Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
This topic has been locked
Xiooo Jul 5, 2014 @ 5:32am
A Guide to Greenlight
Does the game have a GIF as main icon? ---> Propably Trash
Does the game contain Zombies? ---> 99% sure it's trash
Does the games surface look like Google Maps? ---> Trash
Does the games Textures look like in 2005? ---> Propably Trash
Does the game look like it has been made entirely with MSPaint? ---> Trash
Does the game rely on "innovative" gameplay elements such as Blocks, guns, etc... and maybe even combines them? ---> Propably Trash

Does the game has serious Programmers, innovative gameplay and realistic goals and its own flair? ---> Propably going to be a good game.

What I want to say here is: Please stop trying to make your GBA-Niveau-Games (<--- Nothing against GBA, but it's 2014...) count as "Indie". Just because you are the only Programmer on a Project, that doesnt mean that Anything you do is an Indie-Title.

Sure, not every game is bad, but please think realistic. Most of the Submissions wouldn't be played by the people who submitted them.
I am angry and sad what this place has become...

** I do not want Valve or the Customers to change something, but the People who contribute to Greenlight **

Greetings, a Greenlight user who won't buy 98% of all entrys.
Last edited by Xiooo; Jul 5, 2014 @ 5:37am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
AusSkiller Jul 5, 2014 @ 6:17am 
Originally posted by Xiooo:
That's kind of the whole point of Greenlight, you are expected to not like the vast majority of the games, the reason Greenlight exists is to find out the few that you would buy out of the thousands of games submitted to Valve so that those few can be put on Steam instead of the rest of the crap no one wants.
Xiooo Jul 5, 2014 @ 12:09pm 
Yeah, but what i do no understand is why people really believe that these <3 Games can pass Greenlight. It's like saying in a Job Interview: "Ah, your business is horrible".
C0untzer0 Jul 5, 2014 @ 12:20pm 
Yeah, but what i do no understand is why people really believe that these <3 Games can pass Greenlight. It's like saying in a Job Interview: "Ah, your business is horrible".
3 words:
Dunning
Kruger
effect.
Xiooo Jul 6, 2014 @ 6:41am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
3 words:
Dunning
Kruger
effect.

Either that, or the simple "Give me money, i spent at least 40 Minutes to make this game *cries* "-Version.
Zero Jul 6, 2014 @ 10:37am 
The games that pass Greenlight do because the community voted for them and they reached the top amount of votes. We can blame the devs as much as we want but I do not think the blame is 'completely' on them. Sure, they put their games on Greenlight then what...? Their fate is onto us. We are the ones who make them pass or not...
Xiooo Jul 6, 2014 @ 11:49am 
Originally posted by Sera:
We are the ones who make them pass or not...

That's my point: They really believe that the community wants to play games like... like... You know which ones i'm talkin about. Games need their own flair. And most "developers" on Greenlight don't seem to understand that.
I love Greenlight and the Idea of it, but there should be Two stages:
A first stage, where Valve (or steam stuff) decides if the game has a future.
And a second stage, which is the Greenlight we have right now
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:15pm 
Games need their own flair.
Why? What do you base this assumption on?
Xiooo Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:26pm 
Because noone likes copys or "I made this in 1 hour"-Games.

I dont care if games take ideas from other games as long asthe "spirit", the experience is different
C0untzer0 Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:27pm 
I love Greenlight and the Idea of it, but there should be Two stages:
A first stage, where Valve (or steam stuff) decides if the game has a future.
And a second stage, which is the Greenlight we have right now
I think you have that the wrong way round.
The first stage would be appeal, the second feasibility
Last edited by C0untzer0; Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:27pm
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:31pm 
Because noone likes copys
What makes you think that? The evidence seems to indicate the contrary? (I'm not talking about Greenlight games here)

I dont care if games take ideas from other games as long asthe "spirit", the experience is different
So how can you tell that "most developers in greenlight don't seem to understand this"? Have you tried their games?
Xiooo Jul 6, 2014 @ 12:46pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Have you tried their games?

The Gameplay-Trailers are enough most of the time.
Qon Jul 6, 2014 @ 1:18pm 
Does the game have a GIF as main icon? ---> Propably made by a programmer/game designer instead of a marketer
Does the game contain Zombies? ---> 99% sure it's a zombie game
Does the games surface look like Google Maps? ---> probably is google maps
Does the games Textures look like in 2005? ---> Propably has low resolution textures
Does the game look like it has been made entirely with MSPaint? ---> probably a .bmp image and not an .exe game
Does the game rely on "innovative" gameplay elements such as Blocks, guns, etc... and maybe even combines them? ---> Propably has some of the proven defining qualities of massivly successful games

Does the game has serious Programmers, innovative gameplay and realistic goals and its own flair? ---> Propably going to be a good game.
Fix'd

Last edited by Qon; Jul 6, 2014 @ 1:20pm
Siphu Jul 9, 2014 @ 1:31am 
this... explains so much!
Cpt. Carolina Jul 9, 2014 @ 7:18am 
My opinion on Greenlight will form as soon as the next batch of geenlight games are out. If rock simulator gets through while some of the other great games get passed over... ugh.
Xiooo Jul 9, 2014 @ 7:33am 
Originally posted by mazman:
My opinion on Greenlight will form as soon as the next batch of geenlight games are out. If rock simulator gets through while some of the other great games get passed over... ugh.

Just like Goat simulator. People are so broken, they pay to get a bunch of bugs.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 43 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 5, 2014 @ 5:32am