The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
tpowell647 Aug 16 @ 1:50pm
i hate to keep asking dumb questions
i'm trying to learn how to get some thing useing consul controlls like a sword but it does not seem to work so i some one could tell me the way to do it i would apprecate it so much
thanks
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Grathagis 7 Aug 16 @ 1:55pm 
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console_Commands

If you don't know what you are doing, stay away from them. Read the warning, they can break your game.
jreese46 41 Aug 16 @ 4:05pm 
First, what Grathagis says is extremely important, and the page he gave you is about the best source there is for Skyrim. If you do opt to try them, make sure you do a hard save first. Go into wherever your game saves are stored, copy it, and paste it into a totally different directory as a backup.

That being said, whatever sword you happen to want, use ~ to open your console, then type

help "name of sword"

(use quotes if more than one word "ebony sword" but not needed if it's one word such as dawnbreaker)

This will bring you a list of all the ebony swords. Use page up/page down to navigate the list, until you find the one you want, and look at its unique ID number. (ie: 000123A4)

type

player.additem 123a4 1

and one of those items will appear in your inventory. If you type 123a4 5, you will get five of them. The leading zeroes are not necessary but can be used without hurting anything.

Use ~ to close your console again.
Grathagis 7 Aug 16 @ 4:12pm 
Jreese is correct, but this method does not work with items from the DLCs. In that case you will also need to know in what order they are loaded. And the ID of the item needs to be changed in order to reflect that.
Last edited by Grathagis; Aug 16 @ 4:12pm
jreese46 41 Aug 16 @ 4:24pm 
It's never given me a problem. I'm forever equipping stormcloak prisoners with nordic swords of chaos and nordic armor, just using the help and equipitem commands.
Grathagis 7 Aug 16 @ 4:26pm 
Originally posted by jreese46:
It's never given me a problem. I'm forever equipping stormcloak prisoners with nordic swords of chaos and nordic armor, just using the help and equipitem commands.
I believe those items are in the basic game, not from a DLC.
jreese46 41 Aug 16 @ 7:20pm 
The nordic carved and chaos are from Dragonborn. What does updating entail? Is it that I'm using help to get the ID currently in use that makes it work? (as opposed to using an ID from a guide or something?)
Grathagis 7 Aug 16 @ 7:25pm 
Originally posted by jreese46:
The nordic carved and chaos are from Dragonborn. What does updating entail? Is it that I'm using help to get the ID currently in use that makes it work? (as opposed to using an ID from a guide or something?)
I was confused with ancient nordic armor (draugr armor) which is vanilla. If you look in the wikis for certain items from the DLCs their Ref ID code starts with xx where xx is the load order of the DLC. These are not the same codes if you use the help command.
jreese46 41 Aug 16 @ 7:51pm 
Oh, that explains it. I learned that the hard way the first time, and have just gone to the help command ever since. I tried to place a couple of Vigilants and put two Deathlords in the middle of Riverwood. Oops.
tpowell647 Aug 17 @ 5:43am 
thank you all for the warnings and the solutions no sure i'll do it or not .thanks a lot
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 16 @ 1:50pm