: Follow this step-by-step and you shouldn't damage your GPU(s) or burn down your house, but you
are still responsible for monitoring temperatures and making sure that you have good airflow. I can't guarantee that your GPU(s) won't wear and tear. You are taking a minimal risk but there's still a risk something might go wrong.
1. A computer with Windows (XP or greater), Internet Explorer[windows.microsoft.com]
6 or higher (CoinLab recommends at least IE9 for the best experience) and one or more GPUs (AMD 5000 Series or higher recommended).
2. Download and install the latest driver for your GPU. Here's a link for AMD[support.amd.com]
users and Nvidia[www.nvidia.com]
A note for users with AMD GPU(s) and Windows XP: AMD dropped support for OpenCL on Windows XP after Catalyst 12.2 (version 12.1 is the last one that installs OpenCL, 12.3 and newer does not work at all for this). Credit goes to CSX for pointing this out.
and install Uber Compute for Keys Client.
4. Skip if you are not an AMD user. If you have one of these GPUs (full list of requirements here[developer.amd.com]
) that are listed below you should download and install this driver[developer.amd.com]
. AMD Radeon™ HD Graphics
7900 Series (7990, 7970, 7950)
7800 Series (7870, 7850)
7700 Series (7770, 7750)AMD Radeon™ HD Graphics
6900 Series (6990, 6970, 6950)
6800 Series (6870, 6850)
6700 Series (6790 , 6770, 6750)
6600 Series (6670)
6500 Series (6570)
6400 Series (6450)
6xxxM SeriesATI Radeon™ HD Graphics
5900 Series (5970)
5800 Series (5870, 5850, 5830)
5700 Series (5770, 5750)
5600 Series (5670)
5500 Series (5570)
5400 Series (5450)
5. Download and install SpeedFan[www.almico.com]
(or some other program that let's you control your chassis fans e.g. some motherboard software let's you do this). If you want to take extra precautions you can increase the fan speed of your chassis fan(s).
6. You will need to control your fan(s) to keep the temperature of your GPU(s) below (maximum temperature-10 degrees Celsius). If you don't know the maximum temperature of your GPU(s) you will have to Google it or search for it in the instruction manual. I recommend either AMD Catalyst[support.amd.com]
or AMD Catalyst[[url=http]
or ]MSI Afterburner. AMD Catalyst is limited to AMD GPUs but MSI Afterburner is not. If you have Catalyst and want to use MSI Afterburner turn off AMD Overdrive and you should be able to control your GPU fan(s) with Afterburner. Warning
: This is going to max out your GPU(s) so you need to make sure that temperatures stay below (maximum temperature-10 degrees Celsius) a.k.a. the safe range. After starting the client for the first time monitor the temps for 10-15 minutes until it stabilizes and make sure the temps are within the safe range, if not you need to increase the fan speeds and/or clean your computer with compressed air.