Steam Greenlight
Changing a listing after it got Greenlit
Is there any sort of rule against changing a game's listing significantly (ie to a completely different game) after that listing got Greenlit?

The reason I am asking is Greenlight ID # 93069545 is now "Depth Hunter 2" but if you check the Wayback Machine Archive that same Greenlight ID # was "Depth Hunter" (the first game) back in 2012 and 2013 up until and after it got Greenlit.

See the Wayback machine archive on September 1, 2013 for instance:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130901011035/http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93069545

The entire wayback machine archive for the listing is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93069545
< >
กำลังแสดง 1-6 จาก 6 ความเห็น
Well to be honest it dose not really matter much, a voting on greenlight is not really to vote a game on Steam but vote a Dev on Steam
When a game gets greenlight it gets the Dev into Steam after one of his game pass he can go and release his next game with out voting or anything

And after the game got Greenlight you cant use the page any way, so it can be they did it more to push users that look for it to the new game, even that il be honest i think its a little wrong that they change it as it give the wrong impression that these is the game that got voted on
โพสต์ดั้งเดิมโดย Black Blade (card rain):
Well to be honest it dose not really matter much, a voting on greenlight is not really to vote a game on Steam but vote a Dev on Steam

Where do the listings say that? They read that you are voting for the game. I've never read anything to the effect that you are voting for a developer/publisher and ALL their games by voting for that one game.

When a game gets greenlight it gets the Dev into Steam after one of his game pass he can go and release his next game with out voting or anything

Source?

Because while there definitely are cases where developers have gotten games in without Greenlight after first getting one in previously through Greenlight, there are also cases where developers who got a game in through Greenlight were told they had to go back to Greenlight for their other game. There are also some Greenlight listings up now from developers and publishers that already have games on Steam.

Unless I see some direct source then I'm going to say it's at Valve's discretion and not 100% guaranteed at this point that if you get one game in you can get all of them in for life without Greenlight.
well to be honest i cant find it, i am pretty sure i read it somewhere, and over all it gives sense, if ever game some one releases will have to pass greenlight over and over, that will be a mess for a Dev like that

Also i all ready know abut a game that got there game greenlight and day after released a older game of there own On to Steam.
If i will refund the source il post it here
Getting a game on Steam isn't a guarantee you no longer have to go through GL, as has been discussed and shown on multiple occasions. Valve has never disclosed the criteria for avoiding GL and I imagine it's because they are selective in the process and take it on a case by case scenario, while they weigh the pros and cons for doing so.

But the general consensus appears to be based on your relationship with Valve, how well your previous games have sold, popularity of the games being sold, whether you have a publisher backing you or not, and very possible your net worth.

My guess is this. Sending a larger multi-million or billion dollar company through GL could very easily offend the company to the point they decide to take their games off Steam (if they've had any business in the past) and take their business somewhere else, thus costing Valve a large chunk of profit. Sending a smaller company or developer through GL where they've yet to prove their worth (regardless if they have games on Steam or not) is less of a risk. If they really want to be on Steam, they'll suck it up and go through GL, and if not then it's probably not a big loss for Valve anyways.

Again, it's all speculation. Valve doesn't feel the need to disclose what the criteria is, and unless you are told differently, you should expect that you'll need to go through GL each time.
In a nutshell, the popular vote decides which games Valve look at, Greenlit means "we'll talk to you about getting on the store" and the contract which comes from that decides what happens to your other games. No publisher of a greenlit game has been put through the process again, although developing teams have gone through it more than once. Even Julian Gollop went through GL (although only for about a week before getting through) Whereas less experienced devs have been given a free slot on the market by their publisher.
As for the OP's original question: Report it if you feel it's an abuse of the process, let the pros decide.
< >
กำลังแสดง 1-6 จาก 6 ความเห็น
ต่อหน้า: 1530 50