Posted: Aug 23, 2015 @ 9:01am

I'd say this game is quite underrated and even underpriced. It's a pretty standard formula of action adventure games akin to the likes of Darksiders, God of War, and Devil May Cry, and it might do everything that's been done before, but it does so very well and manages to stay fun throughout.

The gameplay is nicely balanced between combat sections, platforming, puzzles, and mini-games. You're never doing the same thing for too long, which keeps the experience fresh and entertaining. As you progress through the game, your weapon acquires different forms (scythe, twin daggers, whip, and hammer), which are useful in different situations and you can switch between them at any time. In addition you also learn some very powerful spells which are good at clearing out large crowds of enemies.

Overall the difficulty I felt was balanced perfectly. There were no unexpected difficulty spikes and most of it was a smooth ride. In the last quarter of the game it gets a bit challenging, but it does so gradually and reasonably. Only one section involving a certain collapsing underground bridge felt a bit cheap since it gave me a lot of insta-deaths, but that section was pretty short.

I really enjoyed most of the mini-games, such as the first-person shooting sections where you have to mount a turret and shoot down helicopters, or even flying one yourself, or sliding down the cliffs and dodging obstacles. No overcomplicated mechanics. Just simple and fun mini-games to give you a small break from fighting and platforming.

The plot is somewhat cheesy and lighthearted, but the main character is quite likeable, and his frequent dialogue exchanges with his sidekick, the Mask of Death, are all very funny. The length was also quite spot on for a game like this. Took me about 10 hours to beat it on Normal.

My only serious critique for this game would be the occasional crashes to desktop that I got (and it seems there are some other people who get them too). It wasn't too bad, since the game has very frequent checkpoints, so you don't lose a lot of progress, but it's still a bug.

I'd say if you enjoy action adventure games and seek something to give you heaps of entertainment, then I'd highly recommend this game. I got it for merely £4 (~$6), which is its full price on Steam and enjoyed it way more than some games which I bought for a higher price.