Posted: Oct 29, 2015 @ 2:29pm
Updated: Jan 29 @ 6:44am

I loved the Ultima series, back in the eighties. I liked Ultima Online, for what it was.

Shroud of the Avatar had potential, I thought, considering the upper management's experience. Wow, was I wrong.

None of this potential shows in the pre-alpha state of October 2015.
[EDIT] This has not changed as of January 2017. And I mean none. Zero. Nada.

The best summaries of the game from other reviewers:
- "Their moderators' technique toward constructive criticism is basically them admitting they know the game is crap."
- "The devs are like the three monkeys which each cover eyes, ears or mouth."

What we can clearly see is a cash grab, encouraging each Kickstarter backer to spend another few hundred dollars more than they already did - and delivering a product which calling "amateurish" would be an insult to amateurs.

The company milks dreams of players who fondly remember their gaming days with the Ultima series. All we are getting are pipe dreams.

I suggest that if you have not paid for the game yet, stay away until you see reviews of the finished result. Sometime in the 2020ies, I would guess, considering the progress in the last five years.

Unless you are a die-hard Ultima series fan, worship the ground Lord British walks on, and want to spend US$ 3,200 on a "Kobold Tax Free City Lot". Then be my guest. In this case, I have a glorious golden bridge in San Francisco to sell.
l'Original Aug 22, 2016 @ 6:02am
Survey Says: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=62051

So how much does someone have to pay for Chris to take his pants back off of his head?

Core features are a mess while Portalarium farts around on many things that should be post-release - the review's point might be more debatable if it weren't so obvious that fundraising is still a key "feature" of the game and it's still not out of Pre-Alpha.

:steamsalty: at getting busted. Pity Chris can't ban reviews like he can silence his paying customers on the forums, eh?
Joviex Nov 6, 2015 @ 1:18pm
@merusalem yes, it is hard when you are focused, but then why is the developer here arguing with people's choices instead of being actually focused on getting a good product out.

that has been the problem the entire production
merusalem Nov 4, 2015 @ 3:10am
@snotub I honestly believe that the devs have a great passion for the game, and they act in best faith. I am aware how taking a step back and viewing the whole picture is hard when you are in the trenches.
snotub Nov 4, 2015 @ 12:09am
A developer getting into an argument with a reviewer is always a red flag for me. Thanks Chris
merusalem Oct 31, 2015 @ 11:38am
The negative reviews that rate high have said it all. I am not adding additional information, because I cannot - it has all been said. I am just rating (not evaluating) the game as it is in my personal opinion and the behavior of its development company, as it presents itself to the fans, again as I perceive it.
catnipgames  [developer] Oct 30, 2015 @ 8:55am
So you're not going to tell people who might read this review what you don't like. You're just going to restate that you think it is a cash grab. K, thanks for the awesome feedback. I'm sure that really helps real users who are considering the game make an informed decision.
merusalem Oct 30, 2015 @ 7:17am
I appreciate your reply, catnipgames, I really do. And I completely understand the frustration of being employed by an organization that has come under attack from its own fans.

> Could you please actually give meaningful feedback?
Portalarium got loads of Kickstarter backer and Early Access feedback, and decided to delete it, because they did not like the negative part.

> this is "Early Access"
From the Kickstarter page: "Estimated delivery: Oct 2014"
From the game's intro: "This is pre-alpha".
From the last Portalarium announcement: "we are getting closer to launch".

> incredibly over used "Cash Grab" phrase
I call a cow "cow", and I call what looks like a desperate move to pay the bills, asking each individual customer to fund more and more of the development cost "cash grab". I would be definitely interested to hear a better term for this; I agree that the phrase is worn out, as more and more developer teams act in this way.
Dragon Demon Oct 29, 2015 @ 10:20pm
I 100% agree with you Merusalem. This game is a big cash grab. If they concentrated more on the finishing the product than screening comments I would not be so concerned. But as they seem to troll every negative comment, fuck them. Gotta ask where all the cash Lord British made from the Ultima series went? He is hardly a guy that needs a kickstart boost, this is just pure theft. Fuck Lord Theiving British and his milkmen cronies. I'm a customer, so dont tell me what to say "catnipgames", your product is shit. :d_ghost:
catnipgames  [developer] Oct 29, 2015 @ 2:50pm
Could you please actually give meaningful feedback? We are actually trying to make a game here and this is "Early Access". Jumping in to give a negative review, dropping the incredibly over used "Cash Grab" phrase and talking about other completely unrelated stuff doesn't really help us make a better game or inform people what part you think is lacking.