Steam Greenlight
This topic has been locked
Personally perhaps im a sour puss butt
id like to see the games given a chance to be green lit to be limited to those who are half conpleted at least with alot of potenital to be conpleted see games like Towns for instance
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 2, 2014 @ 8:05pm 
Towns? is that supposed to be an exmaple of a good or bad level of progress? Either way Towns had some really special circumstances with it's launch that I hope other developers learned from. And it makes it a terrible example to use to get any point across.
Harry the mad Jun 2, 2014 @ 9:51pm 
eather way i think it calls into question the system in place so far
Harry the mad Jun 2, 2014 @ 9:54pm 
towns was dropped shortly after it was started for the most part then was passed around like i dont know what after the original develiper abandoned it
C0untzer0 Jun 3, 2014 @ 12:00am 
Originally posted by harry72023:
And that's why after Towns, Valve changed the way games were released on Steam. Any other redundant requests roling round?
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 3, 2014 @ 5:18am 
That would not have helped Towns in any way. The lead developer told Valve the game was finished because he considered it "complete" based on the designdocument or feature logg or something and decided it was finished. That is why he released it. He didnt think he was releasing a halffinished crappy mess.
No changes to the system will ever deal with that kind of selfglorified selective blindness.
Not unless Valve increases their workload and starts to throughly buggtest games for developers. And lets be realistic, that is not going to happen.

towns was dropped shortly after it was started for the most part then was passed around like i dont know what after the original develiper abandoned it
Huh? I think you got your facts wrong mister.
The game was still being worked on as late as middle of last month. There has been some back and forths with development ceasing and being resumed, but the game is as far as I know still living and being fixed. By the original developer (at least one of them) no less.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jun 3, 2014 @ 5:23am
Harry the mad Jun 3, 2014 @ 12:34pm 
acually i belive in the first 6 mounths of relise it made over 2 million dollars shourlty after they got those funds for some strange reason develioupment slowed to a crawl
Skoardy Jun 3, 2014 @ 3:01pm 
acually i belive in the first 6 mounths of relise it made over 2 million dollars shourlty after they got those funds for some strange reason develioupment slowed to a crawl
So now you're saying it wasn't dropped - instead the development speed just wasn't fast enough for your liking?
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 3, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
Yeah, and if you had followed the development a tiny tiny bit better (say read any article about the Towns debacle) you would know why. They have been very open about what has been happening, how many people have been working on the game and when they have done so etc etc.

It has nothing to do with the system. No change Valve makes would have fixed the Towns mess, unless ofc they included an all expenses paid health plan or performed healing miracles.
Towns launch and followup is a horrible horrible mess. But none of that has anything to do with Valve. It's all on the developers. It is an exceptionally bad example for any kind of point you are trying to make.
Harry the mad Jun 3, 2014 @ 9:31pm 
no it was dropped in the end its even in the info for it now just only seemed to do really good the first few mounths honstly its the only one im directly fimilliar with at present so the only one i can speek of from my own limited experince
Harry the mad Jun 3, 2014 @ 9:33pm 
honstly its a fun game but them anouncing they wont be working on it anymore is well quite saddening
C0untzer0 Jun 3, 2014 @ 11:41pm 
honstly its the only one im directly fimilliar with at present so the only one i can speek of from my own limited experince
One is hardly a representative sample.
Also, there's a reason why this cae became so well known. Do you think it made so many headlines for being stereotypical of such releases, or because it was exceptional.
Do ALL English football teams win world cups? I can only think of one, and it did...
Does Wayne Gretzky win every game he coaches? I've seen his run at the 2004 Olympics, so I guess he must...
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jun 4, 2014 @ 1:33am
Harry the mad Jun 4, 2014 @ 1:25am 
its an honest concern that they need to keep a very close eye on it whats the saying one bad apple spoils the lot doesnt help that they have a no refunds policy only want them to do there part to keep honst people honest
C0untzer0 Jun 4, 2014 @ 1:33am 
So the fact that they changed the way that they did things, and introduced a whole new set of rules and in fact a complete market section as a result of that one bad apple wasn't enough?
Should they take steps to ensure that no programmers ever get ill, or that other projects never fail?
Do you kow how many non-greenlit games have fallen into limbo just here on Steam? I'll give you a hint, compared to Greenlight releases, there are other publishers who have a far worse record for games suddenly dropping support.
Gorlom[Swe] Jun 4, 2014 @ 5:49am 
no it was dropped in the end its even in the info for it now just only seemed to do really good the first few mounths honstly its the only one im directly fimilliar with at present so the only one i can speek of from my own limited experince
When was it terminally/decisivly dropped? do you have a link to the info? Are you sure they did not pick it up again after? It's been "dropped" and resumed a few times AFAIK.

As of may 14th 2014 The game is supposedly not dropped:
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11495

Burning pet (one of the developers, not Xavi) is posting on the forum responding to an issue saying he "will look into it" as late as 28th of May:
http://www.townsgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11495&start=60#p75143

The game does not seem to currently be "dropped".
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Jun 4, 2014 @ 7:14am
Skoardy Jun 4, 2014 @ 6:57am 
whats the saying one bad apple spoils the lot
(I hope you don't mind me snipping this out of the middle of your sentence. You don't seem to have learnt about punctuation so it's hard to tell where you start and stop.)

It might be a saying but it's not applicable. I own a number of great games from Greenlight and my enjoyment of those games isn't spoiled in any way by the existence of Towns. Are all AAA games spoiled by the fact that a mere four months after release they announced they had no plans to fix the many bugs still left in Arkham Origins? Heck, I doubt it's even spoiled the Batman franchise. People will still be snapping up the new game, now that it's back with the previous competent devs.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 2, 2014 @ 7:23pm