or taking a good one and changing the door location. I just need to be near a city to trade with, and when I collect goods to sell, I usually exceed the weight limit.. so its slow truckin to get close to merchants. :|
enokox Feb 6, 2014 @ 6:43pm 
M'aiq the Liar is right when he says: Some like taking friends on adventures. M'aiq thinks being alone is better. Less arguing about splitting treasure.

yeah followers can be really pain in ♥♥♥.(dogs mostly as they always got in the way)
they are overpowered or too weak. for beginner woudl be best some real tank - almost no damage but high defence so they last long before you train some killing skills on enemies.

At beginning I did well with sneaking and archery so didn't need tank. and now when I want learn other skills I need some bait for enemies in bigger and more difficult dungeons.

I used horse once I got shadowmere- only horse that can make powerful tank for dragon.
Horses are useles for mages since they can't perform any attack. and obviously for alchemists.

I got mode for shadowmere to be bit faster so I had fun to go hunting mammoths and giants ....... naked and with lames bow and arrows but ridding this shadowmere :D ... well i needed some archer skills tho, like slow down time.

but now when I play character to focus on alchemy horse I don't really use horse...

Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:32pm