As the title says, I wanted to make a visual novel based around a text-based choose-your-own-adventure I created last year, but first let me give a little history lesson...
Once upon a time, a young man in high school that happened to be me thought it would be fun to make a CYOA game, which I typed up on MS word in less than a week. It was a very bizzare tale about saving the world while strange happenings and shameless pop-culture references both proceed and impede you. All in all, it was a very simple thing, and despite a lot of its forced humor my friends and colleagues who played it had a great time.
So~ in the middle of playing Katawa Shoujo I suddenly thought to myself,
"Why not turn my piece of trash into a visual novel??!!!"
I figured if I did, I'd make sure to
- make the story more focused and coherent while still keeping its absurdity
- be less direct with my references and be smarter when I make any nods
- increase the length of the original, short routes
- draw up some art
- create original music
- and if I could manage, get some of my droogs to voice act. Maybe even decently!
So I guess the questions I ask you all out there include
- Is there a visual novel engine I can use?
- Any specific coding language to learn?
- This may sound a little dumb, but how long would a decent visual novel take to make?
- What specifically should I do to ensure the highest quality for my little vanity project er uh I mean idea for a pasttime?
Thanks for wasting a bit of your time to read this. Any feedback, whether it's positive, negative, critical, or trolling, is appreciated. Maybe not the last bit, but again, please help a guy out. :)