1. Contraption Area
This is where you build your contraptions. You can zoom in/out and pan around to make contraptions any size you want.
2. Play Controls
The play controls are used to run your contraption. Click the green play button to begin the simulation. Once started, hit the stop button to stop the contraption and reset everything. The fast forward button on the right allows you to run your contraption at 2x and 4x normal speed.
The red button on the left will record a video of your contraption running. While recording, the game will not run in real time.
This is normal, and when you play your video back it will run at a normal framerate. You can adjust recording settings to record faster, but it will lower the quality of your video output.
Videos will output to .webm format. This video format is small, and can be uploaded directly to YouTube. Evetually, you will be able to upload to YouTube directly from the game.
3. Parts Bin
The parts bin holds all of the parts available for you to use. Drag a part from here to your contraption window to use it. The tabs up at the top separate the parts into different categories for easier browsing.
4. Scenery Bin
Like the parts bin, but for scenery pieces. Drag pieces from here to your contraption window to place them.
5. Layer Panel
This is used to organize choose the different layers of your scenery. This is explained in more detail in the "Background Tool" section.
6. Top Menu
All of the options here are associated with the contraption they are attached to. The options from left to right are:
- Save: Save your contraption.
- Share: Share your creation to the Steam Workshop as either a puzzle or a contraption.
- Contraption Options: A more detailed contraption options dropdown.
- Undo/Redo: Undo or redo a mistake.
- Zoom In/Out: Zoom the contraption window in or out. This can also be done with the mouse wheel.
The toolbar allows to to access different tools. More options will show up here as more tools are added to the game. The buttons from left to right are:
- Pan/Select: Switch your cursor from select to pan. This can also be done temporarily by holding down the spacebar.
- Parts Bin: Brings your parts bin to the front incase you lose it behind other windows.
- Scenery Bin: Brings your scenery bin to the front incase you lose it behind other windows.
- Layer Panel: Brings your layer panel to the front incase you lose it behind other windows.
- Video Options: Opens up the video options window. Here, you can adjust your video resolution and quality.
8. File Bar
From left to right, the file bar options are:
- Home: Leave the Maker Lab and return to the main menu.
- Open: Open a saved contraption.
- New: Create a new contraption.
- Quit: Quit Contraption Maker and return to the desktop.