Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Batman Aug 25 @ 8:45pm
If I was in Gaben's shoes...
I would just close Greenlight down already. It's filled with poor Ideas. Games rarely ever get accepted and if a game does get accepted it's just a crappy indie game or an unfinished one. Valve needs to learn quality control. Sure a big varity might be nice, (The next sentence is a hypothetical scenario, I'm sorry you guys don't understand that0 but if you start to add nearly anything to that varity it just becomes a dumping ground for total ♥♥♥♥.

I'm sure people work hard on these games but they have flash game sites for a reason.
Last edited by Batman; Aug 25 @ 11:18pm
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
SquirrlyNuts Aug 25 @ 9:00pm 
Yeah but it's the money batman ppl have lots of it. They would just rather spend it on a game you wouldn’t like.
Last edited by SquirrlyNuts; Aug 25 @ 9:00pm
amerk Aug 25 @ 9:04pm 
And do what exactly? You can't shut a system down without having a backup plan in place. Well, you could, but that would mean pretty much Valve eliminates all indie games unless they have a proven relationship with Valve or are backed by a publisher. That would defeat the purpose of what GL intended in the first place.

Valve isn't going to go back to the old system where they curate everything because they have neither the man power nor the resources to do so; so the alternative is, without Greenlight everything gets through.

So your solution is to remove GL and let the Steam store get flooded with these "crappy" games more so than they now are? At least with GL, the crap games have a harder chance of getting through without the required amount of votes. It's not perfect and could do with some improvements, but to remove it completely seems counterproductive.
Skoardy Aug 25 @ 10:01pm 
Originally posted by Batman:
It's filled with poor Ideas.
So vote 'No thanks' on the ones you don't like and learn to live with the fact that other people like things you don't.
Games rarely ever get accepted
If by 'rarely' you mean around 50-75 games every two weeks or so, then yes, very 'rarely'.
and if a game does get accepted it's just a crappy indie game or an unfinished one.
Nope. Since that claim is just pure subjective bull, there's not really much more to say.
Valve needs to learn quality control. Sure a big varity might be nice, but if you start to add nearly anything to that varity it just becomes a dumping ground for total ♥♥♥♥.
YOU are the quality control. That's the point of Greenlight. And now Valve are adding 'nearly anything'? I thought they were 'rarely accepting' games? Which one is it?

So, basically, just another 'other-people-like-things-I-don't-like' whine thread where the poster acts as if there's a gun at their head forcing them to buy Greenlight games.
Graeme- Coarse Gentleman Aug 25 @ 10:13pm 
Skoardy, remember that not many games that are Greenlit actually go on to be released.
Batman Aug 25 @ 10:50pm 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
Skoardy, remember that not many games that are Greenlit actually go on to be released.
He's too busy saying that I think people should just conform to the things I like.
Black Blade Aug 25 @ 10:52pm 
Greenlight is a QC, by the community, that is the point of it, games that are not likely by the community do not get into Steam
What you want them to pass game by game and decide for you if it needs to come into Steam or not?
Valve all ready said they do not want to be the gate keeper
Batman Aug 25 @ 10:54pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade (card rain):
Greenlight is a QC, by the community, that is the point of it, games that are not likely by the community do not get into Steam
What you want them to pass game by game and decide for you if it needs to come into Steam or not?
Valve all ready said they do not want to be the gate keeper
I'm just saying Greenlight gives Valve absolutely 0 benefit. It's a dumpster for poorly made games.
Black Blade Aug 25 @ 10:57pm 
I'm just saying Greenlight gives Valve absolutely 0 benefit. It's a dumpster for poorly made games.
Not true, greenlight cuts the work they need to do from shifting into these games before they had Greenlight these "poorly made games" were send to Valve and they had to pass on them 1 by 1, now users do that job and vote the game up or down, when a game gets some vote, only then dose Valve look at it and decide if the Game will come or not to Greenlight,
So basicly you can say they got some free work done on there side, and the community get games they want
Batman Aug 25 @ 11:15pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
First off, I don't really give a rat's ♥♥♥ if someone likes something I don't. And since you jump to conclusions and claim them as facts is pretty much stupid.
Secondly, I'm sorry I am not jerking to every MS paint flash game that goes accross my screen. That appears to be something Greenlight fanboys hold dear to themselves.
Like Graeme and myself understand, just because they accept 50-75 games every two weeks doesn't really mean they actually get to be released into the store. So really what I'm saying, if that's the case, why the hell do they have Greenlight in the first place.

