Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Slyceth Aug 31, 2014 @ 8:40am
Adding a game to Greenlight who's company doesn't exist anymore...
There is a game called Atmosphir which is truly amazing and not too old, but the company behind it, Minor Studios doesn't exist anymore. This game (game-like game designer) doesn't have any copyright anymore, but that also means that nobody gets to play it. There is a fan site that hosts the game installer executable, but that's the only way to get it, and you can't use the online features. I bring by this the idea to bring this game to steam, host it here. I don't need to get any revenue from it, I just want this game to be brought to people's attention, online mode playable, and because it is an unique one, something that pretty much doesn't have any game that looks like it, but deserves a good come-back (although it never got too much attention due to bad marketing) The company got bankrupt because of, i quote from wikipedia, 'bad choices of the CEO'.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Skoardy Aug 31, 2014 @ 9:15am 
Somebody will still own the rights to the game, either privately or as part of a company. Unless that fan site contacted whoever took control / bought the rights when the original holders went under, that they've no rights to distribute the game (and so neither would you or Valve).

The only way this could happen is to follow the trail, contacts whoever was involved and find out what happened. Valve won't do this for you.
Slyceth Aug 31, 2014 @ 9:18am 
The fan site pretty much took control of the game servers, and the company fell apart as well as the owner who gave the entire thing up. Both the company's website and the original game's website are down. All there is left is for Valve to pick the game up where it lies now. The fan community is behind that idea.
Skoardy Aug 31, 2014 @ 9:20am 
Originally posted by IncaWarrior:
All there is left is for Valve to pick the game up where it lies now. The fan community is behind that idea.
That's a shame then because it's not what Valve do and they wouldn't add a game anyway unless it was submitted by whoever currently owns the rights (and not just some eager but random fans).
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 31, 2014 @ 10:18am 
Originally posted by IncaWarrior:
The fan site pretty much took control of the game servers, and the company fell apart as well as the owner who gave the entire thing up. Both the company's website and the original game's website are down. All there is left is for Valve to pick the game up where it lies now. The fan community is behind that idea.
That sounds strange. Intellectuall property is worth money and isn't just abandoned when a company files for bankrupcy.

As I understand it it is usually whoever the company owed money to (probably a bank) that will have gotten ownership of the IP and copyright and tried to sell it to anyone interested. If noone was interested enough they will have keept it for themselves.

This means that if the bank or whoever owns it suddenly finds out someone else is makeing money off their property (even if they are not interested in doing it themselves) they will either send a cease and desist or file a lawsuit.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 31, 2014 @ 10:18am
Black Blade Aug 31, 2014 @ 10:48am 
So in other words, i think you better try to connect who ever you can and find out what happen to the rights
Over all i do know a old game that one of the Dev buy the rights off and later remade a second game of it, the point is the rights are some were, you better try to look and search who is the owner of them at these time
wilco64256 Aug 31, 2014 @ 11:41am 
Even when a company goes bankrupt the company still exists, and still owns the rights to property they created, unless they sold them to someone else or released them into the public domain. You would need to contact the original owners of the company and find out. That's not something Valve would ever do.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 31, 2014 @ 8:40am