Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Frizoggy Jan 29 @ 7:07pm
Steam Greenlight is too exploitable
A new game has recently been released that was a part of the Steam Greenlight program. The game I speak of is Hero Siege.

Now, I'll admit the $9.99 price tag isn't a big deal, but the fact that the developer of this game posted that the game's price tag would be $5 upon release prior to it being Greenlit is a big deal.

They blatantly misinformed the Steam Community to get Greenlight votes for the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/182280302/1380484850

None of the update posts after this post was made mentioned there would be a price increase and the price increase was only revealed once the game was put on sale.

I don't know if this is common practice for Steam Greenlight games, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was or now will be.

Valve really needs to look into this matter. I thought Steam Greenlight was put in place to help indie developers get their games to market, but if the developers are only looking to screw over the Steam Community then it gives both Valve and indie developers a bad name.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 29 @ 7:08pm 
People are gullible and others lie.
Welcome to the real world.
-Z- Jan 29 @ 7:34pm 
Buy it on Desura?

Or, y'know, if it bothers you that much, don't buy it.
Last edited by -Z-; Jan 29 @ 8:10pm
AusSkiller Jan 29 @ 8:31pm 
Many indies do not have much knowledge of how pricing affects the sales of games, once they are greenlit Valve give them some sales data and advice on pricing, so they have probably just acted on that data and advice which I assume showed it was not in their best interest to release at the $5 price point. This is why greenlight does not require pricing information to be published, it is very likely to be altered when it is actually released. Besides, what is asked on greenlight is if you would buy the game, not if would you buy the game at a certain price, and because everyone has stated that they would buy the game at $5 it doesn't change the outcome much, it just means that a lot of people may wait until it is discounted to $5 or less before they actually do buy it.
evolution.400 Jan 30 @ 8:50am 
Am I the only one not figuring this out? It's going to still be $5 on Steam dude. Retail copy's will be more... but what retailer would sell an indie? Someone help me out here, I confuse?..?..? Where does it say it's going to be $9.99?
Last edited by evolution.400; Jan 30 @ 8:52am
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 30 @ 8:59am 
Originally posted by evolution.400:
Am I the only one not figuring this out? It's going to still be $5 on Steam dude. Retail copy's will be more... but what retailer would sell an indie? Someone help me out here, I confuse?..?..? Where does it say it's going to be $9.99?
It's not going to be, it IS. The game is already being sold on Steam.
Check the Steam store mate: http://store.steampowered.com/app/269210/

It appears to be 9.99€ for me. which I assume means $9.99 for Americans.
evolution.400 Jan 30 @ 9:14am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Originally posted by evolution.400:
It's not going to be, it IS. The game is already being sold on Steam.
Check the Steam store mate: http://store.steampowered.com/app/269210/

It appears to be 9.99€ for me. which I assume means $9.99 for Americans.

Ahhh... that clears things up a bit. Your right, it's $9.99 for me. (added to my wishlist too, looks nice. I'll buy it when I get paid next week.)

Hookay, now that I'm unconfuzzeled. To the OP, I guess your just going to have to grin and bare it. It's not just small indie developers that make mistakes when they price a game, sometimes larger studios do it too. (EA more so, but don't get me started) The thing to note is, that it may not be intentional, and not to take it too personal. If you still think this is a game for you, then go ahead and pay for it, or wait till it goes on sale, which happens often on Steam.
wilco64256 Jan 31 @ 7:51am 
This is actually the exact reason why developers shouldn't post a price on their project's page.
NAUR Jan 31 @ 9:29am 
need we say more+++++
Skoardy Jan 31 @ 9:42am 
Originally posted by sir1us:
need we say more+++++
Well, you got your spam-a-forum badge so from you... hopefully not.
NAUR Jan 31 @ 9:43am 
sorry
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 29 @ 7:07pm