Posted: Jul 10, 2015 @ 5:49am

All right, so I do recommend the game, but I'll say right away that it's easily not for everyone. In short, if you're expecting a well-pieced together story, you won't find it here, but if you're after a rogue-like turn-based dungeon crawler, then this game will be right up your alley.

The presentation is probably the game's biggest strength. It's put together well in shiny visuals, clean UI, and a fun gameplay concept that takes isometric turn-based combat and makes it stealth-oriented, where you're better off avoiding the enemies rather than engaging in fights. The game is fun, if you enjoy turn-based tactics that let you plan your every ally's move.

The gameplay concept is solid, but some of its execution was a fair bit annoying to me personally. A lot of the challenge presented felt simply artificial and unfair. The raising security level each and every turn forces you to rush each mission. Exploration is simply not rewarded under this system, because the longer you stay on your mission, the more security measures will be added after every few turns, which will eventually put you in a tight spot. I never came across any way for me to freeze or reduce the security level. It's just a rush against time, but on turn-based basis.

I was also not fond of the fact that I couldn't buy any equipment for my party in between missions. The only time I could do it was if I happened to find an automated shop during missions, when I had virtually no money to spend. Of 4 agents I had in my missions, 2 were running about without weapons and just being used to sit on the guards. This brings me to another annoyance. If you don't have a weapon, you have no way to deal with the guards. No idea what sort of agents these are who can't even take out a guard from behind unless they have a tazer. Things start to get more complex when you meet enemies in armour, who are invulnerable to most weapons, and your only chance is to play a cat and mouse game where you're constantly running away.

But, I really did like being able to improve my agents in between missions by upgrading their stats, even if stats themselves did feel a bit unbalanced. Speed felt like the most useful stat by far, since it gave you more action points, with hacking being a close second, since everything requires hacking. But strength and anarchy felt next to useless. Strength only lets you carry more items, and anarchy makes you steal slightly more money from the guards.

And lastly the story, well, it was mostly on the background. The most of it you'll see is in the opening and ending cutscenes. But the rest of the game you're just dungeon-crawling really. It was pretty neat to get to pick which mission to do from a wide selection. It's very non-linear and each mission simply increases your assets - either you rescue an extra agent to add to the team, or you find some new shiny gear to use. Though because of that, it also meant that there were no story-related reasons to do any mission. You could expect the same approach in each one and merely doing as many as you can to pass 72 hours in-game before having to do the final one with what you've got.

I was also hoping there'd be some more character development. All the agents in your team were just mute puppets for you to control. They never showed any personality or had anything to say aside from a witty one-liner at the start of each mission.

Having said this, if you are a dungeon-crawl fanatic and like challenge, you should enjoy this game very much. It has higher difficulty modes, as well as an endless mode too where you have to survive for as long as you can. Overall, it's a worthy game to try and I have had my fair share of fun with it, even though the main campaign is rather on the short side.
White Shadow Nov 14, 2015 @ 10:47am
You're welcome.
Rizilliant Nov 14, 2015 @ 10:22am
very much.. Thank you..sounds like combat is the same, but outside combat is more stealthy movement, or something... Very cool
White Shadow Nov 14, 2015 @ 10:01am
I'd say it's quite similar in terms of the battle sections, except Shadowrun seems more focused on the use of actual combat skills, whereas here you're encouraged to avoid it instead, but the grid-based movement combined with each party member taking an individual turn is pretty much the same.

It's also more like a dungeon crawler, so you just play from one mission to another and there's not really any story in between, whereas with Shadowrun you often had other locations to visit and NPCs to speak to.

Hope this helps. :)
Rizilliant Nov 14, 2015 @ 9:45am
It looks like an attempt to clone Shadowrun... How would you compare this to Shadowrun, as i recently purchased, and completed SR:R, and SR:DF DC.. Ive since started playign community created campaigns, and have loved every minute..

Is it a Shadowrun knockoff?
White Shadow Sep 25, 2015 @ 4:19pm
Yeah, it was a bit too unpredictable, so you couldn't exactly prepare, not to mention, you're not likely to know where the guards will even come from. At the very least they seemed to indicate which security cameras are about to switch on.
Pasteyuri Sep 25, 2015 @ 3:43pm
The dumbest thing that ever happened to me was on the last mission.
I had all my agents in the right place but, the problem was that i was out of juice. Im thinking ok i HAVE to do something (because theres like 10 gaurds with omni shields at this point) so, i use one agent to bait out the gaurds to buy some time.
Well this caused the alarm tracker to increase and BOOM two of my other agents are located and that pretty much put me 3 agents shorter, total crap shoot from there...
Wish there was a way to tell what the next alarm level will do next....
White Shadow Sep 25, 2015 @ 3:09pm
It depends on the game, I guess. I did pretty well on Deus Ex and Dishonoured for example, but some other games, when there's a choice between full out assault or stealth, I go for the assault. More fun this way. XD
Whiteswart Sep 25, 2015 @ 2:14pm
Wait. You're saying you're not good in stealth? C'mon!
White Shadow Aug 30, 2015 @ 4:32pm
Yeah. Hopefully if they make a sequel, it will have more story and character development.
Pasteyuri Aug 30, 2015 @ 4:24pm
Yeah i feel like there was close to nothing on the story for this game, makes it feel a lot shorter than it is and its pretty short to begin with