Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
evolution.400 Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:03am
Final Thoughts on Indies/Greenlight
My final thoughts on this is that, there wasn't a huge support base for Indie games on Steam until just the past few years. Greenlight soon followed, and although it seemed like a great idea, it may have turned into a popularity contest. Even with a new system in place, in the future with a mini store, indie games will seemingly (With a front page on the store instead of on the front page of Steam) still take a back seat on Steam. My point is, maybe, just maybe, Steam isn't the perfect place for indies. There are other places that have more support for such titles.

Desura, or Good old Games (Gog.com) have a large support base for indies. Desura, is actually a dedicated site for indie games alone, and has the largest selection of Indies, even more so than Steam. I mention both because people seem to think that Steam is the best place to sell their title. However, Steam typicaly sells more AAA titles, and I honestly think that indies have a harder time trying to compete with full grown studios/developers. My point is, it may be great to have your game right up there next to Civilazation, or Bioshock, but that may not be the best place for it. With Greenlight failing to meet expectations, who knows whats to come next, and whos to say thats the best thing for indies on Steam?

Again, I don't like to say it, as I'm a huge supporter of these smaller titles, but maybe the best place for these games, may not be Steam. Thoughts, comments appreciated.
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:04am
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
wilco64256 Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:13am 
They might "fit in" better in other places, but Steam is still the best place to be in terms of making money.
Skoardy Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:19am 
Was it supposed to be 'the perfect place for indies'?
evolution.400 Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:43am 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
They might "fit in" better in other places, but Steam is still the best place to be in terms of making money.

For AAA, yes it is, but is it so for Indies on Steam?

Originally posted by Skoardy:

Which is the point I'm making, support for Indies on Steam was just around for the past few years. Yet, Valve is trying it's best to make a home for Indies on Steam. Taking off Greenlight and replacing it with mini stores, that will keep indies off the front page. You'll still see the stores and are welcome to browse. However, is that worth it when you can go to Desura or gog and you get your game you built up front on page one when it's new? Does it seem like Indies are thriving here right now? I just can't say, and I'd like an opinion on it.
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:44am
wilco64256 Jan 30, 2014 @ 10:54am 
Originally posted by evolution.400:
For AAA, yes it is, but is it so for Indies on Steam?

Yes. Most definitely.

Originally posted by Skoardy:

Which is the point I'm making, support for Indies on Steam was just around for the past few years. Yet, Valve is trying it's best to make a home for Indies on Steam. Taking off Greenlight and replacing it with mini stores, that will keep indies off the front page. You'll still see the stores and are welcome to browse. However, is that worth it when you can go to Desura or gog and you get your game you built up front on page one when it's new? Does it seem like Indies are thriving here right now? I just can't say, and I'd like an opinion on it.

I can say that we're very happy with being on Steam, and I know plenty of other Indies who have gotten onto Steam who are equally happy. I'm not actually aware of any developer who has released a game on Steam and been unhappy about it. The support staff from Valve's side has been extremely helpful, very quick to reply to questions, very friendly.
Skoardy Jan 30, 2014 @ 11:06am 
Taking off Greenlight and replacing it with mini stores, that will keep indies off the front page. You'll still see the stores and are welcome to browse. However, is that worth it when you can go to Desura or gog and you get your game you built up front on page one when it's new? Does it seem like Indies are thriving here right now? I just can't say, and I'd like an opinion on it.
Have I missed another set of announcements from Valve? I didn't think they'd detailed exactly what their new direction was or how it'd work? Seems a little early for people to relocating their "It's a failure!" banner from Greenlight to whatever comes next.
C0untzer0 Jan 31, 2014 @ 3:34am 
people seem to think that Steam is the best place to sell their title.
In many cases, not "best" but "only".
Sadly those sites just aren't as well known as they should be despite GOG's being an amazing notalgia trip for anybody with a history in gaming.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:03am