Portal 2

Portal 2

Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
kamyk 3 Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:40am
Making maps including Bee2, and Hmw objects self contained?
Precisely how do you compile your map with them included so people don't have to download mods? I already have pakrat, I just have no idea how to use it. Also once I do know how to use it, how do I upload my altered bsp? I see dozens of maps using Bee2 with no link to the mod, and I've read it's possible to repack your map with the extra items included using pakrat. If anyone could please explain how to do these things to me, I'd really appreaciate it. I've spent two days looking for answers.

Try the maps I have done so far...

Last edited by kamyk; Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:41am
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
TeamSpen210 17 Aug 1, 2014 @ 12:49pm 
The majority of BEE2 items don't actually need to pack content, and the BEE2 will actually automatically pack any content.
toncica 44 Aug 1, 2014 @ 1:46pm 
What about the sendificator? I needed to pack it in a while ago or else it wouldn't work for other people without BEE2 . Has that been changed?
TeamSpen210 17 Aug 1, 2014 @ 2:03pm 
I'll fix that.
kamyk 3 Aug 1, 2014 @ 7:44pm 
That doesn't help with the HEP objects... Or thngs by other modders. I tremendously appreciate all the work that has gone into Bee2 (and all the other mods), but I'd still like to know the answers to my questions if anyone would be so kind. I'm sure it would still be info I could use. Not to mention, I'd just like to know for knowings sake. I'd like to go more advanced than just using the built in editor.
Last edited by kamyk; Aug 1, 2014 @ 8:41pm
TeamSpen210 17 Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:49pm 
First, the .bsp you want is "sdk_content/maps/preview.bsp". (The vmf is in "sdk_content/maps/styled/preview.vmf"). Hold down control while compiling to generate a map with high-quality lighting and that starts in the elevators, like when published.

You can open Pakrat, browse to the BSP and copy in files. Custom files will either be in "portal2/" (original game), "portal2_dlc1/" (Peer Review) or "portal2_dlc2/" (PeTI update). When you import things, Pakrat will ask to fix up the file paths. Allow it to do so. There's an auto-scanning feature which will attempt to find custom content for you, you'll want to run it 3 times (once for each of the above folders).

Never rename the .bsp file, it'll mess up the cubemaps and make your map look horrible. Once you're ready to upload, run "bin/p2_map_publish.exe", which lets you upload a .bsp, set the description and name, etc just like ingame. You can't update a PeTI map with a "Hammer" map or vice-versa; the two uploaders are effectively invisible to each other.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:40am