Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Proloe Jul 26 @ 8:04am
Greenlight concepts broken?
Hello. I'm attempting to create an entry on Greenlight concepts, but I'm having an issue. After entering the title and description, and completely filling out the first page, I click save and continue, but it leads me to an error message saying:
That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author.
I have heard some people suggest that this problem will resolve itself if I wait, but I'm not in a position to wait for very long. Does anyone know what causes this error and what, if anything, I can do about it?
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
wilco64256 Jul 26 @ 8:19am 
You're not in a position to wait very long? To post something in the concepts section? That just doesn't make any sense. Why would you need to be in a huge rush to post something in concepts?
Proloe Jul 26 @ 8:25am 
That's not entirely helpful, but marketing, mostly. The game is moving forwards at a rapid pace, and while it's still at concept stage now, the timeframe we're looking at to have something functional is weeks. We need as long as possible on Greenlight concepts to raise awareness for the project.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 26 @ 12:16pm 
"Something functional" is that the same as "ready for release" or "ready for greenlight proper"??

I'm not sure the concepts page is really going to raise that much awareness. but good luck all the same.
Proloe Jul 26 @ 12:26pm 
It means ready for Greenlight proper. This will not be my only source of marketing, but it helps to have a base on a pre-established system that I can direct people to for information. Greenlight Concepts can provide that. In any case, this isn't really relevant to my question - I can't submit to Greenlight. Is there something I can do about that, or is my only choice to wait?
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 26 @ 12:31pm 
You could allways contact Steam support.

I have no idea what you meant with "pre-established system" ? Do you have a website? Because I think you are grossly overestimating the usefulness of greenlight concepts. Especially if you are only going to be using the concept section for a few weeks before making a greenlight proper page.
Proloe Jul 27 @ 3:36am 
I mean a system that isn't my website, because regardless of whether that's any good or not, it's useless without any visitors. Regardless, this is totally unrelated conversation to the problem, which has actually been resolved now.

For anyone else who has this problem, it's on Valve's end, and the solution is simply to wait a few hours.
Cleril Jul 27 @ 11:35am 
From one dev to another I found the pre-actual-Greenlight showcase that is the Concept section to be rather pointless.

One week in concept section - 250ish views

First day in the games section - 6,000+ views
Skoardy Jul 27 @ 1:45pm 
Originally posted by Cleril:
From one dev to another I found the pre-actual-Greenlight showcase that is the Concept section to be rather pointless.

One week in concept section - 250ish views

First day in the games section - 6,000+ views
I can't say I'm surprised. Lack of moderation has led to it being wall-to-wall fake/troll/spam pages. I feel sorry for the real devs who put their initial projects in there hopefully expecting to 'build a community' for their game.

It wouldn't take much for Valve to keep on top of that section and redeem it but it doesn't look like they can be bothered.
Proloe Jul 27 @ 1:48pm 
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think Greenlight will be some magical place where everyone will find and love my game, but I'm treating it as an important place to showcase it, since it's where it will (hopefully) eventually be released, while the majority of my marketing will be other avenues directing (often indirectly) to the Greenlight page.
C0untzer0 Jul 27 @ 1:54pm 
You'll be lucky to spend 2 days on the front page of the concept section before being pushed off it by the oh-so-original simulator simulators.
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 27 @ 2:51pm 
Originally posted by Proloe:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think Greenlight will be some magical place where everyone will find and love my game, but I'm treating it as an important place to showcase it, since it's where it will (hopefully) eventually be released, while the majority of my marketing will be other avenues directing (often indirectly) to the Greenlight page.
you know the concept and the greenlight proper pages are different things right? Your concept page will not carry over to Greenlight proper.
Proloe Jul 27 @ 2:57pm 
I'm also aware of that. Swapping out the links when we make the changeover will not be hard, but concepts will do for now, since we don't have enough content to show on Greenlight proper. Like I say, it's a place it can be showcased. That's what Greenlight is for, and that's what I'm using it for. I'm not sure why people seem to have trouble understanding that.
Last edited by Proloe; Jul 27 @ 2:58pm
Gorlom[Swe] Jul 27 @ 3:42pm 
I was mostly confused about the rush to get greenlight concepts up and running. You seemed very desperate to get it up asap.
Maybe this is just a misunderstanding caused by an assumption on my part. How long did you expect the wait to be when you made this topic? Did you expect it to be more than a few hours? Did you expect it to be a week or what?

This percieved desperation lead me to belive that you vastly overestimated greenlight concepts.
(at the same time I might be underestimateing greenlight concepts because I belive it will be of absolutely no use to you at all. I just don't see a point to it when you expect to make a proper greenlgiht page shortly.)

(PS: On a side note I imagine that it might cost you some impulse votes if people with no patience discovers your game when you only have a concept page and need to come back to it later. But these will most likely be so few that it does not matter. Just a personal pondering)
Proloe Jul 27 @ 3:51pm 
I was mostly concerned whether it would be hours or days. There were plans for release in various places at various times (which have all now passed without incident and with a successful release, thankfully), and having to push back one would have messed with the way the platforms connect together. It's somewhat complex, but not as urgent as it might have sounded. I'm aware that Greenlight Concepts is not a magical device for getting things out there. It is more a device for testing the waters. It's one of many ways of receiving early feedback before spending too much of the budget. So far, though, the feedback has been largely positive, though we'll need more time to see anything conclusive.
Cleril Jul 27 @ 4:19pm 
Originally posted by Proloe:
I was mostly concerned whether it would be hours or days. There were plans for release in various places at various times (which have all now passed without incident and with a successful release, thankfully), and having to push back one would have messed with the way the platforms connect together. It's somewhat complex, but not as urgent as it might have sounded. I'm aware that Greenlight Concepts is not a magical device for getting things out there. It is more a device for testing the waters. It's one of many ways of receiving early feedback before spending too much of the budget. So far, though, the feedback has been largely positive, though we'll need more time to see anything conclusive.

The feedback you get from the concept section is absolutely minimal and practically useless in determining how it will do in the game section.

Frankly, unless your game is some hyped up zombie open world sort of thing you're going to have a massive no:yes vote ratio gap.

Usually it starts to slowly get mitigated as you get your game out to the media and then you find your actual audience.

For me Greenlight has been disappointing.

There's a filter for games to get through but no filter for the "community" meaning it's youtube-tier comments mostly.

If you want constructive feedback you're better off getting testers.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 26 @ 8:04am
Posts: 18