Left 4 Dead 2

Your own custom apocalypse
Discover and download new maps, Add-ons, Mutations and more! Want to try your hand at modding or want to upload your mod to Steam? Click here to learn more.
Minion Jul 18 @ 5:55pm
Looking for mod that removes L4D2 infected only
Hi. A while back I came across a mod that removed the newer L4d2 specials, and only had the ones from the original. It might have also made a few other tweaks.

Problem is with all the constant releases in the workshop, I can't find it again.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Last edited by Minion; Jul 18 @ 5:56pm
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Knappy 60 Jul 18 @ 6:31pm 
Have you referenced other mod sites such as gamebanana or l4dmaps?
Minion Jul 19 @ 7:39am 
I haven't asked the question there, but yes. I was browsing through their lists looking for it. I do distinctly remember seeing it on the workshop though.
Last edited by Minion; Jul 19 @ 7:39am
[linux] sophia hapgood Jul 19 @ 12:44pm 
Off the top of my head....

z_spitter_limit 0
z_charger_limit 0
z_jockey_limit 0

maybe?
Knappy 60 Jul 19 @ 1:47pm 
Originally posted by sophia:

z_spitter_limit 0
z_charger_limit 0
z_jockey_limit 0

maybe?
This only removes the spawn of the SI, not replace their models. Using those cvars would cease the spawning of the Siptter, Charger, and Jockey, but leave the Hunter, Boomer and Witch to spawn according to the game director.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 19 @ 1:48pm
[linux] sophia hapgood Jul 19 @ 3:16pm 
Originally posted by Knappy:
Originally posted by sophia:

z_spitter_limit 0
z_charger_limit 0
z_jockey_limit 0

maybe?
This only removes the spawn of the SI, not replace their models. Using those cvars would cease the spawning of the Siptter, Charger, and Jockey, but leave the Hunter, Boomer and Witch to spawn according to the game director.

Well yeah, that's what OP was talking about, removing the L4D2 special infected. Hunter, boomers, and smokers are still from L4D1. If you remove those spawns, there would only be the l4d guys.
Knappy 60 Jul 19 @ 5:59pm 
Note, these are cvars, which is nothing a workshop mod is capable of executing. If the OP seeks to eliminate the SI, they would need to:
  • Have their own server or listen server
  • Add said cvars to said server.cfg or SM plugin with plugin.cfg
  • Set values accordingly
Thus a Workshop mod is not able to modify cfg files, only content such as models, skins and sounds. Cvars are manipulated through the console, which in this case would be the server.cfg or SourceMod plugin as I know such a plugin exists to modify the spawn timer of the SI or the admin can choose to eliminate all of them (or just specific ones) through the plugin cfg[forums.alliedmods.net].

It is possible to make the models invisible via a mod, but that does not take away their ability to pounce you from out of nowhere because you can not see them.So, there are two options, the cvar (server.cfg):
sm_cvar z_versus_smoker_limit 1
sm_cvar z_versus_boomer_limit 1
sm_cvar z_versus_hunter_limit 1
sm_cvar z_versus_jockey_limit 0
sm_cvar z_versus_spitter_limit 0
sm_cvar z_versus_charger_limit 0

It may be possible to do this via autoexec.cfg for a SP game, but I highly doubt it and it wouldn't work on SRCDS servers as those server cvar's can not be manipulated unless you are either the owner or admin.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 19 @ 6:05pm
[linux] sophia hapgood Jul 19 @ 10:45pm 
No, you can use your own cvars for single player and local servers. It's been a long time since I've used local servers so I don't quite remember how, but there are default configs you can use to give yourself the changed settings.

A workshop mod would be the same thing, after all; some changed default configs that would affect any local hosts that they are enabled on. There's definitely a mod or mutation for it already, though.

Off the top of my head, the Super Hordes mod is an example of a server mod that's from the workshop.
AlwaysToast 33 Jul 20 @ 10:10am 
Here, I made up this mutation to solve your problem Middle School. No L4D2 infected, no other changes.

Knappy: You know a lot of stuff, but clearly you don’t know what you can do with mutations, or how easy it is. You can change special spawning with both vscrips and cvars, and you can modify both with mutations. There are only certain cvars which are server side, that you can't use with mutation scripts.
Last edited by AlwaysToast; Jul 20 @ 10:10am
Minion Jul 20 @ 11:04am 
Originally posted by AlwaysToast:
Here, I made up this mutation to solve your problem Middle School. No L4D2 infected, no other changes.

Awesome. Thank you!
Knappy 60 Jul 20 @ 2:57pm 
Originally posted by AlwaysToast:

Knappy: You know a lot of stuff, but clearly you don’t know what you can do with mutations, or how easy it is. You can change special spawning with both vscrips and cvars, and you can modify both with mutations. There are only certain cvars which are server side, that you can't use with mutation scripts.
I was under the impression this request was for a co-op campaign/SP mod, not a mutation. The mutation system was implemented between my time starting L4D2 in 2009 and 2011. I have no knowledge of mutation nor intend to learn on them. However, nice work on resolving this issue.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 20 @ 3:01pm
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50