Left 4 Dead 2
Your own custom apocalypse
Discover and download new maps, Add-ons, Mutations and more! Want to try your hand at modding or want to upload your mod to Steam? Click here to learn more.
A Pixelated Christmas Jul 29 @ 1:51pm
Error Code 2 PLEASE HALP
I'm trying to upload a mod from the l4d2 workshop manager and I keep getting 'Failed to upload! Error code: 2' The file im uploading is a vpk so I dont know whats wrong. HALP
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Knappy 60 Jul 29 @ 3:19pm 
Close Steam entirely and restart the Steam.exe process. Attempt to upload the mod again. If the issue persists it could be an error on the Steam side however I am not experiencing any issues. Report your findings.
A Pixelated Christmas Jul 29 @ 3:57pm 
Well, I ended the process via Control Panel and when I try and upload it again, no luck. I'm using the workshop manager to do this btw.
Last edited by A Pixelated Christmas; Jul 29 @ 3:57pm
Knappy 60 Jul 29 @ 4:27pm 
I can't locate any specific information regarding an Error Code 2 in the Workshop. Possibly the file structure isn't right but if the file is .vpk it should upload regardless. Verify the file/folder structure is correct and the addoninfo.txt is included and try repacking it with the vpk.exe and then attempt to upload the new/repacked vpk.
Last edited by Knappy; Jul 29 @ 4:27pm
A Pixelated Christmas Jul 29 @ 7:36pm 
what do you mean 'it should upload reguardless'
Knappy 60 Jul 29 @ 7:44pm 
If the file structure is not correct within the .vpk it will upload anyway. Meaning there is no "check" to verify the files are intact. I could load a .jpg of Barney, pack it into a .vpk and upload it to the workshop. Aside from that point, did you try rebuilding the .vpk and re-uploading it?
Knappy 60 Aug 1 @ 6:46pm 
Status report on this issue?
A Pixelated Christmas Aug 2 @ 12:54am 
Sorry, been on vacation. I'm trying now.
A Pixelated Christmas Aug 2 @ 1:01am 
Originally posted by Knappy:
Status report on this issue?
Ok I dropped the mod file into the vpk.exe and got the vpk and tried uploading it. No such luck. Still have error code 2. Does the description and other stuff in the addoninfo.txt have to be the same when uploading from the workshop manager app?
A Pixelated Christmas Aug 2 @ 1:05am 
http://imgur.com/Q0xhfoD Thats what it looks like if it helps. Sorry about the background :P
Knappy 60 Aug 2 @ 7:21am 
I believe the problem is the vpk file name. As a general rule of thumb you don't want to use spaces in the filename, but if you do you would use_spaces_with_underscores.
half_minute_hero_desperate_strike_tank_song.vpk
Also, the length of the .vpk file name could be an issue also, since you are uploading this as a workshop mods, clients that subscribe it will have it places in their workshop folder with a random number generated as the addon ID, see this[www.dropbox.com] You may want to shorten the file name since the client won't see the file with that name anyway:
half_minute_hero_tank.vpk
or
halfminuteherotank.vpk

Try that first and report your findings.
A Pixelated Christmas Aug 2 @ 11:25am 
http://imgur.com/5SpIUBv I changed it to halfminuteherotank.vpk and tryed again. Nope. :\
Knappy 60 Aug 2 @ 4:02pm 
I had this issue today with a mod and resolved it by renaming the mod completely to a different name. I also attached/uploaded the .vpk from my desktop but the title wasn't as lengthy as yours: Half Minute Hero Desperate Strike Tank Music

This shouldn't matter but try uploading the .vpk to the workshop manager from a directory like your desktop or the root of your hard drive. Change the name of the mod to "herotank.vpk" and if that fails shorten the name of the mod in the Workshop Manager.

Try a shorter title, you can always edit the title after it uploads:
"Half Minute Tank Music" for upload then change should it successfully upload. If that fails then there must be something wrong with the file structure which I would be more than happy to look at if you add me so we can exchange contact info.
Last edited by Knappy; Aug 2 @ 4:03pm
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 29 @ 1:51pm