Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
ozz_brown Aug 28 @ 7:18pm
What kind of Content is not allowed in a Submited game?
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but my online searches didn't turn up anything. I'm working on a game that is designed to be for adults (adult themed, not a sex game) and I'm wondering if it would be a good match for steam. The Witcher 2 is similar to what I'm doing in terms of content and it being on Steam makes me think Steam is the way to go. So in a nutshell: What content is out of bounds? Is there a list or FAQ I could look at?
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Black Blade Aug 29 @ 7:40am 
To be honest i do not think there is, you will just have to mark it as a 18+ game on the store page, but over all i think that is abut it
wilco64256 Aug 29 @ 9:14am 
If it would be rated AO by the ESRB, then you probably wouldn't be able to get it on Steam.
ozz_brown Aug 29 @ 10:29am 
M vs AO tends to be hard to predict since most of what makes a game M is the same that makes it AO, but here's the jist: It's based around the Celts as they fight for survival against the Saxons, Vikings and the Romans in the period where the Bronze Age meets the Iron Age. So there is going to be Violence and some Gore, no sex really, but since it's the Celts, some of them do fight Naked. It's actually part of a balancing armor system I designed (Flesh, Bone and Iron). Iron armor reduces most of the damage you take, Bone (& Leather) gives you more hit points and Flesh lets you auto Dodge and Heal Faster (no infection from little bits of armor in your wounds). It's basically a choose your own protection high defense, high HP or Regeneration.
amerk Aug 29 @ 10:56am 
It's really up in the air, and I don't think anybody here will be qualified to give you a definite answer, since Valve is the one to make final decisions. Worse case scenario:

You pay the submission fee, you get it on GL, you get enough votes to get Valve's attention, and then Valve declines to approve it for whatever reason.

To be honest, I don't see a lot of AO games getting through GL. Of course, I've been rather late to the party until recent months, so maybe I just missed out on those kind of games. But I do see them in the store from time to time (not sexual ones, of course, but dark, gritty and violent games like Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto).

If those kind of games can wind up in the store, a particularly violent indie game shouldn't be the exception. But a lot of the ones on Steam have come from AAA sources who don't have to go through GL, and that's probably where the main difference comes into play. A Triple-A game that has proven ties with Steam in the past and can skirt around GL rules will probably have less backlash, scrutiny, and requirements than one that has to go through GL and is being voted up by the masses.

Even if it gets enough votes, Valve still has to decide if the potential profits are worth the potential risks, and make a final decision.
Last edited by amerk; Aug 29 @ 11:03am
ozz_brown Aug 29 @ 12:06pm 
On the one hand well worded rules are convent to follow, "inappropriate or offensive content" is so vague as to be utterly meaningless, In the end I can't help but feel like it's down to a whim. On the other hand hard rules with no wiggle room removes human judgment entirely, which is equally distasteful to me. And on the mutated third hand I hate any form of censorship that implies even adult needs their art filtered for content that makes us think too hard or feel new things. Everything's offensive to some one, I'd even go so far as to say there is value in being offended, not all art is pleasant and inert.

I guess I would prefer to label it as a game intend for adults and not be rejected as too Adult.
Last edited by ozz_brown; Aug 29 @ 12:09pm
Erretter Aug 29 @ 1:26pm 
Blood, gore, babys torn to pieces, humour about violence, killing jews and black people with gas.

All this is allowed.

But if you show a female nipple...
ALL HELL AND ANGER OF THE ALLMIGHTY SHALL RAING UPON YOU!!!!!
I DARE YOU SHOW A NIPPLE ON STEAM!!!! (oh this rule does not apply if you have a multi million publisher at your side.)
Skoardy Aug 29 @ 1:53pm 
Since the same 'insights' are being repeated, couldn't this just have been a few extra posts on the nudity thread?
AusSkiller Aug 29 @ 4:23pm 
Originally posted by amerk:
You pay the submission fee, you get it on GL, you get enough votes to get Valve's attention, and then Valve declines to approve it for whatever reason.
I think they'd be more likely to just tell you what you need to change for them to accept it in that situation, I'd be surprised if they actually refused to approve it.
ozz_brown Aug 29 @ 4:35pm 
I thought of doing that, but the truth is that Nudity, while being a part of my game's art and one mechanic, is not the main point of engagement. It is first and foremost a war game with exploration elements coming in a close second. Combat means Violence and, in many cases, Gore (even if it's just zombies).

Though since first posting I've noticed that the Mortal Kombat(2012) is available, as a result I'm less concerned now. While I have some Eldritch abominations and death scenes it's nothing that approaches that game. Not that I have a problem with MK, I rather like the series, but I subscribe to the school of the less you see the more disturbing it is.

Originally posted by AusSkiller:
I think they'd be more likely to just tell you what you need to change for them to accept it in that situation, I'd be surprised if they actually refused to approve it.

I would be amenable to that.
Last edited by ozz_brown; Aug 29 @ 6:56pm
amerk Aug 29 @ 7:52pm 
Very true, but if their idea to have the developer fix it is to remove anything they deem questionable, it might just ruin what the game was intended to be.

Really, though, nobody knows. Best advice, if you think it merits enough worth, pay the fee to get it on GL and let the voting process go through. Once you get enough votes, see if you're approved or not. If you are, nothing to worry about, and this topic can be laid to rest. If not approved, ask them why and you'll hopefully have your answer.

As far as the rule being vague, a lot of things Valve does is vague. I imagine it allows them more flexibility in making decisions, without being confined to a set guideline.
Last edited by amerk; Aug 29 @ 7:52pm
ozz_brown Aug 29 @ 8:28pm 
The game isn't done yet, I'm not about to make a 40+ hour game without some idea of how I'm going to get it out there(that said I have been working on it, because I'm stupid like that).

Right now when I want to publish a web game it's pretty simple, this is not. So before I transition from the web games I have been making to a full length title I would like to know as much about my options as possible. I was hoping for Steam because, well I like Steam, nothing bad about it... except maybe the bits I know nothing about. Like GL for example, just getting the lay of the land. Hoping it'll be good too, but vagueness makes me nervous, especially referencing the ESRB as a standard. Fun Fact: the ESRB at it's core is a haft dozen people of varying levels of even liking video games basically applying a rating based on... who knows. I mean that sincerely, this is from their web site:

MATURE
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

ADULTS ONLY
Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up. May include prolonged scenes of intense violence, graphic sexual content and/or gambling with real currency.

Baring that bit about gambling, which they can't actually regulate, that's not a lot of difference, in a practical sense. It really just amounts to the single year of human aging. I'm not trying to accusing any one of bias, but a lot of the time it does end up feeling like a game got a T instead of a M or a M instead of an AO for undefinable reasons. I dare call it one of the great mysterious of gaming. So you can understand that I reeeealy hope I don't have to go through the ESRB to get my game rated.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 28 @ 7:18pm