Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

CS:GO WANTS YOU
Download and play new maps and browse weapon finishes and stickers created by the community. Follow your favorite authors and be sure to rate their work. Interested in making content for CS:GO?
Learn More
Roobles 1 Jul 11 @ 9:36pm
Personal Use of Custom Skins
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask, but I've been searching through documentation and I can't find a straight answer. Is it possible to create and use custom weapon skins without making them publicly available?

Everything seems to work under the assumption that people want their skin to be published to the workshop and be eligible for incorporation into the game. With all of the legal, moral, political, and cosmetic limitations, censorship, and bureaucracy that comes with it. Is there a way to sidestep this process, and create a personal/private CS experience without all of the red tape? Like was always possible with prior versions of Counter-Strike?
Last edited by Roobles; Jul 12 @ 12:17am
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Roobles 1 Jul 13 @ 10:16am 
Bumping, since it has been two days.
IceTom 3 Jul 14 @ 1:29am 
its not possible on VAC or sv_pure 1 servers to use custom skins. That made it virtually impossible to play online with custom skins.
Roobles 1 Jul 14 @ 3:50pm 
Thanks for the response; I really appreciate it. Custom skins are blocked by VAC? That certainly makes them quite... dead.

Which is quite sad, since such simple things as even "gold colored weapons" are banned on the workshop.
Kickasso 22 Jul 15 @ 7:13am 
gold is over used and too easy to make =/ also, try hosting your own server without VAC and sv_pure 1, custom skins but hackers will probably be frequent.
Roobles 1 Jul 16 @ 10:36pm 
Huh. So, I was confused about the system. I thought it was possible to use custom weapon skins after they were added to the workshop, at least client-side.

So. The current system works as: invest 5-15 hours of your life into making a skin that you can never possibly use? That you will never see in a proper resolution, under real game lighting conditions? Never get to fire a single bullet from, even in an offline bot game? All so that Valve can exploit and profit off the top 0.005% of incredibly talented users that have already purchased their game?

That's. Wow. Quite the hustle that Valve is running. I'm not even mad. I'm impressed.
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 11 @ 9:36pm