Left 4 Dead 2

Your own custom apocalypse
Discover and download new maps, Add-ons, Mutations and more! Want to try your hand at modding or want to upload your mod to Steam? Click here to learn more.
Johnny Valentine Jul 8 @ 1:16am
How to uninstall, add-ons for good?
HelloI have this problem:

I suscribed to a workshop add-on, BUT I dont want the add-on anymore.
I delete it from my game folder, but keeps downloading EVERY single time I play the game!

When I try to unsuscribe, I can´t cuz the add on-was banned for some reason and It´s like a never ending bad dream, plz help!
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 6:13am 
Originally posted by Johnny Valentine:
When I try to unsuscribe, I can´t cuz the add on-was banned for some reason and It´s like a never ending bad dream, plz help!
I want a link to this so-called-banned addon.

If an addon was banned, then it would not be downloading the addon to begin with.

Unsubscribe fro all the addons and delete the addons folder.
Delete the Steam\appcache folder and restart steam.

[linux] sophia hapgood Jul 8 @ 6:32am 
I still get subscriptions to banned addons too, although I've never needed to unsubscribe. That's quite the unfortunate oversight in the workshop.
Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 6:35am 
Originally posted by sophia:
I still get subscriptions to banned addons too, although I've never needed to unsubscribe.
Are you saying that the banned addons are removed from the workshop folder even though you are still subscribed?
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 8 @ 9:49am
[linux] sophia hapgood Jul 8 @ 12:06pm 
Originally posted by Knappy:
Originally posted by sophia:
I still get subscriptions to banned addons too, although I've never needed to unsubscribe.
Are you saying that the banned addons are removed from the workshop folder even though you are still subscribed?

No, they aren't. I've never tried unsubscribing, but the addons are still in my folder and they still download updates despite being banned and non-visible from the workshop.

I think it's because banned workshop items remain on the workshop, but visible only to the uploader and admins (I know this because reasons). Would subscriptions still work for a public player when the workshop item goes friends only? Who knows, maybe it's a workshop oversight and workshop items, once subscribed, will always be subscribed to.

Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 4:01pm 
Originally posted by mad cuz bad:
Who knows, maybe it's a workshop oversight and workshop items, once subscribed, will always be subscribed to.
Not true with legitimate addons. I have tested, packed and recompiled over 300 addons and UN-subscribed never to see them again (After Shift-Deleting the workshop folder of course)

Also, if you don't UN-subsribe, they will remain there, regardless of their validity. Once a .vpk is installed steam will not remove it.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 8 @ 4:02pm
Johnny Valentine Jul 8 @ 4:45pm 
Originally posted by Johnny Valentine:
I want a link to this so-called-banned addon.

If an addon was banned, then it would not be downloading the addon to begin with.

Unsubscribe fro all the addons and delete the addons folder.
Delete the Steam\appcache folder and restart steam.

here there is a capture and the link of the add-on in question:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283275613

when i press view in workshop this is the error:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165384783

I already erased and removed all add ons, like you said...
and still this freaking thing downloads AGAIN and AGAIN

:S
Last edited by Johnny Valentine; Jul 8 @ 4:54pm
Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 5:38pm 
Only two things I know to do. Submit a ticket and wait for The Builders to come and fix it, or nuke everything except the common folder (minus addons).
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 8 @ 5:40pm
Johnny Valentine Jul 8 @ 5:59pm 
Only two things I know to do. Submit a ticket and wait for The Builders to come and fix it, or nuke everything except the common folder (minus addons).

can you tell me how to do that?
i mean summit the ticket and nuke, i will a preciate it
Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 6:10pm 
I scoured the L4D2 database and Steam folder for workshop cache files and found nothing except the addonlist.txt and that has nothing to do with this issue, thus the following is no guarantee but is worth a try:

By nuke I mean completely destroy Steam:
  • Copy your steamapps/common folder where all your games are to your desktop for example.
  • Since this is a L4D2 problem, delete L4D2 from the common folder
  • Uninstall Steam completely.
  • Clean your registry (CCleaner[www.piriform.com]).
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall Steam.
  • UN-subscribe from all addons
  • Install L4D2.

Report your findings. Your other games (steamapps/common) can be copied back after you install steam, it will re-discover the files without having to re-download all of them, but do this after we confirm whether or not this nuke method fixes the issue.

Steam Support (Tickets)
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 8 @ 6:45pm
Knappy 63 Jul 8 @ 6:42pm 
....situation took some extreme work and manipulation in order to resolve this issue.

See here[www.dropbox.com] how much work it took to fix this.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 8 @ 6:52pm
Johnny Valentine Jul 8 @ 6:51pm 
....situation took some extreme work and manipulation in order to resolve this issue.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50