Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
The doctor is in Aug 13, 2014 @ 12:48pm
steam should seriously consider removing allowing members to submit concepts for free
concepts area is drowning in fake entries and spam

steam should consider adding $100 fee to concept area like it does to other greenlight areas to reduce the amount of spam/trolling

sad but who honestly would have thought it that people would find such an amazing opportunity by steam such a joke that they would spam/troll it and abuse it...

worse some of the posts are very disgusting / repulsive / upsetting i wont point out the one im thinking cause it would be shaming them, but honestly some things are just not jokes...

they have small group of volunteer moderators and small group of employee moderators that have to deal with 70+ members, 3000+ games, 3000+ discussion area, old forums, 70M+ profiles, member screenshots, member videos, member comments, member groups, and game tags and game reviews. so i bet they show up and have 1.5B complaints waiting each day...
Last edited by The doctor is in; Aug 13, 2014 @ 2:27pm
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Skoardy Aug 13, 2014 @ 12:50pm 
Bothering to even moderate it would be a nice change of pace...
Skoardy Aug 13, 2014 @ 12:59pm 
If they can't price into their little 70+ million members / 3000+ games business model for someone to take 30 minutes out of their day to bin obvious spam/trash/trolling/request pages just to keep on top of it, then I worry for Steam.
The doctor is in Aug 13, 2014 @ 1:00pm 
oh sorry i deleted the post. im still upset by that greenlight concept... i dont think the moderators can do much more. and the business side has little incentive to moderate cause it would upset customers and hurt sales to do more...
Last edited by The doctor is in; Aug 13, 2014 @ 1:04pm
C0untzer0 Aug 13, 2014 @ 2:09pm 
Originally posted by The doctor is in:
i dont think the moderators can do much more
They surely couldn't do much less.
Skoardy Aug 13, 2014 @ 2:46pm 
oh sorry i deleted the post. im still upset by that greenlight concept... i dont think the moderators can do much more.
Much like CZ says, it'd be nice if they actually did anything. I had a quick flick through the old pages to see when I could spot an example of an obvious (and reported) but unmoderated page. One I found was from Dec 2012.
and the business side has little incentive to moderate cause it would upset customers and hurt sales to do more...
I'd like to believe the number of people who are so dumb that they don't know what Greenlight is for are vastly out-numbered by the ones who do and if it's just potential losses steering this ship, surely it makes more sense for Valve to appease the majority for a change?
The doctor is in Aug 13, 2014 @ 4:52pm 
i dont want to dump on steam moderators cause i know they are working very hard i see that in all the posts they delete and all the threads they delete and lock and all the people they ban... the thing is u cant expect small group to be able to control the size of it. its steam who needs to manage things. i think one way it to remove free concepts and make people pay for it. if you have some reasonable concept that u hope to take to a game its not unreasonable to be asked to pay some amount. steam has been very generous and giving the greenlight money to charity so its not like they profit. it just would keep the spam / trolling down and all that noise cheapens an otherwise unbelievable opportunity for indie and serious people posting real stuff. why not have some small charge like they do for greenlight. that has kept greenlight games for the most part spam free (ok some few exceptions but those would i think remove 99% of the spam) plus charity would love it. i dont think people / company hoping to do business on steam with what steam brings to the table would mind a minimal charge. or perhaps steam idea is to have concept area is lost cause everyone can spam but only better stuff make it to greenlight i guess that is sort of release valve or line separating the fake stuff from the real stuff. too bad since concept could be more of helping people go from idea to greenlight prototype. we see nice stuff in concept some authors like the feed back and will influence their development of idea and their work. but many are just fake or just not able to take any input. i see less issue in workshop area so i dont understand fully why people like to spam/troll concept area... i guess cause in workshop u have to actually get sdk and make at least something if just publish one of the sample maps/mods so spammers/trollers wont do that much. perhaps concept could have filtering system so u can up vote and downvote and filter out people who hafve no votes, few votes or lots of negative votes. that way we dont have to report but just downvote sort of like reddit...
Skoardy Aug 13, 2014 @ 5:05pm 
the thing is u cant expect small group to be able to control the size of it.
But I can expect Valve to ensure they have a group size that is even vaguely adequate to the task. Like I said, if pages from as far back as 2012 are going unmoderated, that doesn't suggest 'over work', that suggests a complete lack of it.
The doctor is in Aug 13, 2014 @ 5:28pm 
ive been basically thinking the same thing for last couple years since they moved from the old forums to the new discussion areas and more strongly as they keep adding more and more and more. i was just making suggestion cause of way concept is heading. i still dont understand why its going this way. sadly its not like u can ask them why u posted spam or why your trolling. caus all the results is they curse u out. i think charging people would be way to keep it for the most part spam free... its more of small group and 1B complaints so they only can cover so much and the rest never gotten to. so if u want something gone the best thing is for group of members to report it i would think since that would show up more than the sea of complaints. so moderator comes in i would htink they have some screen showing which item the most complaints and they would do that one first. i honestly dont know what they do or what they see but they have to have way to manage the haystack. anyways im tired for today. nice chatting. hoping it gets better it was not like this before so i still dont know what is making people troll/spam concept. perhaps people mad at steam for something else and playing it out here cause they can... plus if u look lot of them removed i do see that things do get removed. but i dont know if author removed or steam removed. so it cant be expected they hit 100% of them cause they would have lots of other things to look at beside concept area.
Skoardy Aug 13, 2014 @ 5:52pm 
When Valve remove reported items, you get an automated email thanking you for reporting inappropriate content and telling you how many items they've removed. You know that going on the state of the Concepts section, you should receive an email daily saying they binned half a dozen items. These days, however, I'm surprised to see an email every month or two saying they've removed one item.

