Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
w01fram Jan 28, 2014 @ 4:17pm
Greenlight vs Concepts
Hi all,

Last weekend I posted my game on Concepts, since after reading the 'About Greenlight' Section, I determined that my game is not a 'mostly-finished game'. But, I don't think it's a concept anymore either, and I am getting quite near the beta stage with mostly content left to add. So I wanted to ask here and see what you think and whether I should bump it up to Greenlight?

Link to : Concepts
or my website: http://www.DungeonColony.com

On a high level, the game still needs:
- music and sound,
- the main quest (I recently completed a set of tutorial quest and the game has a sandbox mode that contains all of the current game elements)
- a few new objects and creatures
- UI/Control improvements & balancing

Thaanks!
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 28, 2014 @ 4:32pm 
If you're in Alpha or Beta you can be on Greenlight. Concepts are projects that have not yet been made in any way, or are so completely unfinished that it wouldn't make sense to showcase the product.
I would add whatever content you think is important, then go for Greenlight.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Jan 28, 2014 @ 4:33pm 
Expect that it would take you a good six months or more (and that's being optimistic) to get through the Greenlight process. If you think your game could be reasonably finished during that time (or at least have all the important content added), go ahead.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:18pm 
Originally posted by -Z-:
Expect that it would take you a good six months or more (and that's being optimistic) to get through the Greenlight process. If you think your game could be reasonably finished during that time (or at least have all the important content added), go ahead.
Not anymore really, some games are being sent through in weeks.
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:20pm 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
True, but that depends on how well they've managed to advertise their product.

Even so, he could always just go on "Early Access" while finishing things up.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:21pm 
Originally posted by -Z-:
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
True, but that depends on how well they've managed to advertise their product.

Even so, he could always just go on "Early Access" while finishing things up.
He could.
w01fram Jan 28, 2014 @ 6:00pm 
Thanks so far for your replies. I'm already offering early access to the game. Seems to me the better option at this point is to just move it to Greenlight.

Also, when you go on greenlight, do you carry over the fans and favorites from the concept section or do you have to start over?
Gorlom[Swe] Jan 28, 2014 @ 9:25pm 
Originally posted by w01fram:
Thanks so far for your replies. I'm already offering early access to the game. Seems to me the better option at this point is to just move it to Greenlight.

Also, when you go on greenlight, do you carry over the fans and favorites from the concept section or do you have to start over?
You have to start over.

The question isn't really how much left you have to do. The question is "what do you have to show off?" Does what you have give an honest representation of the game? or do you need to riddle the description with "this is in the alpha/beta stage and what you see does not represent the final product... so just imagine this a lot better than it is" ?

If you can make a presentation that makes sense to consumers that watch your pitch/greenlight page then go for putting it in the greenlight section. If not, hold off untill you can.
w01fram Jan 28, 2014 @ 10:02pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:

You have to start over.

The question isn't really how much left you have to do. The question is "what do you have to show off?" Does what you have give an honest representation of the game? or do you need to riddle the description with "this is in the alpha/beta stage and what you see does not represent the final product... so just imagine this a lot better than it is" ?

If you can make a presentation that makes sense to consumers that watch your pitch/greenlight page then go for putting it in the greenlight section. If not, hold off untill you can.

Gorlom, yea I was thinking about that a lot, good point. I created a trailer for the game recently and it shows you the fundamental concepts that will not change much in the final version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOm0KjiGHbc

The elements that will change are content that I still need to add, which will cost to produce (art, music, levels (professional levels)). I need more Visibility to get more sales/followers in order to afford the new content and/or run a successful crowd funding campaign (which I've never done and am terrified of). And I'm afraid that Concepts doesn't provide me with that visibility as much as Greenlight could. (I've had fans tell me that they coudn't find Dungeon Colony on Greenlight, after reading on my blog that I posted the game on Concepts, so there's that confusion :p)

So I still tend towards moving to Greenlight atm =)

Gorlom[Swe] Jan 28, 2014 @ 11:44pm 
Do not base your kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign on just greenlight and followers imo (hasn't the followers already bought early acceess?).
You need to plan how to reach out to more than that. Some way to spread it across forums (without being that annoying driveby advertiser). If you can get some respcted user at NEOGaff to recommend it over there that could be gold worth (big forum that has previously made up a large part of sucessfull kickstarters traffic.. although I assume they are probably a bit tired of kickstarter presently). Contact some jourtnalists. get some Youtuber celebrities/lets players to review the game etc etc.

Personally I feel it is kind of iffy to submit the game to greenlight and then to kickstarter. It signals that you don't know if you wil lbe able to complete the game and has submitted it to greenlight too early imo.
I would get at least music first before starting up the campaign (the music in the trailer is not ingame music right? that could lead to customers feeling mislead). not sure which art is missing you can probably get away without finishing that. probably without professional levels as well if you can show off the game with the ones you got..

PS: The idea of a 2D dungeonkeeper like looks interesting ^^ I wish you the best of luck with your project. (make sure you have cool deathanimations)
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jan 28, 2014 @ 11:45pm
C0untzer0 (Banned) Jan 29, 2014 @ 1:43am 
I need more Visibility to get more sales/followers in order to afford the new content and/or run a successful crowd funding campaign (which I've never done and am terrified of). And I'm afraid that Concepts doesn't provide me with that visibility as much as Greenlight could. (I've had fans tell me that they coudn't find Dungeon Colony on Greenlight, after reading on my blog that I posted the game on Concepts, so there's that confusion :p)

I wouldn't normally do this kinda thing, but:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/828925849107588461/?appid=765
w01fram Jan 29, 2014 @ 5:46pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Do not base your kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign on just greenlight and followers imo (hasn't the followers already bought early acceess?).
You need to plan how to reach out to more than that. Some way to spread it across forums (without being that annoying driveby advertiser). If you can get some respcted user at NEOGaff to recommend it over there that could be gold worth (big forum that has previously made up a large part of sucessfull kickstarters traffic.. although I assume they are probably a bit tired of kickstarter presently). Contact some jourtnalists. get some Youtuber celebrities/lets players to review the game etc etc.

Personally I feel it is kind of iffy to submit the game to greenlight and then to kickstarter. It signals that you don't know if you wil lbe able to complete the game and has submitted it to greenlight too early imo.
I would get at least music first before starting up the campaign (the music in the trailer is not ingame music right? that could lead to customers feeling mislead). not sure which art is missing you can probably get away without finishing that. probably without professional levels as well if you can show off the game with the ones you got..

PS: The idea of a 2D dungeonkeeper like looks interesting ^^ I wish you the best of luck with your project. (make sure you have cool deathanimations)

GorlomSwe: Thanks for all your advice. I'm not in a hurry and I rather build a community the organic way instead of rushing it. (I don't understand why indies are often portrayed as needing to rush things and finish all of these features in x days.... imo it's better to get something done, even if it takes a bit longer.) Having at least music in my product is also something i considered waiting for, because personally, I wouldn't want to buy a game on steam if it didn't contain music yet (Yes, the music in the video is just for the trailer).

Originally posted by C0untzer0:
I need more Visibility to get more sales/followers in order to afford the new content and/or run a successful crowd funding campaign (which I've never done and am terrified of). And I'm afraid that Concepts doesn't provide me with that visibility as much as Greenlight could. (I've had fans tell me that they coudn't find Dungeon Colony on Greenlight, after reading on my blog that I posted the game on Concepts, so there's that confusion :p)

I wouldn't normally do this kinda thing, but:
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/828925849107588461/?appid=765

C0untzer0: Glad you decided to change your mind this time =) Thanks!
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 28, 2014 @ 4:17pm