Posted: Oct 11, 2015 @ 5:30pm

I've been addicted to this game since I started playing it. I am not a big fan of rogue-likes in general, but this game is among few rare exceptions.

You have 4 zones to beat, each one contains 3 floors and a boss fight. Every zone has its own theme and enemies. But wait, there's more. The enemies each move to the beat in their own unique pattern, and you have to recognize it and adapt quickly. For example, some enemies might be moving along a scripted path, others try to go for you specifically, some might stay still for 2 beats and then move on the 3rd one, others might move on every beat, and so on. It's all very well done.

During your dungeon crawling, you'll also come across a lot of items of varying degrees of helpfulness. You have healing items, weapons, armour, rings, spells, and even some unusual items. Some can spawn from the start, others require unlocking via collectible diamonds. You can even remove the less useful items from the dungeons via the janitor, so that there's more chances instead for chests to contain the items you find more useful.

There is of course a fair bit of luck involved, as is pretty common with rogue-like games. At times you'll be lucky to find a nice weapon and other useful items early on, other times you'll just be spawning with enemies all around you. It is a very challenging game. You will die a lot. But you do learn to recognize the enemy movement patterns and eventually overcome them.

I also really like the whole light-hearted theme the game is going for. I think the devs pulled it off perfectly. The music is also amazing and will just drag you in to the beat.

In addition to the regular mode with the main character, you also get to unlock several other characters, which seem to have their own unique abilities (for example one of them can only confuse enemies but not kill, another is only able to use bombs, and so on). It all adds an extra challenge for those who want it. You can even go and practice fighting against specific enemies and bosses if you wish.

Great game in general. Highly recommended.
White Shadow Oct 14, 2015 @ 6:43am
Yeah lol. It's good to try things outside of your comfort zone, so I'll give it a chance. :P
Inoss🐙 Oct 14, 2015 @ 6:18am
Ok thanks already for the tips Yeah i already knew about your prudence about rogue-likes, i told you this one as you like the music's style of Danny Baranowsky (Who made the OST of Crypt of Necrodancer), who knows? You'll like maybe also Binding of Isaac?
White Shadow Oct 14, 2015 @ 5:48am
Yeah. The patterns are pretty clever. Some are very unique, like the goblins walking away from you if you're facing them, but coming in to attack you the moment you turn your back to them, or those knights which parry your hits and require you to jump away before you finish them off.

I've heard a lot of good things about Binding of Isaac. Might try it. I am generally quite cautious with rogue-likes, since I am not a big fan of them, but there are always exceptions. :P
Inoss🐙 Oct 14, 2015 @ 5:25am
I'll buy it also, i loved too the soundtrack! I'm ok with the difficulty but it's a game like you have to go deeply into it without a break or so, these patterns as you said are quite complicated to learn, so it's better to don't stop playing it too long, this is the main reason i didn't played it much yet

You should try Binding of Isaac (original version) as it has the same soundtrack's composer, it's not the same game, but it is a worthy rogue-like same as Crypt of the necrodancer. You'll need a bit of luck and firstly your own skill like the game concerned
White Shadow Oct 14, 2015 @ 4:45am
Thanks man. I like to write reviews of games. And yeah, the game is really fun. Very hard, but also very addictive. The music is phenomenal. I caved in and bought the soundtrack last night. XD
Inoss🐙 Oct 14, 2015 @ 3:21am
Great review! You taugh me some words, it's really nice to read you By the way i have to throw myself into this amazing game, nice soundtrack hé?