If a page disappears, chances are the poster deleted it themselves.
The doctor is in Aug 13, 2014 @ 6:20pm 
u mean / i bet u dont have one saying

Thank you for reporting content that violates the Steam Terms of Service or breaks the rules of the area in which it was submitted.

Because of your efforts, we've removed 4294967295 more items from the Steam Community.

they should give me some sort of badge / achievement for my efforts!

by the time i got the email there is so many new posts i never really got to see the 4294967295 items they removed... ;)

still i rather not see all the non concept concepts
Last edited by The doctor is in; Aug 13, 2014 @ 6:24pm
Aug 13, 2014 @ 8:21pm 
jaja nice :3
Cleril Aug 13, 2014 @ 9:54pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
If they can't price into their little 70+ million members / 3000+ games business model for someone to take 30 minutes out of their day to bin obvious spam/trash/trolling/request pages just to keep on top of it, then I worry for Steam.

You do not want to know the myriad of problems with Greenlight.

There's more issues than are even mentioned by the media/public.

If any other company did something like Greenlight they would be lynched.

There's a reason developers hate Greenlight. And it's beyond reasons casually mentioned.

It's great that Valve admits Greenlight is a failure but it would be even better if they got the backlash they deserve.
C0untzer0 Aug 14, 2014 @ 1:50am 
i see less issue in workshop area so i dont understand fully why people like to spam/troll concept area...
1 The "Pillock of the Community" badge doesn't send people to the workshop.
2 Greenlight gets more traffic. In my own experience people go to the workshop more often for specific items and games, often after somebody in a discussion says "If you want to play it like that have you tried this mod" or similar sentiment.

I've been saying since the start that Greenlight should be gated to prevent it being flooded with stuff like you see, restricting who can post with a simple automated test of whether they know what they're doing would be more efficient and if such test includes agreeing to pay a fine if they break certain rules would act as deterrent to the bad while still encouraging free exchange of ideas for the guys who use it properly.
Last edited by C0untzer0; Aug 14, 2014 @ 1:51am
The doctor is in Aug 14, 2014 @ 6:17am 
yeah growing number of personal pages and fake pages. number of members also doing multiple fake pages
Last edited by The doctor is in; Aug 14, 2014 @ 6:17am
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 13, 2014 @ 12:48pm