Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Göksan Jun 8 @ 7:15pm
Remaining games and shut down of Greenlight
The Greenlight is going to change or end after 8-9 months. What is going to happen when Greenlight is shut down? Will the games which are still waiting on that time fail directly?
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
< >
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 9 @ 1:31am 
Originally posted by Göksan:
The Greenlight is going to change or end after 8-9 months. What is going to happen when Greenlight is shut down? Will the games which are still waiting on that time fail directly?
You mention in the first sentance that Greenlight is going to change (or end). In all likelyhood all the games in Greenlight will carry over to whatever Greenlight changes into.
Why did you not provide a source to this rumor so that people could read for themselves instead of starting to panic and spout nonsense like Georjack?

Originally posted by Georjack:
What? Steam GreenLight will be closed?
If you don't know about gabes intentions already then you should google for any news about Greenlight shutting down instead of haveing a hissifit based on how someone else interperated a rumor you read on a forum.

Now, I also found on internet what Gabe Newell said about this. When GreenLight will be closed?
¨So? What did Gabe say? Do you have a link so the rest of us can read what you found so we can comment on that particular article? Or are we supposed to guess?
After 1-2 years or because I want to add a game on GreenLight. And because there are no indie, this is just a myth, a fake.
Are you drunk?

I'm working on a game for a few months, but ago 2 years I began to learn how to use GameMaker and UDK for creating a game. So, Steam instigated me to hope that I will launch a game on Steam and I worked 2 years and now I want to add a game on GreenLight and I also bought GameMaker, Leadwerks: Indie Edition and also I bought UDK, recently 2 months ago.
So, If Valve will close GreenLight, Valve will be obliged to add my game without GreenLight, otherwise, I will sue Steam and I will reveal some special secret.
So, my question is, when GreenLight will be closed?

... Sue? That is a frivolous lawsuit if I ever saw one. You have no ground to stand on for that one. Valve is not obliged to do anything for you just because you got inspired to make a game.
Skoardy Jun 9 @ 3:12am 
Hello everyone, welcome to Feb2013 yet again...

(And Gorlom, Georjack is just that tired old troll from the voting for others thread, remember?)
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 9 @ 4:25am 
especially as I own a secret file/folder about America.

Haahahahahahahahah. How is that relevant in any way? Why do you even bother bringing that up?

@Skoardy: I did not. But I must say I find him quite entertaining in this thread. He is really over the top now.
-Z- Jun 9 @ 5:35am 
I own a secret file/folder about America.
Not anymore.

And another thing, I have the right to sue anyone for free. I got this right from the government of my country.
Only works within your country, though. Good luck trying to apply that to anyone outside said country's jurisdiction.
C0untzer0 Jun 9 @ 6:02am 
Originally posted by -Z-:
Only works within your country, though. Good luck trying to apply that to anyone outside said country's jurisdiction.
Sorry, but I have to remind you that the nature of the internet means that an entity can be prosecuted in any jurisdiction in which harm has been proven.
In the case of Georjack a more pertinent test to apply would be whether he is mental competent to appear in court.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jun 9 @ 6:02am
Sera Jun 9 @ 6:55am 
That guy sounds pathetic... I can't even bring myself to take him seriously. "Steam ruined my life" ...Really? Wtf...
Göksan Jun 9 @ 7:18am 
For example here it says Greenlightis going away. So before paying 100 dollars for my game to be on Greenlight, I need to know what is going to happen.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-looking-to-discontinue-steam-greenlight-and-steam-os-may-have-exclusives/1100-6417155/
Skoardy Jun 9 @ 7:52am 
It's now 6 months after that article was published and 1 1/2 years since Valve said that Greenlight would become something else. Yes, it might go away tomorrow. It might last another 6 months+. Valve aren't going to come here and give you a definite ETA for whatever re-organisation they going to settle on so... it's simply your choice.
-Z- Jun 9 @ 7:56am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Sorry, but I have to remind you that the nature of the internet means that an entity can be prosecuted in any jurisdiction in which harm has been proven.
In the case of Georjack a more pertinent test to apply would be whether he is mental competent to appear in court.
Certainly, a court in one jurisdiction could go through the motions of a court case, but if the proclaimed guilty party resides outside the jurisdiction, then it becomes increasingly difficult to actually enforce the decided punishment the further outside the jurisdiction said party is.

When the matter crosses international boundaries, then it will depend on if the host nation of the proclaimed guilty party actually cares what the host nation of the court case says and whether they would actually do anything to aid in the carrying out of said decided punishment.

Essentially, it could boil down to a court in one jurisdiction saying "X is guilty and to be charged Y amount," and the host country responding with, "That's nice."

It depends entirely upon the level of inter-jurisdiction cooperation.
Last edited by -Z-; Jun 9 @ 8:03am
-Z- Jun 9 @ 7:58am 
-Z-, "I'll not bother you any more with this, but it was just a warning, because these truths will shock the world."
Not likely. The world tends to be rather subdued in its reactions to things, as a whole. You might possibly excite a few groups for a little while, but they would probably move on whenever the next item of interest comes along.
C0untzer0 Jun 9 @ 8:14am 
Essentially, it could boil down to a court in one jurisdiction saying "X is guilty and to be charged Y amount," and the host country responding with, "That's nice."

