Negev Bitches Jul 13 @ 3:26pm
Workshop 200Mb Download Limit
The steam workshop currently, to my knowledge, has a 200mb limit on all mods, this cripples it hugely.

The Arma 3 workshop only has scenarios and maps but the game itself has many actual mods.
The new Mount and Blade Warband workshop suffers the same problem, hell, even Crusader Kings 2 suffers from it.

Many people will miss out on these mods which are greater than the size limit and so miss out on, what I feel to be, a large part of PC gaming.

Steam has the resources to do this, allowing downloads > 200mb as mods would not even register to them - they have 33% of 90% of all PC gaming income, if they cant do what moddb manages to do for free then I seriously question their management.

Also, why isnt steam workshop intergrated into almost everything yet? Every game with mods should have it, I cant imagine it would be hard to add to old games which still have an active modding community like STALKER and Total War; with these games the mods are very much an important part even if they are not as much in modern games.
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
aiusepsi Jul 13 @ 6:04pm 
There actually was just a new API released to developers which doesn't have size limits. The new system looks to be based on the same system as is used to distribute full games, rather than the old which was based on Steam Cloud.

New workshops in the future will probably use the new API and so won't have limits, but I don't know what older games will do.

Not all games have workshops because some of the work involved has to be done by the games themselves, and not all developers are going to retrofit their old games. It's unfortunate, but it happens.
Negev Bitches Jul 14 @ 4:41am 
but some games which do have modding capability dont have workshops. Im not complaining that things like CoD and other games without mods dont have workshop im complaining about the ones which do have mods but dont have workshop support.

That sounds like it will fix the size limit, will it be applied to old workshops?
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 13 @ 3:26pm