Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Dontdissthesonic 3 Aug 24 @ 12:27am
[SOLVED] Test Chamber Creator Issue
I need some help to fix this:
The other day, I had just finished a test chamber i wanted to publish. I saved it, and then pressed publish. After it had built the test chamber, it began to upload. Halfway through the uploading, my internet died. It just said "error uploading" at the time, so i just tried to re-upload it when my internet came back.
However, i can no longer access the "Create test chamber" area whatsoever. everything else works fine. it's just that bit that dosn't work. I click it, then portal2 just quits, no error messages, it just quits.
I have tried verifying the integrity of the game cache, but that did nothing
I have an inkling that there is something that whoever is running the server it was uploading to needs to delete my map out of their cache, then i can access the create test chambers area, and re-upload it.

I really do need help, as this is extremely frustrating, and i really want to publish my map.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by Dontdissthesonic; Sep 1 @ 12:13am
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
iAndy 8 Aug 24 @ 8:08am 
The file that was uploading might've been corrupted and that wouldn't be repaired by the integrity check. I would try temporarily moving the maps from the steamapps/common/portal 2/portal2/puzzles/<number>/ folder, then try running it again.. if it works, put the files back 1 at a time until you find the one that's corrupt..

If all this works and you're really intent on getting the map back, you might be able to compare it to a file that works and see if you can fix it in a hex editor.
TeamSpen210 13 Aug 24 @ 1:29pm 
Hex-editing isn't necersary, the p2c files are just text.
You might also want to try deleting from portal 2/sdk_content/maps the preview.vmf, preview.bsp and the vmfs/BSPs named with lots of numbers in case they might be corrupt. (These are the playable maps generated whenever you build your puzzle, they're easily regenerated.)
Dontdissthesonic 3 Aug 28 @ 2:46am 
Originally posted by iAndy:
The file that was uploading might've been corrupted and that wouldn't be repaired by the integrity check. I would try temporarily moving the maps from the steamapps/common/portal 2/portal2/puzzles/<number>/ folder, then try running it again.. if it works, put the files back 1 at a time until you find the one that's corrupt..

If all this works and you're really intent on getting the map back, you might be able to compare it to a file that works and see if you can fix it in a hex editor.

I love you.

It turns out you were correct with the corrupt file, i worked out that the autosave file generated when publishing was corrupt, so i deleted that, copied over the p2c and the jpg file, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the quick help, you guys were really useful, and i hope this will help others with the same problem.

As a way of saying thanks, i'm going to play all your maps and upvote them.
Last edited by Dontdissthesonic; Sep 5 @ 7:27pm
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50