Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Konke Jan 28 @ 1:57pm
Telescopic arms and panels not working
Hey, I just came across this tutorial but can't seem to get it right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbSu0En1800

Does it work for you? The problem is that my telescopic arm won't start in the desired idle position. When it triggers it starts its animation in another place.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
TeamSpen210 Jan 28 @ 10:59pm 
A bunch of animations appear in different places than the origin of the model. Panel arm brushes should be 2 units thick, not 8. Personally I do my panel animations a bit differently, though this way works too. I set "hold animation" to true, give the animation no default animation to make it stay at the BindPose position, then I can just give it the SetParentAttachmentMaintainOffset input and then a SetAnimation input.

There's always idle animations for the animations that start at a different offset position, just have a look. Small tip: in the properties for any item with a model there is a "model" tab where you can play back animations as they appear inside your level. It's a bit buggy and often makes models play a seemingly random animation when you exit out of the property. It doesn't do anything in the actual map, so it doesn't matter too much but it can get annoying.
Gemarakup Jan 29 @ 12:31am 
My way of making panels: add the model and choose animations and put the default animation as the idleend. Then I copy paste to the same location and change the numbers in the default animations and I restart hammer. Then all my panels are aligned, so I move them into the wall. Then I parent the brushes to the panels (2 units thick) and add the Setparentattachmentmaintainoffset panel attach thing and add the set default animations as idle instead of idleend in the logic auto. Then make the animations move and set them back to idleend.
Konke Jan 29 @ 9:57am 
Originally posted by TeamSpen210:
A bunch of animations appear in different places than the origin of the model. Panel arm brushes should be 2 units thick, not 8. Personally I do my panel animations a bit differently, though this way works too. I set "hold animation" to true, give the animation no default animation to make it stay at the BindPose position, then I can just give it the SetParentAttachmentMaintainOffset input and then a SetAnimation input.

There's always idle animations for the animations that start at a different offset position, just have a look. Small tip: in the properties for any item with a model there is a "model" tab where you can play back animations as they appear inside your level. It's a bit buggy and often makes models play a seemingly random animation when you exit out of the property. It doesn't do anything in the actual map, so it doesn't matter too much but it can get annoying.

I've changed the panel thickness to 2 units, set "hold animation" to "yes", and deleted the "default animation" which earlier was "powerupM_01bendy01_idleend". But what is "BindPose" and "Offset Position"?

The "model" tab in properties is, like you said, buggy. Very buggy in my case which is kind of annoying.
Konke Jan 29 @ 10:02am 
Originally posted by Gemarakup:
My way of making panels: add the model and choose animations and put the default animation as the idleend. Then I copy paste to the same location and change the numbers in the default animations and I restart hammer. Then all my panels are aligned, so I move them into the wall. Then I parent the brushes to the panels (2 units thick) and add the Setparentattachmentmaintainoffset panel attach thing and add the set default animations as idle instead of idleend in the logic auto. Then make the animations move and set them back to idleend.
What do you mean by "copy and paste to the same location"?

I'm experimenting a bit on my own, but I still find these animations very difficult to understand. However... what seems to be the problem at the moment is that the panel doesn't start at the wanted position. Like the video tutorial instructed, I have pointed the logic_auto to the logic_relay. The logic_relay, as I understand, tells the arm to stay in a specific position. I my case I want it to stay at the idle position, when it's out. Then the logic_auto says that OnMapSpawn the logic_relay will be triggered. But it doesn't seem to work. The arm is in a "standard" position when I launch the map...
Gemarakup Jan 29 @ 10:44am 
Copy and then when you paste it, move it to the place where the original is, because animations for reconstruction are automatically positioned. The model tab doesn't do anything. It just shows the animations in hammer. The logic_auto is meant to set the default animation as the idle or the start animation and it's also meant to set the attach point of the brushes (in our case, panel_attach). The logic_relay does the animations and sets the default animation to idleend, so it doesn't move back to idle. Using hold animation is also an option, but it might cause problems. BindPose is basically no animation. Reloading the map prevents confusion with the model tab and the default animation.

I understand that this is confusing, and I don't blame you. This is very complex logic, but it's easy to get used to it eventually.
Konke Jan 29 @ 11:29am 
I do seem to get it working. Almost. I've changed the default animation of the prop_dynamic (arm) to idle, and not idleend, as the tutorial says. Then the arm starts in the idle position, which I want.

So I take it that the logic_auto doesn't change the starting animation to idle... how come?

EDIT: On second thought, I start to believe that my logic_relay doesn't give the correct input to the arm. The setting that doesn't seem to work is:

OnTrigger | wall_arm_01 | SetDefaultAnimation | powerupM_01bendy01_idle | 0.00 | No

So when the map starts the arm isn't placed in it's idle position as wanted. How can I solve this problem?
Gemarakup Jan 29 @ 8:50pm 
You should set the default animation as idleend and make it idle with outputs so you won't be confused.
Did you do this in the logic auto?
OnMapSpawn> wall_arm_01> SetDefaultAnimation> powerupM_01bendy01_idle.
Konke Jan 30 @ 1:02am 
Excellent tips guys, I got it working! The link http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Panels worked a lot better than the video tutorial. I thought the video tutorial illustrated how Valve created moving panels but it doesn't seem to be the case.

All in all, both the methods are trying to do the same thing as to set the starting arm as idle but in the Hammer editor you have it set as idleend to easier allign the panel brush. I guess the logic_relay and logic_auto from the video tutorial didn't work as intended in my case.

Thank you again. Oh, I and was wondering why I (need) to set "only once" to "yes". If the trigger sais only once, isn't it enough?
Gemarakup Jan 30 @ 11:21am 
In which entity? As long as your panels don't replay animations.
Konke Jan 30 @ 1:21pm 
In logic_auto and logic_relay.
Gemarakup Jan 30 @ 11:26pm 
Logic auto kills itself, so you don't need to add the only one thing. Logic relay doesn't need if the trigger activating it is a trigger once. FYI, the VDC is written by the community, and some of the pages are quite incorrect.
Konke Jan 31 @ 1:38am 
Ah, that's very good to know. Are there any articles written by the developers? Or is the whole website written by the community? I got the feeling it was an official site.
TeamSpen210 Jan 31 @ 2:06am 
The website content is written by the community, although some developers have probably edited in the past. It's official, though. F1 in hammer is set to open the VDC, that's official enough for me. The "only once" property makes an output delete itself after firing. Not really useful with a trigger_once or logic_auto, but it's useful here to ensure the animation won't play again (teleporting to the start frame doesn't look very realistic.
Konke Jan 31 @ 9:22am 
Thanks! This has been very helpful.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50