Recent reviews by XJ9

< 1  2  3 ... 36 >
My English is still very far from perfect.
Posted February 21.
Мой русский не стал лучше
私は日本語のマスターにならなかった
Posted February 21.
I was waiting for a LOOONG time for the release of this game, and I expected a great useful game that will teach me a new language or two, I have several languages DLCs and stuff but what can I say about this game for sure:

IF YOU WANT TO LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE - THERE IS NO CHANCE YOU WILL DO IT WITH THIS GAME.

Now if you want a detailed explanation why go below, or just go look for any other teaching game.

+Visuals not bad, and you have solid fps with no lags and stuff.
-Visuals are not THAT good, and its hard to define one object from another from time to time, even more, some objects are not even pickable, which is VERY strange.
+Its a good idea to stuff a room with tons of objects you can learn about
-Very rusty, dull and unreliable controls: very unpleasant to play in general because of that problem, on top of that you have to move around the room and aim at the small objects so this is a significant problem.
+It is indeed a game supposed to teach you about various languages.
-As a game, it's just plain boring, not interesting to play at all. As a teaching material, it has little to no potential.

WORST PROBLEMS

-It won't make you fluent in any language as you expect it to do
-400 words
-Poor pronunciation
-Over 4 years since i got this game, i forced myself to play it for like 5 hours.
Posted February 21. Last edited February 21.
Posted February 10.
As difficult as it looks like when you watch youtube videos. Asians can beath this game in 2 minutes tho.
Posted January 27.
SHORT - I am a big fan of rhythm games, and I have like 10+ years experience, I was very excited to see a new rhythm game on steam but I've been left disappointed, from every single point of view.

If you want that kind of game, just buy Neon Drive instead.

LONG -

-Visuals: while the characters, menu and cutscenes look like comix stuff, the game itself looks like cheap a55 3D thing, idk what was the problem to keep it the same or at least close style.

-Sound work: this game contains one of the most annoying voice works I've seen, if you add this to the fact that all those levels are pretty long, and every time you restart, you start from the very beginning and you HAVE to listen this nonsense over and over again, the only thing that saves the day is that you can mute the voices completely, If they would cut the amount of the voice remarks x4 or at least made them randomized so you dont have to listen to same stuff over and over again that would be OK but stilll nott good. Music is good but every other sound aspect is bad.

-No controls remap - speaks for itself

-Gameplay: what is the most important thing in the RHYTHM game is the perfect synchronization of the music and stuff that is going on on the screen. Here we have - a tutorial that doesn't explain how do you get Perfect/Good/Crazy marks. Offsynced audio/obstacles pair, and in addition to that there is NO sync feature like every single other game have - You know there are 55 various reasons your audio can be not in sync with video, but there is a simple and solid solution - add a manual sync button that allows you to move audio track relative to the obstacles. Here you have to press EARLIER than beat to get Perfects and LATER than beat to get CRAZY, while hitting perfectly in the beat gives you Good 90% of the time. Another problem is that. I ASSUME that the idea of getting perfects was by hitting buttons when obstacles are in the GREEN zone in the middle, but NO for me, from audio and video points of view I get Perfects for hitting buttons at the end of the very 1st light blue zone, it's just annoying, a rhythm game where you can't rely on the rhythm Jeez.

Picking characters provides nothing but your ship skin, you see all 3 characters the whole song anyway.

+It was cheap on sale
+Cards

I do not recommend it, doesn't matter if you like rhythm games or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posted January 2. Last edited January 2.
Previously removed from steam Kek Story

In your account operations history listed as Forest Story

What to do with that info? You decide
Posted January 2.

A developer has responded on Feb 2 @ 5:50pm (view response)
As a big fan of the binging of Isaac (both versions) I got this game right away when I found it in the store, so after a couple of hours I can tell, that if you consider The binding of Isaac as an AAA roguelike dungeon action, this game would be placed somewhere between A- and B+:

+It has every single aspect of the game that Isaac has, except cinematics and multiple characters (idk maybe there are but I only played 2 hours)
+Mouse support from the box
+Glorious MS Paint artwork

^ those are strong sides. Now going to the game itself - You are 3D dude fighting 2D abominations in a 2D world, starting to think that's the reason you are not welcome there, but weapons you find here and there are 3D as well, so it's hard to tell.
+Instead of shooting tears and magic stuff, you are using way more reliable and realistic type of weaponry - rocket launchers, shotguns, pistols etc, and upgrades are more steampunkish, not magical.

Now on the weak sides.
-As much as MS Paint style is unusual, it's hard to determinate obstacles from the background surroundings, so it's hard to flee the enemies sometimes.
-There are no flash-style-bouncy-physics like you see in the Isaac (a flash game c.o.) So when you are surrounded by the enemies you won't pop outside but would be caught in the corner until you die or kill the enemy that caught you.

+Steam achievements

Well if you compare strong sides and weak sides, and add that to the fact that this game is 4 times cheaper than Isaac it is indeed a good alternative if you already sick of Isaac where you have 500-2000 hours, a good Christmas gift to your friend who likes Isaac as well.
Posted December 24, 2017. Last edited December 24, 2017.
Despite the quite big health bar, you will die a lot here, idk how it happens to me every time, but i end up with a *sudden* game over screen very often lol.

About the game itself -
+Visually good, reminds good old SNES games.
+Okay soundwork, guns and misc sounds.
+Gameplay - pretty simple, you only have 2 options - to shoot left and to shoot right (+grenades which feel like unlimited because of the number of ammo boxes), local multi.
-Controls - my problem is that there is no buttons remap feature (for now), i don't like the default controls
+Steam cards

Got the game on sale and cards basically covered 100% of the price - free small game before the new year i guess. By the way, looking at the game's poster, isn't the black guy supposed to have a bigger gun? Or just white guy compensating?
Posted December 17, 2017. Last edited December 17, 2017.
< 1  2  3 ... 36 >