Posted: Jun 13, 2014 @ 5:54am

I wasn't smart enough for this game. At least, that's the conclusion I come to from reading so many glowing reviews and having such an ugly experience trying to play it.

Braid has a lovable core time-warp gimmick: if you make a mistake, you can rewind your playthrough of the level as far as you like. It makes the first several levels' platform action-puzzle gameplay forgiving and enjoyable.

Then the game starts layering additional gimmicks atop the gimmick. A level where simply moving in a particular direction reverses time for everything but you. A powerup that causes you to clone yourself when rewinding. Areas that trap objects such that they don't get rewound when everything else does.

These things sound awesome, and they could have been, if the difficulty curve didn't go stratospheric as soon as they were introduced. I found myself skipping level after level, because the solution was either so opaque and convoluted that I had no idea where to begin, or because I could see the solution, but it required such flawless timing and precision that full play sessions of practice got me no closer to success.

Then I learned that in order to finish the game, you must complete every. single. puzzle. Collect every widget in the game, cleverly disguised as bonus challenges. And I was done. Game uninstalled, added to my "Let's Not" category.
Protagonist Apr 11, 2015 @ 2:42pm
I wouldn't say gimmicks; more gameplay elements. They're not exploited and hollow. I found the game to be wonderfully fun, but yes, a few puzzle pieces were obsurdly hard to know how to get or actually get. I had to look some up.
CryonicSuspension Oct 25, 2014 @ 2:10am
Thanks. I added this game to my wishlist. "Precision" and "hardcore gaming" are my middle names.