Steam Greenlight
Kayabit 22 jul, 2014 @ 17:53
Identify users who Vote "Yes" for a game
UPDATE:

Hey everyone, just want to clear up we were NEVER planning on doing this for all users. The game is doing great on it's on (over 300 comments and in the top 100). We had a steam group wanting to do a promotion and asked if we could give steam keys out as a contest for their group.

Our web developer (who had no clue what we were doing with the steam API, he is just in charge of the technical aspect) posted here thinking it was a technical forum.

Sorry for the confusion and while I personally don't think doing limited contests for promotion is an issue, I totally agree giving ANYONE who votes a steam key would be unscrupulous and we would never do that.

Senast ändrad av Kayabit; 23 jul, 2014 @ 13:07
< >
Visar 1-15 av 22 kommentarer
Gorlom[Swe] 22 jul, 2014 @ 18:09 
I find what you are trying to do to be appaling. To try to get greenlit by appealing to Steam users greed and desire for free things (whether they are interested in the product or not they will stil lwant free stuff) rather than on your own merits is despicable and should be frowned upon. (luckily for people like you Valve does not seem to mind that you try to circumvent/sabotage their system and won't bann you for it. T_T )

This is not a thank you or reward or whatever you might say. Such marketing "strategies" are straight up bribery.

I say this as someone that has voted no on your game but would very much take advantage of an opourtunity to get a free copy of your game.
Senast ändrad av Gorlom[Swe]; 22 jul, 2014 @ 18:11
Skoardy 22 jul, 2014 @ 18:29 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Kayabit:
We want to offer free keys to the users who will vote "Yes" to our game.
I believe this defeats the point of Greenlight and that devs who utilise such a method are scum. Just saying.
Salty Tears 22 jul, 2014 @ 23:42 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Kayabit:
Hi,
We want to offer free keys to the users who will vote "Yes" to our game.
Everyone needs to go to this scums page and vote no
fireryone 23 jul, 2014 @ 2:55 
I vote no. Keep rewards to where they already are, preorders, kickstarter and indigogo. you don't deserve to buy votes to get on steam.
fireryone 23 jul, 2014 @ 4:15 
I'm not claiming it to be my decision,
This is an open forum that anyone here can discuss their opinion on the topic posted.
That was mine and you have yours. :)
Pantheon 23 jul, 2014 @ 4:42 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Tatsuya Hiroki:
Devs can use whatever tool they wish to use
And users can tell them what they think about it. Easy as that.
It usually tells a lot about a game if devs need to resort to bribery.
If the game isn't good enough to get through without resorting to whoring itself out for votes, I'm not inclined to desire a copy.
Skoardy 23 jul, 2014 @ 5:05 
Devs can use whatever tool they wish to use, its quite none of your business
Actively circumventing the whole purpose of Greenlight is rather stupid, don't you think? It means any trash can get on Steam (because people always love 'free' no matter what junk it's for). I can understand why people find it appealing from their purely selfish perspective (both users and devs alike) but it's a bad move for Greenlight and Steam.
Senast ändrad av Skoardy; 23 jul, 2014 @ 5:05
C0untzer0 23 jul, 2014 @ 5:08 
Not to mention the fate of the last project somebody posted to do exactly what the OP is proposing.
Gorlom[Swe] 23 jul, 2014 @ 5:25 
Ursprungligen skrivet av C0untzer0:
Not to mention the fate of the last project somebody posted to do exactly what the OP is proposing.
oh? what happened to that? I don't recall hearing about anything ever happening to such projects?
Skoardy 23 jul, 2014 @ 5:40 
If these devs thought for a second they could get their game through on its own merits alone, they wouldn't lose money on giving away keys. It's simply a way to get through Greenlight without having to achieve votes legitimately. The devs want to sell their game on Steam and side-step Greenlight. It's purely selfish. The voters just want free games and don't care that they'll be sending trash through Greenlight. It's purely selfish.

Don't throw the word 'marketing' around like it disguises or sanitises what this particular process actually does.
Gorlom[Swe] 23 jul, 2014 @ 6:09 
Skoardy: Yeah cause without it GL would be magically oh so better, hm?
Its all about marketing, not about selfishness.
nononono. marketing would be giving it away for free without trying (whether you manage to do it for real or simply imply it) to tie it to how people vote on greenlight. This is not "marketing" as such, it's exploitation.
Most ppl dont understand that GL was always a f popularity contest, be it with free keys or huge advertising
Removing those projects would have ZERO effect whatsoever I can tell you right now.
Also not all these games are rubbish in fact many promo games were more decent than so called AAA titles
Imo it's fine if you offer the game for free somewhere outside of Steam and Greenlight.. I find it detestable if you use it as a bribe to get yes votes you couldn't gather otherwise.
wilco64256 23 jul, 2014 @ 6:16 
So to sum up the OP - "I don't have confidence that my game can be Greenlit on its own merits as a quality game, so I feel the need to bribe people into voting for it."

Yeah, no. If you don't even think your own game is good enough to be Greenlit, then why in the world should people trust that you have any idea what you're doing or that you can put out a good product.
Gorlom[Swe] 23 jul, 2014 @ 6:28 
Gorlom[Swe]: And what about Goromin: A monstrous Adventure? That game would be sold like hotcakes either and yet they are doing a promo for it
What about it? They are still detestable for doing it regardless if you feel they would be successfull without it. Which part of bribery do you not understand? Which part of "If they want to offer their game as free it should not be done in exchange for votes" is difficult to comprehend?
So where we were at the subject of votes they wouldnt have gathered otherwise?
So that you feel one project would succeed even without resorting to bribery somehow justifies the whole bribery practice (despite being an effort to circumvent the system and exploit peoples greed for free stuff)? I find the whole thing to be imoral and poorly designed.
You keep repeating "Promo"... Why not use a promo instead, why the bribery?
Alexandre FROTA 23 jul, 2014 @ 11:46 
thx for atention ;)
< >
Visar 1-15 av 22 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 22 jul, 2014 @ 17:53