Posted: Jun 24, 2015 @ 10:49am

This game is quite simply phenomenal. I've just completed it and I feel buzzed. On first impressions it might seem like another Metroid clone. However, the more you play, the more you realise that it has a unique character and personality of its own. I'd say the words spiritual successor would be most appropriate. It utilises all of the strengths of the Metroid franchise and virtually none of the weaknesses.

The game is challenging, but none of that challenge was unfair. It was obvious the developer could see the game through the player's eyes when designing it, like having save rooms spaced apart at perfect intervals (and there's always one before boss fights), the levels being designed really well, the controls being slick and smooth, and you're never forced to do silly wall jumping manoeuvres that Metroid had you do.

The visuals worked well. Most of them were just dungeons really, but everything was consistent. And the music was a whole new level of awesome, ranging from gripping atmospheric tracks to adrenaline-pumping boss battle tracks.

The game throws a variety of challenges your way, there are tonnes of weapons and unique accessories to collect that help you get stronger, plenty of secrets to find, but my favourite aspect were probably the boss fights. They were all challenging to some degree, especially the ones in the second half of the game, but each and every one of them could be beaten with the right strategy. The trick is to simply figure out that strategy and to optimize it. I kind of wish there were more of them in fact. From what I recall, the game only has 7 boss fights in total.

Since this is mostly a dungeon crawler, the story was in the background most of the time, but it had some cool and unique concepts, and the backstory cutscenes were always interesting, as they always revealed something new.

I can't really find anything major to criticise about the game, aside from the fact that it's not for everyone. If you've ever liked any of the Metroid games, or any other games with similar gameplay, you wouldn't want to miss Axiom Verge. It's slick, fun, and rewarding, exactly as games should be.