Steam Greenlight

Help pick new games for Steam

Browse through the entries here and rate up the games you want to see made available via Steam

Submit your product
Misterfantastic Aug 1, 2014 @ 3:56am
Can free concept games be greenlit?
Hey all i was wondering if free concept games can be made avalible on steam cuss maybe if they choose a few games from free concepts and put them in greenlightconcept and be released on steam only for one month or so if not it can be a good idea :)
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Black Blade Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:01am 
I did not really get the idea, you want them to give free pass to free concepts games?
@MartiN@ Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:09am 
ble
Misterfantastic Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:19am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
I did not really get the idea, you want them to give free pass to free concepts games?

if they make the games free and canot be a demo and on steam for only a month

Black Blade Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:29am 
Originally posted by Misterfantastic <====)=0:
I see, well not really agree, then you will have some that will spam there games just to have them free there for a mouth, hoping to get some votes
Skoardy Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:36am 
Hey all i was wondering if free concept games can be made avalible on steam cuss maybe if they choose a few games from free concepts and put them in greenlightconcept and be released on steam only for one month or so if not it can be a good idea :)
I don't really feel you're explaining yourself very well so excuse me if I get the wrong end of the stick. Are you saying you think Valve should take a bunch of games from Greenlight Concepts and make them available to people (as if they were on the Store) for a month?

If that's what you're suggesting, then, no, I don't think that would be a very good idea. Firstly, it defeats the point of Greenlight overall. Games are there to be voted on by users for inclusion to the store from Greenlight proper. To get into proper, a dev with a Concept project needs to pay their $100 fee. That fee is there for a reason.

Secondly, most games in Concepts aren't really in any kind of state to be available to the public (if they were - they'd probably be in proper Greenlight). And no, I don't consider those projects where people have made a buggy 'demo' of half a barren level with a few placeholder assets dotted around to be ready for public consumption.
Misterfantastic Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:37am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
I see, well not really agree, then you will have some that will spam there games just to have them free there for a mouth, hoping to get some votes

yeah you are right but i so badly want my game on steam but i cant aford that priceof $100
it is an incane price but atleast the mony goes to the right place
Misterfantastic Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:38am 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
I don't really feel you're explaining yourself very well so excuse me if I get the wrong end of the stick. Are you saying you think Valve should take a bunch of games from Greenlight Concepts and make them available to people (as if they were on the Store) for a month?

If that's what you're suggesting, then, no, I don't think that would be a very good idea. Firstly, it defeats the point of Greenlight overall. Games are there to be voted on by users for inclusion to the store from Greenlight proper. To get into proper, a dev with a Concept project needs to pay their $100 fee. That fee is there for a reason.

Secondly, most games in Concepts aren't really in any kind of state to be available to the public (if they were - they'd probably be in proper Greenlight). And no, I don't consider those projects where people have made a buggy 'demo' of half a barren level with a few placeholder assets dotted around to be ready for public consumption.

yes you are right but they pick the top voted ones
Black Blade Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:43am 
yeah you are right but i so badly want my game on steam but i cant aford that priceof $100
it is an incane price but atleast the mony goes to the right place
I see, well look the 100$ are to show one really thinks the game is good if you think the game will not pass the Greenlight process then very likely you will not want to spend that 100$

On any case when you pass greenlight you do not pass one game only, you pass that game and every new game you make next and so on
So if you really want it i recommend you save and get it when you can

And il be honest with you if you talking abut these game:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=291488341

That you made with GameMaker studio.. i really do not think it will pass greenlight.. not with some more work into it...
Last edited by Black Blade; Aug 1, 2014 @ 4:45am
Skoardy Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:01am 
Sorry, but that's sort of the whole point of the fee in the first place. Prior to the fee, Greenlight was filled, wall-to-wall, with spam, 'jokes', trolling and generally terrible games. If a dev is serious about getting their game on Steam and believes in its quality, the $100 fee is a minor stepping stone. People who didn't think their game couldn't realistically get through Greenlight didn't want to risk $100 on something they already knew.

As I tried to explain to some other devs a little while ago, pop $5 in a jar every week and keep working on your game. Spread over time (and if there's multiple people like with the other devs, spread between several people), it becomes a lot more manageable and in the meantime, you're improving your game so that it's ready for Greenlight.
Last edited by Skoardy; Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:02am
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 1, 2014 @ 5:30am 
It's a horrible idea to bypass the system in that way Misterfantastic as it will be exploited and abused by less serious people.

Also your game would not be chosen to appear in the steam store through the system you describe as it is rather dull and unimaginative. It's very basic, has booring mechanics, little to no animation, no storyline or hooks to speak of. You are very much overestimating the result of your efforts.

If you want this available for free to people maybe you should try some flash game website or something...
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 1, 2014 @ 3:56am