Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
[ICE] Helge - Panda Server Aug 19 @ 12:23am
Notice when games come out
Hello.

I am wondring when or if we get to know about a game we voted for greenlight comes out on steam so we can buy it. Is there any system set up for that?
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
C0untzer0 Aug 19 @ 12:39am 
They DO actually have a way of telling whether something you want to post about has already been brought up. The search function.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Sep 27 @ 9:40am
「Meeko」 Aug 20 @ 6:40pm 
I don't think you get a notice. But you can always check the Steam Store and you'll see if it is there. I think that's how you would find out.
Brainbox Software Sep 8 @ 5:13pm 
That really is a feature that would be nice to have. Both for the developers and the voters.
Fishman465 Sep 9 @ 11:03pm 
nope, just checking the store page for stuff, but well such a thing would be nice.
Skoardy Sep 10 @ 5:32am 
'Follow' the game. You'll receive announcements from the dev. It's a poor developer who fails to mention their game is on the store.
sam Sep 12 @ 12:37am 
This is the dumbest thing ever.

We all say "we'll buy this game if it gets on Steam". Then when it goes live, Steam does not bother to inform us? If you ask me, they should send us a special email, and automatically add it to our shopping carts and wishlists! Maybe that's a bit extreme, but Steam can make money by selling games to people who want them. Why would they not at least inform us that the desired game has gone live?
Last edited by sam; Sep 12 @ 12:39am
C0untzer0 Sep 12 @ 1:17am 
Originally posted by sam:
This is the dumbest thing ever.
Firstly, thank you for telling us that your post was the dumbest thing ever. It became fairly obvious on reading further that it was dumb, but at least you had the decency to let us know that you knew.

We all say "we'll buy this game if it gets on Steam". Then when it goes live, Steam does not bother to inform us? If you ask me, they should send us a special email,
You know who should tell us that the game is published? The publishers, it's THEIR job. Too many indie devs these days think that the process ends when you hit compile, and then they ♥♥♥♥ and moan when nobody buys their games because nobody notices that they're there.
Valve isn't in the business of hand-holding wannabe publishers, and they shouldn't be forced to hire staff to do other people's work for them.

automatically add it to our shopping carts
NO! They really shouldn't tell me when to buy a game, when I'll have time to play it, or when I want that particular title in my playing schedule. Customers shouldn't have games or ♥♥♥♥ty U2 albums forced on them at any time.

and wishlists!
What? Just stuck on at the end? That's terrible, I've put too much thought into the Wishlist order to just randomly throw something on like that.

Why would they not at least inform us that the desired game has gone live?
There are a number of ways that you can get notifications of games' development progress and release. If you don't follow them that's your fault, if the publishers don't keep their customers up to date, they deserve to fail.
Sera Sep 12 @ 6:20pm 
Sam's post is indeed dumb... My trick to know when a game comes? *checks "coming games" tab in the store*. It's like duh...!
Death Merchant Sep 12 @ 7:35pm 
here's an Idea: in the little steam inbox, Make it a Notification: "___________ Has been released" That's all we need. No emails of auto-wishlist. Just have it be a steam notification.
Spydrebyte Sep 12 @ 11:16pm 
I like the notification thing, and emails is not a bad option if given a choice you opt in for, i'd certainly use that even though I'm usually aware of the games coming already. Auto wishlist is not something id want to use personally, I think a better choice would be the notification "X has been released on steam, -link- to store page" where u can in 1 more click add it yourself.
sam Sep 15 @ 4:59am 
@C0untzer0, @Sera your responses are unfriendly. I find that unfriendly people are rarely intelligent; try to be more friendly and it will reflect better on you. I guess I started it by calling this problem "dumb", but I was talking about a major fault in Steam Greenlight, not someone's post. So many gamers and programmers are mal-adjusted, it's sad, we need to get more fresh air I guess.

The developers have no simple way to contact all people who voted "Yes" on their Greenlight page. Successful indie developers are aware of this problem and have complained about it, that's why I'm aware of it. Additionally it makes more sense for Valve to create one central system to inform people, or a mechanism for developers to contact the people who voted "Yes", rather than each developer wasting making their own redundant system to do it.

It's not good enough to hope the user pressed the "follow" button, or hope the user will see it on "coming games". Developers are losing sales and Valve is losing its cut of those sales because of this fault. You'd think they would want to fix it.

My suggestions about adding to the cart or wishlist were too extreme, as I said - I was half-joking. Perhaps it would be better if Steam makes a user "Follow" a game automatically if they click "Yes" I would buy the game. If they don't want to follow it, they can click to "unfollow" the game.

Another issue, a user may want to be informed when the game is released, but not every little thing the developer posts. It might be good to have something between nothing and "Follow".

A good solution to this would help the users, the developers and Valve.
Last edited by sam; Sep 15 @ 5:34am
C0untzer0 Sep 15 @ 6:09am 
@C0untzer0, @Sera your responses are unfriendly. I find that unfriendly people are rarely intelligent; try to be more friendly and it will reflect better on you.
How strange, I find that people who post such unintelligent things as you do tend to be unintelligent. Try not to post complete drivel and it will reflect better on you.

I guess I started it by calling this problem "dumb", but I was talking about a major fault in Steam Greenlight,
No, you weren't

The developers have no simple way to contact all people who voted "Yes" on their Greenlight page. Successful indie developers are aware of this problem and have complained about it, that's why I'm aware of it.
So they can't convince people to show interest in their game? That's really their failure, isn't it?

Additionally it makes more sense for Valve to create one central system to inform people, or a mechanism for developers to contact the people who voted "Yes",
You mean, like a notification system for followers? That would be amazing, let's all try to imagine what that might look like...

rather than each developer wasting making their own redundant system to do it.
Yeah, expecting people to maintain a mailing list is such a stretch, I know.

It's not good enough to hope the user pressed the "follow" button, or hope the user will see it on "coming games".
No, you don't hope, you make sure. If you can't entice somebody to make the extra click or to remember the game, you've done something wrong.

Developers are losing sales and Valve is losing its cut of those sales because of this fault.
If they can't keep somebody's attention, it's by no means guaranteed that they would be able to take their money. Perhaps sales were lost more through general bad promotion than by a system failure?

You'd think they would want to fix it.
You'd think? that would be great.

My suggestions about adding to the cart or wishlist were too extreme, as I said - I was half-joking.
Extreme, poorly thought out, and generally a bad idea. Nobody buys the "I was just kidding" thing.

This part would actually work, if you com
Another issue, a user may want to be informed when the game is released, but not every little thing the developer posts. It might be good to have something between nothing and "Follow". [/quote]
This part would actually work, if you combined the 2. Until you have the problem of developers thinking that every little thing that they post being special and important, because every little thing tha they say, do, or think is vital information.
Gnomic Studios Sep 15 @ 6:56pm 
As Skoardy says, the "Follow" function is the current answer. If you want to know when the game is released, follow it.

As a dev, I do think it would be great if there could be something more though. I suspect many people don't even think to Follow the game despite upvoting it. To give you some idea, our game currently has 2160 yes votes and 129 followers, about 6%.

The notification idea is great - nobody would mind a if a little notification appears when a game they have upvoted gets released.
Fishman465 Sep 15 @ 7:43pm 
it doesn't help that some developers don't announce a store date or such, especially with how stealthy GL's been as of late.
Gnomic Studios Sep 15 @ 9:36pm 
> how stealthy GL's been

@Fisman465 yeah I've been wondering about that... Any idea what is going on? Are games being greenlit individually (as opposed to the public batch announcements)?
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50