Actually, and I've warned about this possibility from the beginning, this might still be a placebo effect. In the light of the new discussions we had in the Alien AI IS better with adjusted memory usage[forums.gearboxsoftware.com]
thread, it occurred to me that actually GBX can have the users XP level influence the AI behavior in some way, even though they never ever mentioned something about it, and that the improved AI we are all observing seems more to be more likely caused by this, than by the memory budgets section modifications.
GBX haven't said anything yet about it, and until then, things are a little bit foggy, as:
a) GBX'es member statement that the memory budgets are not used at all was made after I've started messing with the memory budgets and receiving improved AI behavior reports
b) GBX'es member statement that the memory budgets are not used at all might be also wrong, as it can not account for the increased loading time, crashes when certain values are used and observed improved AI behavior and lipsynch
c) GBX never ever mentioned something about scaling the AI with user's XP level, and it is highly unlikely they've implemented such a system without having their marketing department use this info at all.
posts fore more details about the topic.
We need more tests, with and without memory budgets modifications, with low user XP level and high user XP level in order to gather more info about this (observe: loading times, used memory, HDD streaming, AI behavior, lipsynch behavior). I for one certainly do not have time for all of these.
And in the end, as they are "not used", having them modified wouldn't do any harm, right?!!
I've kept this off from this guide's info, as it could have been only a personal subjective perceiving of mine, instead a real thing. But as I've got more and more confirmations from different players using this guide, it seems that there's a real possibility that the AI behavior is better than ACM's original settings one.
Of course, all of the above are valid only for the Bad ♥♥♥
difficulty, no one bothered with testing on the other difficulty settings.
The settings were already in, starting with the version 1.4 of this guide, if I remember well, and are part of the PecanEngine.ini [MemoryBudgets] sections.
What I'm seeing in my current game:
- improved AI terrain awareness (aliens seems to be more prone to use the ceilings and the wall now)
- improved AI behavior (aliens seem to be less prone to remain "stunned" or get stuck in a bad AI state now)
- improved AI collision behavior (aliens seem to get stuck much less often now)
- improved lipsynching (marines seem to have better lipsync now)This might still be just subjective perceiving or wishful thinking, but it can not hurt to make you guys aware of this possibility, and just try to observe it for yourselves
There's not much we can do about AI without proper access to the AI code routines, something which most probably will never happen.
That's why I've said GBX (and Randy) are owing me a better AI behavior in the future patches for ACM, in exchange for all the work I put into this guide to help their customers.
There's still one thing which can be done, though.. If we'll get modding access to ACM's packed files, we might find AI behavior scripts in there, which we can improve (not so realistic expectation, as most probably the AI routines should be in included into game's code) or the NavMesh files (and this might actually be possible). I'm sure that looking through them we'll find out a lot of problems we might be able to eventually fix.
Special section dedicated to all the idiots keep pushing the "GBX guy said" argument
posts fore more details about this topic.
The fact that some person "said" something doesn't make that saying an absolute truth. If all human beings would blindly believe everything they were told as being true, the Earth would still "be flat" and all of us still somewhere in the Middle Ages.
Do you even realize the stupidity of your case, which can be reduced to a simple "he said" ?!!
Do you even realize that the said person could be.. wrong?
a) he wasn't the only one working on the code. other programmers could have used the same variables for other things without him being aware of that
b) code might have bugs
c) he said the memory budgets are NOT used at all, as the tool using them for checking is missing from the release code, YET the program loads slower, it crashes when certain values are set in there, and we are still observing a better AI behavior (which might be related with this, even if most probably not - we can not know yet ♥♥♥ GBX DID NOT COMMENTED on the improved AI behavior issue at all)
d) deleting doesn't prove it's useless, because the values could have been easily initialized with defaults from within the code if these are missing in the settings files
Do you even realize that the said person could.. lie? Even if I do not see any reason why he would do such a thing, it's still a possibility.
"He said", therefore it must be a fact, absolute truth, and by mindlessly and zealously repeating it all over the place you'll make it even more true. And of course, everything else are just lies, and people not sharing the same opinion liars, so let's go bash them and burn them and kill them all.. Rrrright?!!
What good does it serves this mindless bashing of yours? To whom? And to which purpose? Does it makes you feel better? More.. manly?
The ONLY real thing you've accomplished was to make me sick of your spoiled childish behavior, and make me regret I've did started this guide and tried to offer as much assistance with it as i could. You clearly do not deserve it, and most probably I'll think twice before trying to offer some help again in the future.
In the end, the REAL
facts are these:
- I've made this guide, and people are using it, and getting more joy from their game due to it
- after that, he said
- many users are reporting that they were using the modified memory budgets and their game seems to take longer to load, it crashes if those values are set in certain ways, AI behaves better, lipsynch seems better, which means that those memory budget values seem to be still used in some ways (despite of what "he said")
- you say he said
- an AI behavior scaled with user's XP levels (even if not usualy done for a game, much less for a FPS) seems a much better and more consistent explanation for the better AI behavior we all are witnessing then modified memory budgets
- you keep repeating that he said
- GBX has not officially commented anything on game's state itself, much less on this AI issue
- you keep to mindlessly repeating that he said
It's really ironic that GBX guy's statement is most probably right, but he, or GBX actually, needs to offer an explanation for the facts we're seeing:
- why the longer loading times, memory crashes when certain values are used if the memory budgets section is modified and yet supposedly not used at all?
- why does the AI seem to be better? is it because the AI behavior is linked with user's XP level? or to anything else beside's game's difficulty setting?