Not only is it true that most games that get into Steam via Greenlight are ♥♥♥♥ty indie games or are always in early access, but you just claim it as ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ and refuse to counter it? I mean that's now how you defend something, that's just an act of idiocy.

No I am not the quality control, Valve is since the Steam client is their software. Gaben has even said himself he want's to shut down Greenlight. Mainly it is because of all the poorly developed games that it provides.

Oh and another thing, if you don't know how to read maybe you should go back to school.

Here is what you said:
That's the point of Greenlight. And now Valve are adding 'nearly anything'? I thought they were 'rarely accepting' games? Which one is it?

Here is what I said:
Valve needs to learn quality control. Sure a big varity might be nice, but if you start to add nearly anything to that varity it just becomes a dumping ground for total ♥♥♥♥

You're acting as though what I said is fact. Clearly it isn't. It's called being hypothetical, I was speaking in a sort of what if scenario. Anyone smart enough could clearly have seen that was the manner of presentation.

Please leave my thread.
Sir Blood of Cykaland Aug 25 @ 11:15pm 
>Says games are rarely accepted
>Also says they add "Nearly everything"

Which is it?
Batman Aug 25 @ 11:17pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade (card rain):
Not true, greenlight cuts the work they need to do from shifting into these games before they had Greenlight these "poorly made games" were send to Valve and they had to pass on them 1 by 1, now users do that job and vote the game up or down, when a game gets some vote, only then dose Valve look at it and decide if the Game will come or not to Greenlight,
So basicly you can say they got some free work done on there side, and the community get games they want
From what I remember, Valve wasn't doing so bad before Greenlight. All they needed to have done is set standards rather than just accept it all and sift through it. Hell they should do that now.
Batman Aug 25 @ 11:17pm 
Originally posted by Sir Blood of Cykaland:
>Says games are rarely accepted
>Also says they add "Nearly everything"

Which is it?
Oh you poor fool, let me go edit it so you cavemen can see it's being hypothetical example.
Last edited by Batman; Aug 25 @ 11:19pm
Black Blade Aug 25 @ 11:19pm 
From what I remember, Valve wasn't doing so bad before Greenlight. All they needed to have done is set standards rather than just accept it all and sift through it. Hell they should do that now.
And that is why they made Greenlight, they got too many and were not able to stand in the amount, so they made Greenlight to help them see only the most relevant games
And now there saying that Greenlight is also not doing it fast enough and it dose seem there going to change it (Steam Dev Days take a search ) but i really do not think you will like to what there going to change it any way

Please leave my thread.
These is a public forums, over all its not really "Your Tread"
Last edited by Black Blade; Aug 25 @ 11:20pm
Mr. FOX мать вашу! Aug 26 @ 12:40am 
!!!!
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 26 @ 1:00am 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
That greenlit games doesn't show up in the store does not really have anything to do with Valve or the workings of Greenlight, does it? The way Batman phrases himself I'm not sure he understands that.

Do we have any numbers on how many of the greenlit games have been dropped/cancelled will with absolute certainty not be released? Or is it still a waiting game and the argument that "not all greenlit games actually go on to be released" is just people venting how impatient they are about not being able to play the game they voted for now now now?

@Batman: I'm not sure how you were makeing a hypothetical statement somehow makes 2 conflicting/opposing statements make sense. What do you mean with that hypothetical statement that they would let in everything after just saying that they rarely accepted anything.
If you belive they rarely accept anything why would they all of a sudden accept everything?
You seem to imply both of them are bad... which is worse? Couldn't there be some middle ground? That they accept a fair or moderate ammount instead of rarely or everyone? What would be a proper solution for you if you were still confined by the greenlight system?

I do not believe you have understood the alternatives to Greenlight or what that would mean for Valve. You look at this from a customers point of view. I'm not saying it is possible to look at it from Gabes point of view because we don't have all the facts that he has, but your understanding of how this works is really shallow and you should be aware of that.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 26 @ 1:01am
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50