The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
gschultz Jul 26 @ 10:50am
Mod installer confusion.
Mod sources (Workshop, Nexus, etc.) seem to have several "helper" programs like SKSE, BOSS, and others. Does each source require the use of its own helper program? If I downlaod one from Steam and one from Nexus, will the mods, potentially, not be put in correct order?
I'm not a modder, so I just want to automate the process as much as possible and have a choice of sources for mods. Can you advise me?
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
jjb-54 1 Jul 26 @ 5:18pm 
SKSE - is a Skyrim Game Launcher that you use to Launch Skyrim - if you have mods that require SKSE - The mod forum will state this.

BOSS - is a MOD Organizer that you use before you launch Skyrim to help make MODS function better by being in a better load order. ( But it is NOT full proof and you may still need to manual tweak the mods to work right. )

Basically READ the Mod Forum requirements, the mod creators do a very good job at making requirements known.
troylights Jul 28 @ 5:19am 
Don't use BOSS. Use LOOT instead for setting up load order. Workshop items must be loaded at least once via the Steam Skyrim Launcher, but after that you exit the launcher and use LOOT to check your load order. By that I mean that any time you add a Workshop mod, run the launcher. After that you only need the launcher every so often to check for updates.

If you use Nexus Mod Manager to install, then use LOOT to check your load order. Manually installing is not recommended except for custom textures. Finally, after you've set load order in LOOT, launch the game (with Steam open) using SkSE. It seems complicated, but once you get it set up, it's pretty straightforward.
Last edited by troylights; Jul 28 @ 5:21am
gschultz Aug 5 @ 11:24pm 
Thanks, very helpful clarification.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 26 @ 10:50am