Portal 2
Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Konke 2 Feb 3, 2014 @ 12:00pm
[Hammer] Using instances, like cube droppers
Hey! So, I'm making progress with my map in Hammer. However I wonder about cube droppers. Is there a good or bad way to implement them in your map? The only option I know how to use at the moment is to use a func_instance for a cube dropper. But are func_instances good even if you haven't made them? Like in cheap, expensive, compability?

The other problem I got to is that I see you have to choose a "xxx_multiple" instance to have several cube droppers in my map. I want a spehere dropper and a reflective cube dropper in my map. The problem is that I don't find a reflective cube dropper multiple. How should I think about this? Thanks in advance!
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
SuperFluffyShmoopy 100 Feb 3, 2014 @ 1:00pm 
Originally posted by Konke:
The other problem I got to is that I see you have to choose a "xxx_multiple" instance to have several cube droppers in my map
Whats really funny is that you can have one dropper drop multiple cubes :D
Gemarakup 19 Feb 3, 2014 @ 8:42pm 
Use the PTI instance. It's multiple. The benefit you get from instances is that you don't need to create the entire thing. Some of them like the PTI ones are expensive because of the logic made to work with flexibility in PTI, but that shouldn't matter.
Last edited by Gemarakup; Feb 3, 2014 @ 8:43pm
Konke 2 Feb 4, 2014 @ 4:43am 
What's PTI? Where do I find these instances? So far I have tried the instances found in the "gameplay folder".
Gemarakup 19 Feb 4, 2014 @ 5:35am 
PTI, the puzzle editor? Stands for Perpetual Testing Initiative. The instances used by the puzzle editor are in the p2editor folder. They use the counting method. The cube droppers are multiple, and they fit in a 128 square.
Last edited by Gemarakup; Feb 4, 2014 @ 5:35am
Konke 2 Feb 4, 2014 @ 6:52am 
But I think that I heard it's not recommended to use PeTI instances. Perhaps I was incorrenctly informed. Is is the best method of getting one reflective cube and one sphere in my map?
Gemarakup 19 Feb 4, 2014 @ 9:24am 
Originally posted by Konke:
But I think that I heard it's not recommended to use PeTI instances. Perhaps I was incorrenctly informed. Is is the best method of getting one reflective cube and one sphere in my map?
That's true, but we're out of options here. So you should use the PTI dropper.

Edit: I guess I missread your first post.
If it's one reflective cube and sphere, you don't need a multiple instance and you can use a normal. You only need a multiple instance for 2 of the same kind of cubes.
Last edited by Gemarakup; Feb 4, 2014 @ 9:26am
Konke 2 Feb 5, 2014 @ 12:14pm 
Ah! That good to know. I will try it! Thanks!
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 3, 2014 @ 12:00pm