This item has been removed from the community because it violates Steam Community & Content Guidelines. It is only visible to you. If you believe your item has been removed by mistake, please contact Steam Support.
This item is incompatible with DOOM II: Hell on Earth. Please see the instructions page for reasons why this item might not work within DOOM II: Hell on Earth.
Current visibility: Hidden
This item will only be visible to you, admins, and anyone marked as a creator.
Current visibility: Friends-only
This item will only be visible in searches to you, your friends, and admins.
Not enough ratings
How-to: Complete DOOM II Steam Experience
After going through a lot of trouble to setup Doom II to play properly on my Steam account, I've decided to share my knowledge because some of you might be looking for answers too.
This guide will provide you with answers on how to setup source ports, ditch DosBox, play multiplayer, and most importantly - track time properly with Steam.
You will need a few things to setup this properly. Except Doom II which is available comercially here on Steam, you will also need several other pieces of software to make this work. All other downloads are free.
So, here is what you need:
- Doom II: Hell on Earth. I play this one, although I'm quite sure most portions of this guide would work with other old Doom games as well. (who knows, might as well try it one day)
- Zandronum. Zandronum is source port, basically, a modern way to run old Doom game. Doom games are delivered to you via Dosbox and Dosbox is basically a no-no if you tend to modernize your game. Current version of Zandronum is 2.1.2. and it's been released in July 2015. You may download it at https://zandronum.com/download - choose the appropriate download. I am a Windows 7 user so I choose Installer (Bundled with Doomseeker).
- Doom Explorer. Doom Explorer is Doom launcher for both singleplayer and multiplayer and we will use it to search for multiplayer games and run singleplayer games. Latest version of Doom Explorer is 1.18, February 2016. You may download it at http://doomutils.ucoz.com/load/doom_explorer/4. I choose to install Doom Explorer 1.18, installer.
Steps to madness
Follow these easy steps to install and configure Doom II for playing on Steam.
1. After purchasing Doom II: Hell on Earth, install it. It will take a mere seconds. Once the game has been installed, browse local files. Doom II files will be located at \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2 on HDD of your choice.
2. Inside \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2 you will find three files and one folder: two .bat files named 'doom2' and 'doom2 + mouse', .txt file 'steam_appid' and folder 'base'.
3. Locate your Zandronum installer and run it. DO NOT choose default installation folder. Instead, tick 'Portable Installation' box and install Zandronum in \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base. Yes, install it in 'base' folder in your 'Doom 2' folder.
4. After that installation has been completed, run Doom Explorer installer and also install Doom Explorer in 'base' folder of 'Doom 2' folder. In case you forgot where it is: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base - keep in mind you will need to place HDD drive letter and any additional folders in front of this copy-pasted address to properly install stuff. For example, my 'base' folder is located at Z:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2\base.
That's it for installations. Now onto devilish configurations.
1. Run Doom Explorer by double clicking DoomExplorer.exe in your 'base' folder. When DE opens, click the icon for 'Options'. It's the first icon to the left with screwdriver and wrench. When 'Options' panel is opened, you will have a lot of options to choose from. Most of them will be setup automatically and most of them you will not have a need to mess with. The one you need is on 'Programs' tab.
2. Click 'Programs' tab and then press 'Add'. In the next window, choose your port (Zandronum), name it (Zandronum) and browse to Zandronum.exe which is, if you've paid any attention located at 'base' folder. Pick it. Leave 'relative path' checkbox unticked. Adding additional installed ports should also be done here.
3. Click OK on pop up window, click OK on 'Programs' tab and close the options panel. Exit Doom Explorer for now.
4. Go to your Doom 2 folder. That's the one located at \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Doom 2. Now we'll work on these two .bat files and make Steam launch Doom in DoomExplorer instead of DosBox.
5. Right click on either of two Doom 2 Windows batch files. From the menu, choose 'Edit' and the files will be opened in Notepad. These will be the contents of .bat files:
Delete the content completely and simply paste this without quotes:
Repeat deleting and pasting this simpler command in both 'Doom2' and 'Doom2 + mouse' .bat files. Save them.
In case you're wondering what you did right now - you've made Steam launch Doom Explorer instead of Doom 2 via Dosbox. When Doom Explorer is launched, you will be able to choose singleplayer and multiplayer games via Doom Explorer.
Finally... the hell is here for you to slay.
If you've done everything properly (downloaded software, installed in right folders and updated .bat files), you will now be running Doom 2 via Doom Explorer. Setting up Doom Explorer to run your games should be a flawless experience. There are enough information about Doom Explorer out there so I will keep this short.
For singleplayer games, choose 'Single Player' tab. All the options are self-explanatory. So be sure to pick your custom WADS (Brutal Doom and such...) there if you need 'em. You will be able to choose some display options and modes in Doom Explorer, however, I would suggest you to do it in-game. Also, when you decide to save and load game, just do it like you normally run Doom. The next time you run a game via Doom Explorer, choose 'Load Game' and load your game. It's really easy.
Choosing and creating multiplayer games is also easy as pie. Choose your server. If you're missing WADs, choose to download them. When it's done, the game will launch normally.
If you need help with Doom Explorer and Zandronum, there are wikis and forums to search for a help. Zandronum has a nice community running bloody fights every week, so make sure to join in.
Alright, that's about it. If you need anymore help, feel free to post your comments in comments section.