The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
Discord Kantus Aug 15, 2014 @ 8:22pm
Accidentally destroyed save with mods?
So, I downloaded a couple mods to make things more interesting; more specifically, a few increased enemy variety mods, some that add a few ultra-powerful monsters to specific locations in the game world, one that added a quest to go kill nine specific giant monsters (and its expansion that is connected to Cthulhu somehow-don't ask, haven't done it yet), and a few small mods (unread books glow, dragon priest masks/stones of Barenziah have quest markers, Dragon Souls can be spent on perk points). I also got one that enhanced the appearance of water, but it didn't remove the weird everything's-blue-down-here glitch that I hoped it would so I removed it. So far, everything's been perfectly fine, other than this strange glitch in which some areas on the overworld have invisible walls until I back up five feet and then I can go through, which is a price I am willing to pay to fight Dwarf Dragons and Bloodcrabs while Spiderzilla is battling mammoths in the background.

However, I was looking into the Civil War Overhaul (just wanted to know what it was, wasn't thinking of grabbing it) and the person whomever designed it, who clearly knows enough about the game to finish Bethesda's job for them, made it very clear that downloading or removing any kinds of mods, big or small, without starting a new game, very likely will cause pieces of code to collide and horribly ♥♥♥♥ up everything. Now I'm super paranoid that downloading all those mods mid-playthrough could have messed up my save. I have some saves from before that happened, thankfully, but I accomplished a lot since then (finished a questline, got some cool gear, leveled up a ton, etc.) So, how much did I potentially screw myself over in the long run?
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Golmore 3 Aug 16, 2014 @ 1:05am 
The mods you described sound fine. Adding new content is generally okay as long as it doesn't mess with anything from vanilla. Modifying preexisting content is what gets tricky. Like in the case of the Civil War Overhaul, that mod alters and activates a lot of preexisting scripts and such, so it requires a new game.

FYI, you should start using LOOT (http://loot.github.io/) to make aure your mods aren't conflicting.
Discord Kantus Aug 16, 2014 @ 7:23am 
Originally posted by Golmore:
The mods you described sound fine. Adding new content is generally okay as long as it doesn't mess with anything from vanilla. Modifying preexisting content is what gets tricky. Like in the case of the Civil War Overhaul, that mod alters and activates a lot of preexisting scripts and such, so it requires a new game.

FYI, you should start using LOOT (http://loot.github.io/) to make aure your mods aren't conflicting.

That's a relief. I'll look into grabbing LOOT to help keep things moving smoothly.
jjb-54 1 Aug 16, 2014 @ 8:44am 
Also - RULE # 1 - ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR CURRENT SAVED GAME TO ANOTHER FOLDER BEFORE ADDING ANY NEW MODS. Just in case. Always back up your saved games.
Discord Kantus Aug 16, 2014 @ 1:02pm 
Originally posted by jjb-54:
Also - RULE # 1 - ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR CURRENT SAVED GAME TO ANOTHER FOLDER BEFORE ADDING ANY NEW MODS. Just in case. Always back up your saved games.
Another folder? Why? I have 400-some saves, none deleted. I can always go back to a previous one, current folder or not.
Discord Kantus Aug 16, 2014 @ 1:02pm 

Tried out LOOT. It said quite a few of my mods conflicted, but it also said Dragonborn and Hearthfire were incompatible, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
Golmore 3 Aug 16, 2014 @ 3:14pm 
Originally posted by SLthethird:
Tried out LOOT. It said quite a few of my mods conflicted, but it also said Dragonborn and Hearthfire were incompatible, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I would assume it was telling you that the load order you had was bad. It looks for conflicts between mods and reorders them to avoid those conflicts. Did you have Hearthfire before Dragonborn in the load order?
Discord Kantus Aug 16, 2014 @ 3:34pm 
Originally posted by SLthethird:

I would assume it was telling you that the load order you had was bad. It looks for conflicts between mods and reorders them to avoid those conflicts. Did you have Hearthfire before Dragonborn in the load order?
I... think so? I'll check in a few minutes.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 15, 2014 @ 8:22pm