Also on whether the guilty party is trying to conduct commerce in the jurisdiction in which it is judged to have a legal liability. In this case certain levies and outright bans can be put in place as a direct result of the judgement. In the hypothetical case of Georjack v Newell, a judgement against Valve to the value of Georjacks work could result in gabe having to give the court a trading card or possibly a hat.
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 9 @ 11:20am 
.]Only works within your country, though. Good luck trying to apply that to anyone outside said country's jurisdiction.

Oh, we are acctually countering his arguments? Shouldn't the first thing we say be that providing an optional service and then stopping to provide that service after announcing the stop well in advance is not a criminal act under any law?

And that his lawyer is the troll king and smoking pot is bad mmmkay?

C0untzer0, exactly. Since I've visited Valve from internet, this means I had access to international companies. For example, if I will break NASA servers from America, I will not be criminally responsible? Yes.
You do know NASA is American right? So if you attack an American governmental agency from America there is nothing international about it...

What happens on the Internet is classified as international, and a deed may be penalized regardless of location. And to finish this, I want to say that GreenLight and Early Access must remain open until May 2020 minimum and maximum by 2040.
And I will prove this in the court of law. But this whole "sued" will happen only if GreenLight will close and I will not be able to add my game in Steam.
Why did you include a maximum? Why does Greenlight have to stop by the year 2040? Where are these arbitrary numbers from? That is hillarious. ^^
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jun 9 @ 11:21am
C0untzer0 Jun 9 @ 11:28am 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:

Oh, we are acctually countering his arguments?
We all remember how Z likes a good debate, it seemed like a good moment to dust off the compulsory law element of my degree, as it so rarely comes up in my day-to-day.

Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Shouldn't the first thing we say be that providing an optional service and then stopping to provide that service after announcing the stop well in advance is not a criminal act under any law?
No, the first thing is to find out if there's a responsible adult who can take responsibility for him.
AusSkiller Jun 9 @ 12:39pm 
And another thing, I have the right to sue anyone for free. I got this right from the government of my country. So, I think Gabe should think 100.000 times before closing GreenLight.
ROFL. That is by far the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.

First of all, unless both you and Valve signed a contract where Valve explicitly stated they would offer you a service (in this case Greenlight) without any clauses allowing them to change or remove the service (as I believe there are in the standard Greenlight agreement) then you cannot sue them because they have no legal obligation to you. If it were possible to sue a company because they stopped running a service then it would be impossible for any company to ever stop running a service without going bankrupt due to lawsuits.

Second, you get what you pay for. If you don't hire a lawyer then you are likely going to get stuck with a 3rd rate court appointed one that probably doesn't even specialize in the correct field of law, and they aren't going to stand a chance against Valve's entire legal team that probably gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars just to defend exactly that kind of lawsuit.

Third, if you lose, and you most certainly will, then Valve can probably counter sue for their legal costs in defending against your lawsuit and the legal costs of counter suing, which will run you up a couple hundred thousand (good luck paying that off).

Fourth, Gabe has indicated that he wants to change or replace Greenlight with something that makes it easier to get games onto Steam, so when Greenlight is changed or replaced it's likely to be better for you, good luck trying to argue that it cost you money when it is actually more likely to make you money.

Fifth, you may have a right to sue people, but there are penalties for abusing that right by creating frivolous lawsuits, if you tried to sue Valve you would almost certainly be found guilty of that and be severely fined, but I don't doubt that any decent lawyer you seek to represent you would strongly advise you to just drop the lawsuit before that happened anyway.
Last edited by AusSkiller; Jun 9 @ 12:41pm
-Z- Jun 9 @ 4:36pm 

Also on whether the guilty party is trying to conduct commerce in the jurisdiction in which it is judged to have a legal liability. In this case certain levies and outright bans can be put in place as a direct result of the judgement. In the hypothetical case of Georjack v Newell, a judgement against Valve to the value of Georjacks work could result in gabe having to give the court a trading card or possibly a hat.
Indeed. It also depends on if the alleged crime is actually considered to be a crime within the jurisdictions supposed to cooperate.

Somehow, I doubt it would be in this particular case. Considering that there has never been a guarantee that a game submitted to Greenlight will actually be greenlit as it must subsequently garner enough support to pass through the process, there is no guarantee that submitting a game to Greenlight will cause the game to be on Steam. Thus, if the a game submitted to Greenlight and is not greenlit does not get on Steam before whatever major change occurs whenever it does, and thus the game is barred from passing through the Greenlight process, no binding agreement would have been broken and thus a court case about the matter would be a farce. Now, if the game has been greenlit already, then it might be worth some consideration, but I think it's likely that Valve would make a special case for said games. Considering that Georjack has no submitted games linked to his account, this would not appear to be the case and thus I think he is just talking out of his posterior.
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 8 @ 7:15pm