Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
SkullKiddo Jul 21 @ 7:09pm
[SOLVED] Question about representing game developers on greenlight.
Hi, my question is this.

If I were to pay the greenlight submission fee, and offer to represent people just to allow them to submit their games, would that be allowed? Additionally, do you think that people would be interested in that? I would not be looking to make money or any other kind of gain from this, but as I said before to be an outlet to where people could submit their games.

The store page for the submission fee says this as one of the guidelines,
"You own the rights to sell the game you are posting, or you have specific authorization to represent the developer"
but I don't think they had in mind what I'm suggesting when they wrote that.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you for reading.
Last edited by SkullKiddo; Jul 23 @ 12:04pm
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
wilco64256 Jul 21 @ 7:28pm 
And why would you want to be doing this? Is there some particular reason people can't just do it themselves? What benefit would they gain by having you take on that responsibility on their behalf? It basically puts you in the position of publisher.
SkullKiddo Jul 21 @ 7:43pm 
Originally posted by wilco64256:
And why would you want to be doing this? Is there some particular reason people can't just do it themselves? What benefit would they gain by having you take on that responsibility on their behalf? It basically puts you in the position of publisher.

There is a hundred dollar fee to be able to submit games on greenlight, I would just pay for it. My hope is it would offer an opportunity to people who otherwise wouldn't have the means to submit their games, to do so. I would of course review the games to ensure they followed the greenlight guidelines, but otherwise it would be open to everyone and I would not expect anything in return.

Additionally, I do know of a couple good ways to help develepers get their games greenlit, and would be more then willing to assist in that way as well.
Last edited by SkullKiddo; Jul 21 @ 7:51pm
wilco64256 Jul 21 @ 7:55pm 
If somebody is incapable of scrapping together the $100 fee for entry on Greenlight, then perhaps they aren't ready for this level of game development.
SkullKiddo Jul 21 @ 8:07pm 
If somebody is incapable of scrapping together the $100 fee for entry on Greenlight, then perhaps they aren't ready for this level of game development.

Perhaps. I do understand what you're saying, and hadn't thought about it that way before. That's why I'm suggesting it here, to get feedback like that. Maybe someone can prove to be capable however.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 21 @ 9:47pm 
THis puts anyone using your services in a very unfavourable situation. I rather doubt anyone would be interested in your idea unless you take on the full responsibilities of a publisher instead of being a cheap go between that could potentially rob them blind.
SkullKiddo Jul 21 @ 10:29pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
THis puts anyone using your services in a very unfavourable situation. I rather doubt anyone would be interested in your idea unless you take on the full responsibilities of a publisher instead of being a cheap go between that could potentially rob them blind.

That is a good point, that would require a great deal of trust from the developer, and a good deal of responsibility on my part, but is there no way to ensure the money goes straight to the developer and doesn't cross my hands first? Rather, to be able to choose who the profits are distributed to on the development team?
Skoardy Jul 22 @ 4:09am 
It seems to me that the fee serves a purpose and apart from the added complexity and possible issues down the line that your proposal might cause, it is at its root (albeit not intentionally malicious), an attempt to circumvent those purposes.
rubinho_x3 Jul 22 @ 4:46am 
ok
wilco64256 Jul 22 @ 6:00am 
Originally posted by Skull SV:
That is a good point, that would require a great deal of trust from the developer, and a good deal of responsibility on my part, but is there no way to ensure the money goes straight to the developer and doesn't cross my hands first? Rather, to be able to choose who the profits are distributed to on the development team?

Nope, there's not. If you host their game on Greenlight, once it passes through it becomes your responsibility to set it up for the store itself under your own account and tied to all of your own financial data. Which is why you're basically taking on a publishing role at that point.
SkullKiddo Jul 23 @ 9:39am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
It seems to me that the fee serves a purpose and apart from the added complexity and possible issues down the line that your proposal might cause, it is at its root (albeit not intentionally malicious), an attempt to circumvent those purposes.

I see what you're saying, that's one of the reasons I made this thread because, while I don't believe what I'm suggesting is disallowed, I think it is, as you said, circumventing the purposes of greenlights fee. Even though I would have my own screening process to ensure the games did follow the guidelines, I wouldn't want to run into any trouble down the line.

Nope, there's not. If you host their game on Greenlight, once it passes through it becomes your responsibility to set it up for the store itself under your own account and tied to all of your own financial data. Which is why you're basically taking on a publishing role at that point.

While this is something I believe I could handle, I'd understand the hesitation from developers.

Originally posted by ColeyWoley:
Simple advice on getting your game Greenlit would be invaluable, probably worth much more than the $100 fee.
I'm not sure how this is relevant to the thread. noone is really offering "simple advice" in exchange for money.

I think he might have been refering to how I said in my first reply, at the end:

"Additionally, I do know of a couple good ways to help develepers get their games greenlit, and would be more then willing to assist in that way as well."

I believe he was just saying the advice would be of more value then the $100 dollar greenlight fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to ask around a little bit more in other places to see if there is any interest from developers, I will report here with my findings.

Meanwhile, feel free to continue to discuss the idea here. I appreciate all the feedback.
Last edited by SkullKiddo; Jul 23 @ 9:41am
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 23 @ 10:16am 

I'm not sure how this is relevant to the thread. noone is really offering "simple advice" in exchange for money.

I think he might have been refering to how I said in my first reply, at the end:

"Additionally, I do know of a couple good ways to help develepers get their games greenlit, and would be more then willing to assist in that way as well."

I believe he was just saying the advice would be of more value then the $100 dollar greenlight fee.
Ah ofc. I missed that.

C0untzer0 Jul 23 @ 11:05am 
Somebody tried it before. They were banned within 48 hours of posting. By all means try, you may beat that record.
SkullKiddo Jul 23 @ 11:19am 
Originally posted by C0untzer0:
Somebody tried it before. They were banned within 48 hours of posting. By all means try, you may beat that record.

Tried specifically what before? What I'm suggesting? I don't understand what they would have been banned for as theres nothing against it from what I can see. In fact it specifically states you are able to represent developers in the guidelines. If you could provide anything to back that up such as the users original post or perhaps a guideline/rule I overlooked, it would be very much appreciated and the the discussion would end there.
Last edited by SkullKiddo; Jul 23 @ 11:21am
C0untzer0 Jul 23 @ 11:27am 
Obviously the original post has been deleted, and Valve has a policy of not discussing the specifics of their moderating/curating actions.
wilco64256 Jul 23 @ 11:36am 
Does it really need to be explicitly written somewhere that they don't want people trying to cheat their system? I would think that's fairly obvious.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 21 @ 7:09pm