Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:20am
Does Greenlight replaces the traditional submition process?
The FAQ says it does, but does that means if i have a new company and a new game that i wish to sell on steam i HAVE to go trhough greenlight? Don't i have the choice to go through the traditional avaliation process from steam? (even if it means rejection)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
C0untzer0 Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:21am 
NO, you're special. There's another way to get on just for you. They kept on the extra staff just in case yo'd come by.
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:58am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
NO, you're special. There's another way to get on just for you. They kept on the extra staff just in case yo'd come by.
common dude, you don't even know me, did you forget how steam worked before greenlight or something? i'm making a legit question, i just found it weird that any new company had to use greenlight

titanfall is supposed to come out on pc, they are a new company, are they doing greenlight? i don't think so...
wilco64256 Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:07am 
Is Titanfall coming from a brand new company? Think about it. You're a brand new totally unknown company, with a brand new unknown game. Of course you'll have to go through Greenlight.
imaekgames Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:10am 
If you have to ask this question, then you probably have to go the Greenlight route. Do you have a publisher?
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:14am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
Is Titanfall coming from a brand new company? Think about it. You're a brand new totally unknown company, with a brand new unknown game. Of course you'll have to go through Greenlight.
Does it matters where their devs came from? so if a new company shows up and half of their devs come from different known companies they don't have to go through greenlight? and if they really don't, then how do they submit their games? it's not like they have an account for their company ready to submit games, i'm guessing they contact steam in some sort of way, but steam itselfs doesn't say how is that even possible so i'm assuming they know someone from the inside, which to be fair, is indeed understandable but i highly doubt that every single new company creating triple A titles just happen to know someone from valve
wilco64256 Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:15am 
Titanfall is being published by EA.
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by imaek:
If you have to ask this question, then you probably have to go the Greenlight route. Do you have a publisher?
It's hard to say because i do work for someone whos techically my publisher, but we are a new company with an indie sized team. And to be perfectly honest we don't have any problem with greenlight, it's just that for some larger titles from new companies makes little sense to go through greenlight when it could through directly to steam. But you are right, if i'm asking, it's probably because i need to go through greenlight
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:19am 
i guess i gave a bad example then, the rest still stands
Last edited by kebrus; Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:19am
wilco64256 Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:22am 
Originally posted by Taro:
i guess i gave a bad example then, the rest still stands

Not really. If you were capable of skipping Greenlight this thread wouldn't even exist. You'd have the right business connections and clout to make it happen without even needing to wonder.
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:27am 
like i said to imaek, i'm not exactly talking about myself, i'm pretty sure i have to go through greenlight regardless of what steam offers, lets say warhorse studios which only started their kickstarter a few days ago, that is triple A quality... do you think they already have that kind of connections?
wilco64256 Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:38am 
Why do you care if other people have to go through Greenlight? Maybe they have the right connections, maybe they don't. All that matters is whether you do. And it's not something where you can just find a way to be put in touch with "that person" who will let you skip Greenlight. It's about having an established and very profitable relationship with them.
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:54am 
The FAQ says it does, but does that means if i have a new company and a new game that i wish to sell on steam i HAVE to go trhough greenlight? Don't i have the choice to go through the traditional avaliation process from steam? (even if it means rejection)
There are 2 exceptions: win an indie award, or have a (big enough) publisher that pushes your title through to the store without going through Greenlight.
Otherwise you're stuck with Greenlight.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:57am
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:55am 
Since I'm only now starting to work for the PC i want to understand how everything works and why, i found it weird where greenlight sits in the middle of the process and i think now i understand why valve wants to change it
kebrus Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:58am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
There are 2 exceptions: win an indie award, or have a publisher that pushes your title through to the store bypassing greenlight.
Otherwise you're stuck with Greenlight.
Thanks, that actually helps, because it means the way you bypass it is to previously prove your worth, either that, or you prove it on greenlight and this way of thinking is actually a better way of how to keep greenlight in mind
Last edited by kebrus; Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:59am
Gorlom[Swe] Feb 3, 2014 @ 11:59am 
Since I'm only now starting to work for the PC i want to understand how everything works and why, i found it weird where greenlight sits in the middle of the process and i think now i understand why valve wants to change it
Would you mind elaborating on your assummptions regarding why they want to change it? :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 3, 2014 @ 10:20am