Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
Discover And Share User Maps
Download new user maps and extend you game experience. Create your own maps and share it with friends and community. Click here to learn more about sharing your content.
StarCraftZerg 12 Aug 8, 2014 @ 11:20am
The Workshop is Unforgivable!
Honestly, I believe the workshop is as dishonest as a 10 year old who broke a vase. There are maps on the #1 spot that aren't even good, or people just spam-post maps on the board and completely flood it. That makes it hard for REAL map makers like me. The older maps had their moments of glory back in 1996-98. We want to see fresh, new maps from fresh, new BUILDers. I have recreated levels from Doom, Blood and created Duke City, and Duke City was number 1 for a week, and then people started flooding the workshop with these mediocre maps. Then my recreations of famous maps from our pasts doesn't even make it to #2... I think the Workshop should be seperated by OLD and NEW maps. If you want to post an old map, put it in OLD, and a new map, put it in NEW. That would balance the workshop and make real mappers, like myself, very happy!
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
henckelx Aug 8, 2014 @ 11:59am 
Maybe add a SERIOUS category and a NOT SERIOUS as well... I hate those 10-year-olds posting "look what I made" maps... I want SERIOUS maps by SERIOUS mapmakers. I tried making maps a couple of times but they weren't that good, so I never posted them.
>M@tEo$< Aug 8, 2014 @ 12:36pm 
It's a workshop on Steam like others, just take a look at all the crap you can find for L4D2 for instance.
Spanator 8 Aug 8, 2014 @ 12:40pm 
I agree with previous posts new maps should have an high visibility and best regards since are the present and we all have a lot to thanks any map builder, but there's someting more to say: there are 4 different kind of maps: only deathmatch, only single player, single player with some joints points like destroyable to allow a nice deathmatch like many of the official duke nukem grp maps and weird maps or funny tale maps.. Don't be scared by the past since it was nice, indeed look at the present and the future: i know some maps are just stupid since their durability is very short but are like immortal as a funny tale, a joke, a jest, linking all together bring to the perfect map. I want to be the first to thanks new works on maps, and the last to leave old miths maps! ... and i'm ready for more action!
Mipple Aug 8, 2014 @ 1:42pm 
Yeah, That would be a nice feature. Unfortunately, such a feature does not exist and probably will not be coming in the near future.
AN DARKELVEN SORCERESS!!1 1 Aug 8, 2014 @ 3:41pm 
This is the issue I raised before the workshop was even added - the flood of 'this map not by me/autor uknown' submissions and little creative endeavors getting any fresh air.
Last edited by AN DARKELVEN SORCERESS!!1; Aug 8, 2014 @ 3:41pm
StarCraftZerg 12 Aug 8, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
I agree that the issue will never be resolved but come on! Like what "henckelx" said, these "look what I made" maps are getting out of hand, and with "AN UPSET" the Unknown Author/Not my map things are the same way. I appreciate the classics, but they had their share of fame. I think it's time for the new maps to make an introduction like my Blood map, DukeCraft, and things like Miamifl. These are newly made maps and deserve credit. Not these, "Hey I found this on a website back in 1997 and it made my ♥♥♥♥ rock hard so I'm gonna post it," and I'm dusting off a classic but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you think is good, someone else may think it's ♥♥♥♥. Somtimes it's the thought that counts, but most critics will always look for quality over anything.
Mipple Aug 8, 2014 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by StarCraftZerg:
I agree that the issue will never be resolved but come on! Like what "henckelx" said, these "look what I made" maps are getting out of hand, and with "AN UPSET" the Unknown Author/Not my map things are the same way. I appreciate the classics, but they had their share of fame. I think it's time for the new maps to make an introduction like my Blood map, DukeCraft, and things like Miamifl. These are newly made maps and deserve credit. Not these, "Hey I found this on a website back in 1997 and it made my ♥♥♥♥ rock hard so I'm gonna post it," and I'm dusting off a classic but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you think is good, someone else may think it's ♥♥♥♥. Somtimes it's the thought that counts, but most critics will always look for quality over anything.
Uploading the classics to the Workshop IS a great idea, despite what you say. However, there should be two distinct sections for both types of maps: new and old.
StarCraftZerg 12 Aug 8, 2014 @ 4:32pm 
Originally posted by Wallfish:
Uploading the classics to the Workshop IS a great idea, despite what you say. However, there should be two distinct sections for both types of maps: new and old.
Yeah, but still. Don't you agree that they had their moment of glory. A lot of people are still making maps to this day and are publishing them to the workshop for everyone to see, but their maps are being hidden and drowned by old maps that people may have seen already or are below par in quality. Yes there should be an OLD and NEW section, but come on, the new maps are SOMETIMES better than these old maps. Especially with Mapster32 being used instead of vanilla BUILD that these old maps were made with.
Mipple Aug 8, 2014 @ 4:56pm 
Originally posted by Wallfish:
Yeah, but still. Don't you agree that they had their moment of glory. A lot of people are still making maps to this day and are publishing them to the workshop for everyone to see, but their maps are being hidden and drowned by old maps that people may have seen already or are below par in quality. Yes there should be an OLD and NEW section, but come on, the new maps are SOMETIMES better than these old maps. Especially with Mapster32 being used instead of vanilla BUILD that these old maps were made with.
Yeah, I agree with you. However, old maps should still be uploaded, if just for the sake of simplicity and ease of access.
ᴰᵣ. Cuddlebug Aug 9, 2014 @ 3:01pm 
The devs should honestly waste their time curating the Steam workshop?

Think about this for a second. Because this sort of thing would require a dev spending a lot of time sorting maps by "new" and "old"

I honestly couldn't care less about what maps are on the front page of the workshop. And I usually use the search bar.
Last edited by ᴰᵣ. Cuddlebug; Aug 9, 2014 @ 3:02pm
-|Nur|- 19 Oct 6, 2014 @ 4:52am 
The "old maps" that get uploaded to Workshop are almost without exception considered classics that everyone should play. It's the new Workshop maps that are mostly of mediocre quality.
StarCraftZerg 12 Oct 6, 2014 @ 7:31pm 
I don't know, I tend to think only SOME of the classics are good and a lot of them are mediocre. But I guess by your statement, you mean that beauty comes with age, so in about 10-15 years, my maps will be considered masterpieces? It's not about whether they are classics or not, but rather if they are playable and are a fun experience in which case, only some of them are. I played quite a few classic maps, but I still feel like newer ones bring more flavor to the mixing pot. It's like, putting in 1000s of old apples to the pot and then someone just comes in and throws a banana in there and now we have somewhat of a new flavor! And if people keeping adding different fruit, then the mixture will begin to taste good. Still, I give respect to the classics, but I can't say that the new maps are bad in any way!
-|Nur|- 19 Oct 7, 2014 @ 5:13am 
The maps now considered classics were considered top of the line back in the day already. That they're classics means you can play them ten years from now and still find them impressive; that's what makes something a classic.

Of course people come up with future classics all the time; several maps released this year will be fondly remembered in ten years. Your maps aren't quite there yet, but I see a lot of potential in your work. (And DM maps will probably never be considered classics simply because only so few people ever end up actually playing them.)
Sam Lilly Oct 13, 2014 @ 12:17pm 
Let's all keep in mind that the oldest maps in the whole game are the ones in the campaign, and those still hold up, right? The workshop is for anyone to post content. Let's welcome more content. Everyone has different tastes so new, old, SP, DM, whatever. Quality is measured in different ways by different people. As long as the maps function, let them be. It's just more levels for everyone and that's good. Besides, you can tell if the maps are new or old from the descriptions anyway.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50